Lock for Turbo Como Low Entry

WFG

I recently purchased a Turbo Como 4.0 Low Entry. My first electric bike and I LOVE it! I am trying to figure out the best locking solution given the larger tires and low entry frame design. I envision only leaving the bike for short periods of time such as a trip into the grocery store or coffee shop, or a short walk around in a suburban or beach area. I have done lots of research on locks and understand the pros and cons of the different manufacturers, designs and security levels, and that any lock can be defeated with the right tools and time. I also understand the priority of locking the frame first, rear tire and then front tire. Ideally I would like to lock the frame and rear tire if possible, but could probably live with locking just the frame. My objective is to have something light but reasonably secure. I would prefer to not lug around a heavier chain, but there is something to be said for their flexibility. All that said, I think an Abus folding lock may be the best bet. I have the Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500/85 to try out and can return it to the LBS if it does not work out. I like the weight and portability of the lock vs. a chain. I have been able to lock the bike to a stationary object in a couple of situations and in others the was just not long enough. I am thinking of getting the 6500/110 or the less secure Big 6000/120. First question is are either of these susceptible to a twist attack? Also wondering if the 6000/120 is good enough for the scenarios I described. Looking for comments on the longer locks and am also open to other suggestions .
(I just joined the forum and this is my first post, so please be gentle😷.)

Hello, WFG, and welcome to the forums. I have both a heavy chain and an Abus folding lock and use them in different applications. I ordered the Abus folding lock keyed alike to my battery lock and store the lock in its holster attached to frame's bottles bosses.

1596987556418.jpeg

Folding locks are more convenient to store but less secure than u-locks or chains. I personally would not worry about twisting attacks. If I was buying a folding lock, I would get the longer size because in all likelihood a thief would cut either one just as fast. For that same reason, I would not spend the extra money for the higher rated lock in order to delay a thief literally only a few seconds more. If anything, it would be better to carry and use a few cheaper locks than one expensive one.

Back