Local Police Cracks Down On E-Bikes, Is This The Solution?

Ofer,

Prospect Theory was invented by one of Tel Aviv's own residents, the world renowned, Dr. Daniel Kahneman from Princeton Univ.

Daniel Kahneman is an Israeli-American psychologist notable for his work on the psychology of judgment and decision-making, as well as behavioral economics, for which he was awarded the 2002 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. Wikipedia

I cannot speak for Israel, only for my town. I feel the city planners are responsible for laying out public policy in an established framework. The framework must be an existing standard that most people will acknowledge. The different interests must attend public meetings. The issues are moderated by city planners. The solutions are explained as tradeoffs according to an established procedure.

The problem is city planners are perceived or stigmatized as favoring one side or the other. In the past, bicyclists were simply run off the road. The bike lane was given to local homeowners for off-street parking. So to counteract the imbalance, bicyclists launched a counterattack. Now car commuters feel under-represented. Or, at least, such is their strategy.

Public policy must be transparent and objective to avoid resentment. My understanding is Copenhagen was only able to make the city bike-friendly after a great deal of civil unrest. I obviously favor pedestrian and bicyclists. The political process needs to be unbiased to balance conflicting interests.

I like the approach of the TelAviv dealers; selling cheap eBikes.. In America there is a calculated marketing scheme to drain American wallets of thousands of dollars for the pleasure of riding an eBike 20 miles. What a scam!
I think that prices in the US reflect the market realities here:

1) Household income in the US is 2X higher than it is in Israel, which means people can afford pay more for things, which means prices find an equilibrium point that is higher.

2) Americans have a commute distance of 18.8 miles according to the 2006-2010 study by the US Census Bureau, whereas the average commute in Tel Aviv is nearly half that distance (15km/10mi).

The best e-bikes for Americans will cost $2,000-$4,000 and have longer ranges, higher top speeds, and slightly better parts.

I think that prices in the US reflect the market realities here:

1) Household income in the US is 2X higher than it is in Israel, which means people can afford pay more for things, which means prices find an equilibrium point that is higher.

2) Americans have a commute distance of 18.8 miles according to the 2006-2010 study by the US Census Bureau, whereas the average commute in Tel Aviv is nearly half that distance (15km/10mi).

The best e-bikes for Americans will cost $2,000-$4,000 and have longer ranges, higher top speeds, and slightly better parts.

True per capita GDP (PPP) is $52000 in USA vs $32000 in Israel.

And eBike marketers have priced their bikes in USA and Europe accordingly, maximizing their profit margins...

Last edited:
True per capita GDP (PPP) is $52000 in USA vs $32000 in Israel.

And eBike marketers have priced their bikes in USA and Europe accordingly, maximizing their profit margins...
Joe,

I agree to a limited extent. The total cost is a consideration. Take battery replacement cost. Are initial and total costs proportionate? Is true value being delivered? I shake my head in disbelief at some of the replacement costs for proprietary battery systems.

Last edited:
Back