List of good sellers of inexpensive Bafang kits and for batteries with good name-brand cells

Your country matters. You're in Canada, use grin tech of vancouver.
Brand name of cell doesn't matter. Some builders use panasonic or samsung flashlight cells, which have the same base number as the bicycle cells and 1/6 the rated discharge current. 1/4 the price, too.

I bought from GRIN technologies and second the recommendations from the previous poster. They are a bunch of engineers and were very helpful in all aspects of the conversion of my Tern Verge Si8.

Your country matters. You're in Canada, use grin tech of vancouver.
Brand name of cell doesn't matter. Some builders use panasonic or samsung flashlight cells, which have the same base number as the bicycle cells and 1/6 the rated discharge current. 1/4 the price, too.
Indeed. Thank you for giving overview.

I'd like to make the thread useful to other people in any country. Appraising the cells is something that each buyer would need to pay attention to. To make a purchase, I'd personally need to believe that the cells ARE name-brand cells from Sanyo/Panasonic, Samsung, or LG, and, as well, that the cell type is appropriate for purpose.
I'd want to know that shipping was not long-delayed, and secondly, that the delivered items were as claimed. For discharge characteristics, info sheets are available, I'm looking into various offered ones such as Samsung INR18650-35E, but knowing what the data means, is a whole other story.

If the seller doesn't say in writing what kind of cells, I wouldn't consider buying. As far as to where they can be shipped to, Individual readers can find out for their own location.

Grin cost looks too high for my budget at about $1000 plus tax and $80 shipping for a 48V 14Ah battery; about $1200?

I'd like to make the thread useful to other people in any country.
Crossing the border once with a product made in a 3rd country is bad enough. Heard of the UPS/fed ex customs loan fee? About $20 I hear plus the customs itself. If a warrenty problem occurs crossing the border twice is intensly stupid. I'd like to use grin, but I'm in the US.
I bought two alleged batteries from vendors that specified what brand of cells (samsung) and a lot of other useful numbers. Only neither battery would put out 5 amps into a 10 ohm load fully charged (50 is normal). I bought a luna battery with unspecified brand cells and it works great. $630 for 17 AH 48 v in 2018. Luna is in California. Shipping in Canada is more of an expense than in the US I hear - something about courriers to many locations?
Toronto is a big city. Should be something available there for local pickup.

Crossing the border once with a product made in a 3rd country is bad enough. Heard of the UPS/fed ex customs loan fee? About $20 I hear plus the customs itself. If a warrenty problem occurs crossing the border twice is intensly stupid. I'd like to use grin, but I'm in the US.
I bought two alleged batteries from vendors that specified what brand of cells (samsung) and a lot of other useful numbers. Only neither battery would put out 5 amps into a 10 ohm load fully charged (50 is normal). I bought a luna battery with unspecified brand cells and it works great. $630 for 17 AH 48 v in 2018. Luna is in California. Shipping in Canada is more of an expense than in the US I hear - something about courriers to many locations?
Toronto is a big city. Should be something available there for local pickup.
I've been looking and looking, the shops are not very reasonable.
You're right though.
Golden Motors seems to be reporting actual values. Panasonic 18650GA 3450 mAh Cells
48V13.6AH Panasonic Shark Pack
Subtotal $CAD 783. $USD 600

I've had pretty good luck so far. Everything I've purchased, from several vendors, has been as advertised. Only once have I had a bad experience and that was from an Amazon dealer. He sold me a controller that had no cruise or regen functions, though it was advertised as having them. After a LOT of messing around, I decided the 40 dollar refund wasn't worth it and wrote it off as a bad deal.

Latest buy, a Mac 12t hub motor from EM3EV, came from China after just a few days. They have a pretty good reputation. I would deal with them in again in a heartbeat.

I've had pretty good luck so far. Everything I've purchased, from several vendors, has been as advertised. Only once have I had a bad experience and that was from an Amazon dealer. He sold me a controller that had no cruise or regen functions, though it was advertised as having them. After a LOT of messing around, I decided the 40 dollar refund wasn't worth it and wrote it off as a bad deal.

Latest buy, a Mac 12t hub motor from EM3EV, came from China after just a few days. They have a pretty good reputation. I would deal with them in again in a heartbeat.
I watched videos of their business; very reassuring. Price is good and they seem to make a higher value product.
52V (14S5P) EM3ev Jumbo Shark Options - 52V 14.3Ah (14S5P-PF) Shark + shipping
USD $504.94
CAD $658.93

I have a 500w Bafang hub kit from Bluenergy and a battery from Joyisi on Amazon. You can get a full conversion, quality battery, and a color display for $800.

Bluenergy at AliExpress

Joyisi 13AH 48v battery

I electrified my Electra Townie in November 2018. I'm now approaching 1400 miles ridden.

Electra Townie conversion with kit from Bluenergy
Nice.
For a battery w charger to Canada I'm looking at this one for $545 USD.

http://recycles-ebike.com/home/102-...battery-for-bafang-1000w-bbshd-motor-kit.html

• Voltage:48v
  • Type:Lithium Battery
  • Nominal Capacity:17.5Ah
  • Cells:Sanyo NCR18650GA 3.7V 3450mAh 10A 3C Cells
  • BMS:30 Amp continuous 120Amp maximum
  • Fit Motor Power:Less than 1200W
  • Composed Type:13Series 5Paralles 13S5P
  • Charger:54.6V 2A
  • Dimensions:90*110*360mm
  • Battery Weight:4.5kg

I purchased a Bafang front wheel conversion and battery from Greenergia through Amazon. After a month of waiting and tracking it all over the world, I contacted Amazon and they found it and had it delivered. The wheel kit finally arrived in the most beat-up taped/re-taped carton, I have ever seen. All the Styrofoam shipping details were broken/crumbled. Bags of small parts were open and parts were strewn and loose. Surprisingly everything was there.

I ride it daily and love my e-bike. I'm 71 years old and this the BEST exercise for me. Four to six mile trips with only moderate hills.

~Lee

I purchased a Bafang front wheel conversion and battery from Greenergia through Amazon. After a month of waiting and tracking it all over the world, I contacted Amazon and they found it and had it delivered. The wheel kit finally arrived in the most beat-up taped/re-taped carton, I have ever seen. All the Styrofoam shipping details were broken/crumbled. Bags of small parts were open and parts were strewn and loose. Surprisingly everything was there.

I ride it daily and love my e-bike. I'm 71 years old and this the BEST exercise for me. Four to six mile trips with only moderate hills.

~Lee
Lee, thank you letting me know your experience with the seller and the equipment and the delivery. I've been looking at their stuff as a likely source and also stanmiller's conversion kit brand, Bluenergy. His particular battery seller doesn't ship here, but others do.
Any packaging can be abused, but arriving in that kind of condition is a bit much. It even seems against the odds that everything was still enclosed and all was OK. Happy for you!
I've had a small package go to Bolivia and months later show up in Canada a little beat up. Normally I expect a package might go to a second country or even originate from different country than China, but going to Bolivia I assume was an accident.

👍I ordered a battery at the same time; it promptly arrived in pristine condition. The wheel/hub kit went across China, Laos, Thailand, and Malaysia to finally depart Singapore to the USA where it got misplaced/mishandled. I pictured third world residents driving donkeys laden with goods through insect and snake infested jungles during monsoons, all while keeping my package intact and dry. It got misplaced and lost in the USA until I complained to Amazon. They got involved and found my package. It was personally handed to me on a Sunday evening.

I really enjoy daily my four to six mile cruises. At first I used PAS level three and four and had fun at 15 to 23 MPH. Now I stay in PAS One and tour at about 13-14 MPH pedaling more and getting a really great workout. I have yet to see another e-biker and admit I enjoy the time alone.

~Lee

I was seeing an increase of all kinds of riders and ebikes until a month ago and now suddenly see old guys with new ready made ebikes EVERYWHERE I go. Can't go anywhere without seeing them.

I was seeing an increase of all kinds of riders and ebikes until a month ago and now suddenly see old guys with new ready made ebikes EVERYWHERE I go. Can't go anywhere without seeing them.
Old guys rule! LOL I do feel guilt I admit passing non-Ebikes. I think its good for getting people out of house/ cars and enjoying life getting some exercise.

Back