List of e-bike brands not made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroutMD

I am looking to purchase my first e-bike, can someone please suggest brands which are NOT made or assembled in China, NOT owned by a Chinese company and containing as few Chinese components as possible?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking to purchase my first e-bike, can someone please suggest brands which are NOT made or assembled in China, NOT owned by a Chinese company and containing as few Chinese components as possible?

Thanks in advance.
Your Choices are likely none.

Thank you. I will check out Amego.

I realize finding a bike with no Chinese components is unlikely, but I just want to make a conscious effort to avoid buying one Made in China.

I think Rohloff hub /shifting is made in Germany but is 2grand.
Most frames are made in China. Shimano, Sram, Tektro, Magura all made in China, Taiwan or Malayasia.

If the assembly is outside China how can you check ? Only with video from factory floor , whether is in Europe, Us or other countries.

Pedego frames are made in Vietnam or Taiwan. I believe if you call Pedego customer support they can give you more information.
(800) 646-8604

I have no connection to Pedego except as a customer.

Thanks in advance.

The back of an iPhone, it says, " Designed by Apple in California, assembled in China." It would be pretty difficult to find a bike that did not have components made in China.

99% of the suspension forks are built in Asia. Even some famed Taiwanese companies have contracts in China.
99% of the drivetrain components are made in Asia (Taiwan, China, Japan).
100% of all eBike frames in Asia (China, Taiwan, Vietnam).
99% of all saddles are made in Asia. (except few like Brooks or Selle Anatomica..)
99% of the eBike chargers are made in Asia (look at the back of Yamaha or Bosch chargers!)

So you get the idea.

I think TroutMD is trying to

MAGA-Mesh-Red_grande_deacfdea-ceb8-4324-85e7-2ef5ae0f63e8_1000x.jpg

99% of the suspension forks are built in Asia. Even some famed Taiwanese companies have contracts in China.
99% of all saddles are made in Asia. (except few like Brooks or Selle Anatomica..)
99% of the eBike chargers are made in Asia (look at the back of Yamaha or Bosch chargers!)
And probably more than 90% of batteries too. It's hard to find anything not made in China and it will only get worse, the situation is past the point of no return.

Amego make low-cost kit bikes from mostly Chinese components, their folding bike looks exactly the same as the one by Magnum, maybe even made on the same factory. Oddly, this folder has some German parts, though just a few. Germany is increasingly moving their (traditionally strong) manufacturing to China as well, so I am not 100% positive that their displays, motors etc on Amego are not made in China. Don't have one, can't look at the labels.

TroutMD - this question comes up here now and then, I think mostly due to tariffs rather than conscience or patriotism. People don't want to pay the price, literally and metaphorically speaking. The closest you can get to non-China anything, is to buy from a company that does most of their design not in China. As to the ownership, there are quite a lot of brands on that long list in the forum "Discussion by Brand" are not owned by Chinese company, not yet.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder, what's the deal with wanting to avoid products made in China? It can't be quality, because you can get quality components from China. It can't be price, because even with the tariffs, the prices aren't bad. I hope it's not xenophobia, because I prefer to think well of our fellow ebikers.

@Ravi Kempaiah posted a pretty convincing list of why it would be hard to put a bike together, even starting from scratch in a kit-build sort of approach, without using Chinese parts somehow. I suppose it could be done, but I can't help wondering, why?

I can't help but wonder, what's the deal with wanting to avoid products made in China? It can't be quality, because you can get quality components from China. It can't be price, because even with the tariffs, the prices aren't bad. I hope it's not xenophobia, because I prefer to think well of our fellow ebikers.

@Ravi Kempaiah posted a pretty convincing list of why it would be hard to put a bike together, even starting from scratch in a kit-build sort of approach, without using Chinese parts somehow. I suppose it could be done, but I can't help wondering, why?
The Simple Fact is Our money needs to be kept in the U.S. for U.S. based products. We all need to be Less dependent on Foreign goods. Our economy will only improve by doing this. Why bolster the economy in other Countries ... Unless they are Allies. We have suitable products right Here in the U.S. that Will do what we need if we think about it. ?

Why bolster the economy in other Countries ... Unless they are Allies.
Especially the economy of a dictatorship with undisguised and active plans of global conquest. For the last few decades their point of view has been that the rest of the world is at "war" with China and thus must be conquered with whatever means available.
There is a nice British documentary, watch from time-stamp 35.35: China: Triumph and Turmoil.

The Simple Fact is Our money needs to be kept in the U.S. for U.S. based products. We all need to be Less dependent on Foreign goods. Our economy will only improve by doing this. Why bolster the economy in other Countries ... Unless they are Allies. We have suitable products right Here in the U.S. that Will do what we need if we think about it. ?

Can you give specific and recent examples of countries that have accomplished that?

I can think of two: North Korea and Albania.

Keep in mind that "trade" is both buying and selling. So if we stop buying their stuff they will stop buying our stuff. That might not sound so bad, but if you lived in Iowa or Nebraska you might have a very different opinion.

Please read some history on trade wars and tariffs. They are not happy histories.

So you get the idea.

That’s not quite accurate, 100% of ebike frames are not made in Asia, there are aluminum bicycle frame manufacturing facilities in lower cost European countries like Portugal, Poland, and Romania, and lots of independent steel frame builders everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back