Lineo Tail Light

Bruce Arnold

The Lineo Tail Light is pretty good. Nice and bright, and visible out to the sides. Big reflector, too. It comes with 2 AA batteries installed. They should run for a good long while; it's only 2 LEDs after all. There's a light on the top edge, next to the on button, that flashes when the battery gets low.

Mine started flashing a couple of days ago. So much for a good long while. Spanninga must use cheap batteries.

There are no instructions with the bike. Not with mine, anyway.

Internet to the rescue. I found a manual on the Spanninga website. The latch to remove the body from the rear plate (which is bolted to the rack) is underneath the light.

Too close to the rear fender to get my finger on it. So I came in from the side of the rack, at about a 45 degree angle, with a narrow knife (the one on my Gerber multitool worked fine) and unattached the body. Replaced the batteries. Snapped it back on.

Just for future reference for you clowns. You'll thank me some day. :cool:

My bike's Lineo is a distant memory in the rearview mirror.

At least, it would have been a distant visual if had I been looking when it fell off. How it popped off when I jumped a curb is a mystery because it is really hard to spring the Lineo from its clip-base. When it is snapped home it is tight!

Instead of replacing the lost Lineo, today I use my other bike's Cygolite Hotshot 100 on a Cygolite rear rack clip. An inch and a half stack of nylon spacers from Home Depot and a pair of 1 3/4" 8-32 screws were needed to bring the unit rearward so its mini USB port is accessible. I have cut the removal tab and screwed and glued the light to the mount to prevent pilfering. The special mini USB cord remains plugged in for convenient charging, for rainwater cannot enter from the bottom of the housing and the open charging port vents any moisture that does tend to seep into this sort of Cygolite.

(I happen to like Cygolite products in general. The HotShot 100 is insanely bright even in brightest daylight and its various modes can be independently preset for brightness or flash speed. In the picture you cannot see the small shim placed just behind the light between it and the mount plate, to aim the Hotshot a few degrees up from horizontal, for maximum projection of its eyeball blinding power. This sort of a light is a beacon in daylight from even 500 feet away.)

Attachments

• 20180403_160420.jpg
    20180403_160420.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
My CCS came with dead batteries in the light. Juiced sent me this video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ympo6k8dlmtvu1s/IMG_2415.MOV?dl=0

They're using a small flathead screwdriver on it. I don't want to risk scratching and marking the fender so I just decided to use a small socket wrench and just unbolt the light from the rear rack. Takes longer, but probably won't have to be done often.
Shouldn't have to be done often at all with fresh batteries - like we've both got now. LOL.

I'll probably use a flathead screwdriver next time. The Gerber was what I had with me at the moment. Worked well enough.

Shouldn't have to be done often at all with fresh batteries - like we've both got now. LOL.

I'll probably use a flathead screwdriver next time. The Gerber was what I had with me at the moment. Worked well enough.
FWIW - I swapped the initial batteries after just a couple of weeks thinking they were already empty. But ultimately realized, that the batteries were not making good contacts at all times. Even with the new batteries, sometimes the light wouldn't come on, sometimes it just flashed rapidly. I stretched the springs a bit in the battery compartment to make sure they make solid contact and that seemed to have solved the issue.

Back