Light weight eBikes review

Solom01

I understand that the cost of running the site has to be covered, but is there any way to review the growing category of light-weight eBikes such as the Orbea Gain, Bianchi Aria, Pinarello and so forth? By reviewing bikes only from those who pay for it we keep getting reviews of the same brands and types of bikes - basically the heavy bikes full of gadgets and stuff that may be perfect for many of the readers, but totally ignores those who want a light weight bike with quick handling. There is obviously some interest in these bikes because even though they are quite expensive they seem to sell well and are rarely in stock, and they appeal to an entirely different group of people from those who want heavy, fully loaded bikes and have gotten a lot of attention from magazines and sites that cater to bike riders. They're almost like a bridge between analog road bikes and the bikes covered here. I doubt that any of these brands want to pay for reviews when they're getting lots of coverage from other publications so is there some flexibility to review bikes that are creating a new category that could interest a lot of forum members?

I'd also like to see some light e-road bike reviews, but I imagine it's not easy getting these new breed of lightweight e-road bikes for review purposes. They've only just started becoming available in the US market, so it will probably take some time for dealers to actually have promo bikes in stock to test ride.

With the new Bosch motors I am hoping some manufacturers make a gravel ebike that weighs no more than 40 lbs, and hopefully less than 35 lbs that has 250+ watts of power and around 100 km range.

I always wanted a lightweight ebike in the 25 lb to 30 lb range, but with the improvements in energy density for batteries and the reduced weight of the new Bosch motors I think the weight difference between lightweight systems and something like Bosch is getting to be only around 5 lbs to 6 lbs and the difference in range is significant. I think I'd accept another 5 lbs. of weight compared to the xmotion system for a mid drive and double the battery capacity.

The Cannondale Synapse Neo looks interesting. It comes in a gravel version and weighs just under 40 pounds. It has a 500w battery and a 250w Bosch Active Line Plus motor.
I'd like to take this bike out for a test ride, but I can't find a Cannondale dealer within a 100 miles that has one in stock.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.12.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.12.13 AM.png
    684.4 KB · Views: 521
The Cannondale Synapse Neo looks interesting. It comes in a gravel version and weighs just under 40 pounds. It has a 500w battery and a 250w Bosch Active Line Plus motor.
I'd like to take this bike out for a test ride, but I can't find a Cannondale dealer within a 100 miles that has one in stock.

We must think alike because I have my eye on that bike. I really like it as well, but the local Cannondale dealer doesn't stock it, just a special order item. I want to ride the bike before I commit serious dollars to it. Besides knowing that Bosch has revamped their motor lineup, I don't want to buy the Synapse with the old Bosch motor, I want the new one!

Like you I wouldn't buy this bike without a test ride. I'd also wait for the bike to come with the new Bosch motor.

Yes, I'm going to wait another 4 months and check back to see if the LBS will stock a Synapse Neo with the new Bosch motor.

If you get a chance to ride one, would love to hear your impressions of it. If I get a test ride I'll post back in this forum about my thoughts.

Our local dealer has a EVO Bushwick bike for $1900 that is roughly 40#. Any reviews out there on this bike? It's a rear hub 350w 36v with only a 7.8ah smart battery. The info I could find says its rated for 20mph and a 50 mile range? I wonder if a bigger battery pack could be installed and/or rebuilt?? Appreciate y'alls thoughts on this! Ted

Yes, I'm going to wait another 4 months and check back to see if the LBS will stock a Synapse Neo with the new Bosch motor.

If you get a chance to ride one, would love to hear your impressions of it. If I get a test ride I'll post back in this forum about my thoughts.

A side note, I had the chance to ride the Synapse’s little brother, Cannondale Quick Neo. It was agile, quick, and lightweight. And at only 40 lbs easier to lift than many other ebikes. However the small frame was just a smidgen too big for me. And no mid-step or step thru. Otherwise, I would have one!

So it does seem like there is some interest in these types of eBikes. It is an interesting category where for the most part people want a light, quick bike without all the stuff such as kickstands, large digital displays, fenders, large batteries, etc. that another group wants in eBikes. Even things that people take for granted (like mid drives being better than hub drives) get turned around, since plenty of reviews prefer the rear hub drive since it seems to have less drag when you aren't using electric power - which is often the case with these bikes. Hope there's a way to review some of these bikes in the forum since I've found that European forums seem to be the place to get reviews and opinions on these bikes from people who primarily are analog cyclists but just need or want a bit of extra help.

So it does seem like there is some interest in these types of eBikes. It is an interesting category where for the most part people want a light, quick bike without all the stuff such as kickstands, large digital displays, fenders, large batteries, etc. that another group wants in eBikes. Even things that people take for granted (like mid drives being better than hub drives) get turned around, since plenty of reviews prefer the rear hub drive since it seems to have less drag when you aren't using electric power - which is often the case with these bikes. Hope there's a way to review some of these bikes in the forum since I've found that European forums seem to be the place to get reviews and opinions on these bikes from people who primarily are analog cyclists but just need or want a bit of extra help.

Which European forums?

I recently went to Ribble's online site to look at their Endurance SLe model. This looks to be a very nice, light e-road bike for a great price and the good news is that the website listed the bike's price in Canadian dollars.
The bad news is when I tried to order the bike I got a notice that they don't ship to Canada.....DAMN!

I hate it when companies sell things/services in the US but not Canada or vice versa - what a pain. Are you close enough to the US border where you could have it shipped to a freight forwarder in the US and just pick it up and take it back home, or would that be a hassle getting through customs?

My bike a Ribble SLe , they say it’s 11.5 kg but I haven’t weighed it myself . I’m getting around 90 miles per charge

Attachments

• 79BA91D6-47B2-4916-ADBA-03D1ED39FC30.jpeg
    79BA91D6-47B2-4916-ADBA-03D1ED39FC30.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 508
I
I hate it when companies sell things/services in the US but not Canada or vice versa - what a pain. Are you close enough to the US border where you could have it shipped to a freight forwarder in the US and just pick it up and take it back home, or would that be a hassle getting through customs?

I live on Vancouver Island, which is off the coast of the province of British Columbia. To get to the US I have to take a ferry. Does Ribble ship to the US?

pdisley, I love the factory custom paint option. Very nice!

Those EU bikes are light, but also limited to 16 mph.

Wishing for at least Class 1 really with my Vado's doing Class 3 I won't be switching soon (but can't help but envy the weight).

We have difficulty getting these new lightweight e-road bikes here in Canada, but a least we have a more realistic top speed (20mph/32kph). EU's law to limit the top speed of ebikes to 16mph is bureaucratic BS at its worst.
I find even 32kph to be too low. My Pedego Ridgerider's top speed has been increased to 40kph (easily done through the screen controls) and I'm happy with that limit. It's not often I need motor assist in the 32-40kph range, but it sure it nice to have it when I need it.

With these lightweight bikes the lower speed cut out actually makes more sense. The battery on these are typically are 250W and with a 20mph cut off they won’t last very long at all. The main point I’d say is that they are useful on any uphill section/ flat with headwinds and the rest of the time you’re pretty much using human power only.

Back