Level 1 cadence vs torque sensing

flyingjack

Region
USA
Anyone know if there is any way I can swap my 2022 Level cadence sensing to the newer Level 2 torque sensing OR is there an after market system that is doable?

assuming the torque sensing bottom bracket is interchangeable, you could swap that out, and get the compatible controller and display from Aventon.

Check out www.ebikes.ca for aftermarket systems

Tom- thank for suggestion; sent them and email looking for help. As expected, Aventon was of no help; basically, can't be done so buy a new Level 2.

Tom- thank for suggestion; sent them and email looking for help. As expected, Aventon was of no help; basically, can't be done so buy a new Level 2.
"No help" because the Chinese engineers didn't allow for updating past models, or "no help" because they didn't tell you want you wanted to hear? You emailed and they replied, sounds like they helped.

No help, because they said no way to change 2022 Level to 3 month newer Level 2. Answer was- quote: "sorry about that".

Are you just trying to pick a fight or what? How does emailing asking for help and responding email stating 'sorry about that" constitute "sounds like they helped"?

No help, because they said no way to change 2022 Level to 3 month newer Level 2. Answer was- quote: "sorry about that".

Are you just trying to pick a fight or what? How does emailing asking for help and responding email stating 'sorry about that" constitute "sounds like they helped"?
Specifically, what kind of help did you want or expect? When you buy a car and a mid year release of the next model year has improvements you like, do you contact the dealer and ask for help? I do get irritated when someone presents an issue that smells of entitlement. You bought a bike and now they improved it, why didn't they help you? I don't get the complaint.

Last edited:

Yeah, I had two Levels, sold one. I've been happy with the bikes but when I asked Aventon what the BMS amp limit was, they refused to answer, acknowledging that they had the answer, just wouldn't give it up, and it's not like it's proprietary information. They will not help you at all if you are going to mod your bike. Also, the U.S. operation/techs are all about plug and play. They don't know much except just replace this part, replace that part. They have limited knowledge about the electrical systems underlying ebikes.

Anyone know if there is any way I can swap my 2022 Level cadence sensing to the newer Level 2 torque sensing OR is there an after market system that is doable?
Torque sensing requires 2 parts basically. The sensor, which is pretty easy to source out and not terribly expensive. Then there's the controller (one that's able to use input from the actual sensor, most controllers will not), which is much more difficult as the only place you're going to get it is from Aventon. There's another option, but that's going aftermarket, to a controller sold by Grin. That's going to get pretty technical and require a LOT of understanding on your part. Then there's the price. I don't think it's worth it. You'd likely be further ahead selling your bike and buying the updated one.

I believe the OP confuses the subtle differences in eBike companies today. So many of the small companies are just importers and shippers. They receive eBikes in boxes and ship eBikes in boxes. That's it. All the technical work, including engineering, is done in China. Nothing is engineered here except for the colors and stickers put on the eBikes. Now remember, this is just my experience and by no way would I know how every company works. But taking my experience from early Sondors. There the technical assistance was referred to a Facebook owner's group and technical repairs were done by a guy in his apartment who received parts from Sondors.

rich c; as you are still dissing me I guess I'll respond. I bought Aventon from a local dealer (paid extra rather than online order) to get the benefits of hopefully someone having to fall back on for repairs etc. Your previous entitlement jab; as far as the car purchase analogy: there are car/truck recalls; AD (advisor directives) and similar for airplanes; and basic bring it in for changes/upgrades for heavy equipment- Caterpillar, John Deere, Komatsu etc, all of which I've owned over the last 50 yrs of self employment. So please don't tell me how the world of purchasing a fairly large ticket item is not subject to getting help for upgrades or changes works as I am about as far from being entitled as there is. You don't know me so let's just please drop this issue.

Back