Letting go of my ST2 for another ebike

chgofirefighter

Thinking about getting rid of my ST2 for another better capable ebike. Chicago streets are just horrible to ride a bike that has no suspension. Yes I have the bodyfloat seat suspension but I still want a better ride quality. This bike is a dream to ride once you’re on good pavement but when you are riding on rough, pot filled streets well not so much.

I want a bike that has a nice suspension system such as the Haibikes Xduro full seven S 7.0 or a Bulls E-Stream evo, or something to that effect. The only issue is that I am used to the power, performance and range of the ST2 battery and engine, I’m not familiar with mid drive engines, but Bosch and Yamaha seem to be making a name for themselves. Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks~

How difficult is it to add front suspension forks to the St2? I tried work commuting with the front suspension locked out and it wasn't fun at 16-20 mph. Open suspension and bodyfloat work for me.

I even saw a lot of handlebar suspension stems. The StaFast looks like the top of the line model. Don't know if those can be added to the ST2 by itself or in combo with the front suspension forks: http://www.cyclingabout.com/suspension-stems-making-your-ride-smoother/

Stafast-Suspension-Stem.jpg

How difficult is it to add front suspension forks to the St2? I tried work commuting with the front suspension locked out and it wasn't fun at 16-20 mph. Open suspension and bodyfloat work for me.

I even saw a lot of handlebar suspension stems. The StaFast looks like the top of the line model. Don't know if those can be added to the ST2 by itself or in combo with the front suspension forks: http://www.cyclingabout.com/suspension-stems-making-your-ride-smoother/

View attachment 15606

A Fox front suspension for about $700! for a bike that already retails at $6,999. Do the math! You can get a complete bike with full suspension for far less...

You will lose more money then the cost of the suspension to sell your bike. If you get the suspension you have a bike that you like with the big battery and power with suspension.

I would ride my wife's st1 (w/suspension) more them my st2 until I replaced the fork when I first got my bike. I have over 9000 miles on my bike now

Thoughts or recommendations?

The roads in my area might have the same "quality". But it's the speed which makes the shocks!

If you ride with mostly 35km/h, a suspension fork might help. If you try to keep 45 km/h, the current setting (BodyFloat, carbon fork, balloon tire, low pressure) is already the best. The reason is as follows: The saddle is higher than the handlebar, the fork dives on sharp brakes. If your suspension setting is "weak", the effect is a free flight over the handlebar. Furthermore, the steering precision in the corners becomes difficult.

In the front the ST2s from myStromer AG, in the back my own Stromer with the FOX 100/32 RL (replacing rigid alu fork)

upload_2017-3-4_16-19-1.png

Last edited:
Thinking about getting rid of my ST2 for another better capable ebike. Chicago streets are just horrible to ride a bike that has no suspension. Yes I have the bodyfloat seat suspension but I still want a better ride quality. This bike is a dream to ride once you’re on good pavement but when you are riding on rough, pot filled streets well not so much.

I want a bike that has a nice suspension system such as the Haibikes Xduro full seven S 7.0 or a Bulls E-Stream evo, or something to that effect. The only issue is that I am used to the power, performance and range of the ST2 battery and engine, I’m not familiar with mid drive engines, but Bosch and Yamaha seem to be making a name for themselves. Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks~
We have installed front suspension forks from Stromer with no issues. There are also stem related suspension options that may help. I wrote the review for the Sta-Fast and it was satisfactory for my purposes.

We have installed front suspension forks from Stromer with no issues. There are also stem related suspension options that may help. I wrote the review for the Sta-Fast and it was satisfactory for my purposes.

The issue is the ST2 is a heavy bike, yeah its nice, rides superb etc. But it's just too heavy, by adding a front suspension you are adding additional weight, etc. I tested out a few Haibikes today, loved the XDURO Urban SRX, awesome bike~ lightweight, nimble, easy to load, carry, pick up, etc. Also tested the EXDURO Full seven pro, with all around suspension. I felt like I was riding on a cloud, the only thing the bike needs is urban type tires and this bike will be ready to rock. The Urban SRX is nice but it's a rigid frame with a bodyfloat suspension, ergo grips, and maybe a handlebar type suspension this bike would be ideal city urban commuter with lots of power, speed and its very agile too. Look don't get me wrong I love my ST2, but picking up the bike everyday to go up through 2 flights of stairs gets old. They should design this bike with a suspesion, maybe lighten up the bike, make it 30lbs, maybe 35 or 38 but a 60lbs bike plus added components well the bike becomes cumbersome. Asked my girl, she can't even pick up the ST2. But she has an urban bike thats not an electric bike that weighs like 4lbs, lol~

Back