Lectric XP for a child?

tomgillotti

I have a 7-year-old son who I would like to put on an electrically assisted bike so that he can keep up when we go on rides as a family. I've often wondered if this was safe to do and also wondered if there was a bike out there that could work for both a child and an adult (for better resale and so he can grow with the bike). The Lectric seems to fit that bill but I wonder if anyone has done it and whether or not it would be safe to do.

Does anyone know if you are able to manually limit the speed of the Lectric XP?

Here's a 7 year old with my Ecotric. A little lower than a Lectric XP because I've got smaller tires which are 22" high. The rear tire on the hitch hiler is a true 20" tire. The XP comes with 24" high tires.

In Illinois, you must be 16 to ride an ebike. If it's not clear here, she's way too small for a 20" fat bike.

P1170824.JPG

He's a pretty tall kid for his age. Probably closer to the height of an average 8-9 year old.

Does anyone know if the 31.75" listed on this site for "minimum saddle height" is accurate for the lowest seat position of the bike?

I don't think it's safe. Too much speed. I generally see the little guys way out in front of their parents in my area. Give them a motor and someone will crash bad.

I don't think it's safe. Too much speed. I generally see the little guys way out in front of their parents in my area. Give them a motor and someone will crash bad.

Certainly not a bad point. I know there are inherent risks. What I'm wondering is, are there logical ways to mitigate those risks? My son has been using an electric (mini?) Segway, capable of 11 Mph, for the past year. It's not a direct comparison but it's part of my overall consideration.

A 16 year old’s brain is not developed enough to make all good choices behind the wheel of a car. I know I didn’t. In my opinion, the same applies to a 7 year old on an eBike.

A 16 year old’s brain is not developed enough to make all good choices behind the wheel of a car. I know I didn’t. In my opinion, the same applies to a 7 year old on an eBike.

Fair point, I suppose. Not sure I'd use that logic to make the determination, though. There are plenty of 7-10 year olds getting on 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. I'd probably be ok with him on one of those as well, depending on the reliability of the equipment.

What I'm getting at, really, is more a question of the equipment as it relates to a child being able to ride it.

From what I understand, there is no way to prevent throttle movement on the bike (a negative).

The pedal assist in level one or two keeps speeds relatively low (7-12 MPH) (a positive).

The weight is also pretty heavy (a negative).

The seat height is low to the ground and the bike has a low CG, making it easier to handle (a positive).

All things I'm thinking through.

Edit: I should also add that the environment will always be controlled. This is not like his current bike where he's allowed to ride around the neighborhood unsupervised (dead-end street with a lot of children). He would only be riding with my wife and I.

Fair point, I suppose. Not sure I'd use that logic to make the determination, though. There are plenty of 7-10 year olds getting on 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. I'd probably be ok with him on one of those as well, depending on the reliability of the equipment.

What I'm getting at, really, is more a question of the equipment as it relates to a child being able to ride it.

From what I understand, there is no way to prevent throttle movement on the bike (a negative).

The pedal assist in level one or two keeps speeds relatively low (7-12 MPH) (a positive).

The weight is also pretty heavy (a negative).

The seat height is low to the ground and the bike has a low CG, making it easier to handle (a positive).

All things I'm thinking through.

Edit: I should also add that the environment will always be controlled. This is not like his current bike where he's allowed to ride around the neighborhood unsupervised (dead-end street with a lot of children). He would only be riding with my wife and I.
I found this with a short Goggle search, not sure I'd use your logic either. "In 2015, at least 73 children younger than 16 died and 26,700 were seriously injured by ATVs." You are the Father, it's your decision.

I found this with a short Goggle search, not sure I'd use your logic either. "In 2015, at least 73 children younger than 16 died and 26,700 were seriously injured by ATVs." You are the Father, it's your decision.

Statistics. While they can be valuable they don't offer the whole picture.

Using that logic we should never leave the house. The amount of children who die in car crashes (where they are just passengers) is much higher.

I'm just offering a counterpoint. I understand the concern but I also feel like there's a good balance with everything.

I'm sure the same setting that allows the bike to go to 28 mph can be adjusted in the opposite direction to limit speed to say 15 mph.

I'm sure the same setting that allows the bike to go to 28 mph can be adjusted in the opposite direction to limit speed to say 15 mph.

I think that's true but haven't been able to verify.

I did hear from Lectric today that you can disable the throttle, which is really the biggest concern. If there's no throttle and I limit him to pedal assist then it seems like it will minimize the major risk.

Tom,

Were you ever able to find a suitable ebike for your older child? I'm also interested in any attachments to the Lectric XP that would let me carry my 8 and 10 year old kids.

We picked this one up for our 10yo to keep up. She loves it.

We picked this one up for our 10yo to keep up. She loves it.

How tall is your 10 year old?

Mine is short too for her age - are you able to limit the throttle on it? Also, it's not a fat tire, but have you tried it on the beach/sand?

Mine is short too for her age - are you able to limit the throttle on it? Also, it's not a fat tire, but have you tried it on the beach/sand?
We told her petal only and only use PAS 1 and 2. She has been good about it in listening. When she is done riding and getting ready to get off, we have her put it in PAS 0 as to not accidentally hit the throttle. Only used on paved areas as yes we feel that the tires are too narrow to ride in the sand.

Back