Learning to ride and ride and ride

KurtW

I got my Stunner LT in February and have been anxiously waiting for the weather to warm up so I could really try it out. I haven't ridden a bike in oh, over 40 years, so I was going to see if riding a bike is like riding a bike. There were a couple of warm-ish afternoons in early March and what do you, it is just like riding a bike! Not being in the greatest of shape (One guy asked me why I had such big tires and my response was "a big guy needs big tires.") I have created a set of goals.
Goal one - ride the bike without falling off. Accomplished
Goal two - remember to put my feet down when I come to a complete stop. Yep, got that one on the second try
Goal three - ride two miles. Easy peesy in an e-bike.
Goal four - ride to the center of town and back (about 6-7 miles each way)

This afternoon was nice so I threw my helmet on, grabbed the bike and decided to go half way to town. Got that far and kept going. Three quarters of the way - I can keep going. Sewer treatment center at the edge of town - can't stop there. Elementary school about a mile from town center. Yep, good place to stop - its starting to sprinkle a little bit.

I was very pleased with how well the electric motor helps me to get up the many hills between my house and town. And it handles the rough pavement, gravel and regular road surface without a problem. I like the stability of the fat tires and the comfort of the seat. And the looks as people see a big guy on a big bike :)

I'm still trying to figure out a few squeaks and foibles of the bike. At certain speeds there is a sound like the the tire (or something) is rubbing. And the downshift requires more travel than the upshift. I am a happy Biktrix rider and look forward to crossing the 100 mile mark.

Tomorrow I'm bringing my lock and headed into town on the bicycle!

-Kurt

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_150754.jpg
    IMG_20190217_150754.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 464
Let us know you keep liking it! I'm thinking about picking up either this or a regular Stunner (mid drive) for my gf. I just got a Juggernaut Ultra FS and loving it right now!

Today I busted through goal four. Rode to town, rode around town, rode some more around town, then back home. About 15 miles. Bike performed very well and I got a lot of good comments on it. One thing I can't figure out is how to keep the trip odometer from resetting every time I power off the bike. The translated instructions online are very un-helpful.

It’s great to hear an e-bike is getting you out bicycling after 40 years.
The difference in lever movement when downshifting vs upshifting is normal with that type of gears.
I can’t help you with the trip meter. On the Specialized Vado it was the same , reset on power off, first production year I think and then they changed it so the rider decided when to reset it.

I thought it might help to pass along a few things I’ve learned. I’ve been like the Girl with The Red Shoes- can’t stop riding.
Even if it’s an ebike you can still wear yourself out. When I’m very tired physically, I start to get clumsy, my brain shuts down, and I make dumb mistakes. Even on an ebike, it helps to bring water and a granola bar, just in case. A 20 mile ride is still a 20 mile ride.

I thought it might help to pass along a few things I’ve learned. I’ve been like the Girl with The Red Shoes- can’t stop riding.
Even if it’s an ebike you can still wear yourself out. When I’m very tired physically, I start to get clumsy, my brain shuts down, and I make dumb mistakes. Even on an ebike, it helps to bring water and a granola bar, just in case. A 20 mile ride is still a 20 mile ride.

Thanks! I will remember to bring water.

Today I busted through goal four. Rode to town, rode around town, rode some more around town, then back home. About 15 miles. Bike performed very well and I got a lot of good comments on it. One thing I can't figure out is how to keep the trip odometer from resetting every time I power off the bike. The translated instructions online are very un-helpful.

I thought about you and this thread as I took my Juggernaught out for the first real ride yesterday, see my thread here. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ebike-biktrix-juggernaught.27672/#post-192674

For me town is 7.5 miles and I was not sure I could make it. But like you I found it easily done and I took went well beyond there and back. I went past the turn to our road and continued another several miles. What I am finding is riding roads I have been driving for 20 years gives a totally different perspective. At bike speed you notice things you never seen in a car at twice the speed. So much fun to discover my own area all over again.

I thought about you and this thread as I took my Juggernaught out for the first real ride yesterday, see my thread here. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ebike-biktrix-juggernaught.27672/#post-192674

For me town is 7.5 miles and I was not sure I could make it. But like you I found it easily done and I took went well beyond there and back. I went past the turn to our road and continued another several miles. What I am finding is riding roads I have been driving for 20 years gives a totally different perspective. At bike speed you notice things you never seen in a car at twice the speed. So much fun to discover my own area all over again.
And the scents (mostly good). Here in California right now, it’s blooming orange trees.

Ebikes erase, or greatly ease, the former misery that can accompany biking for those of us who never got into it before, or who took a 20-40 year break, or who are starting out being out of shape.
That was my finding a year ago; 303 pounds, hadn’t ridden in 20+ years and remembered those old rides always leaving me fairly miserable resulting in long stretches of empty time before I’d face the next ride...
The ebike flattened every hill by making them bike-able (vs having to walk the bike up a grade before). It left each ride with just the fun and pleasant aspects fresh in mind, which in turn made me want to do it again the next day! I used a lot of assist in the first few months but now, 5000 miles later, 60 pounds lighter, I seldom leave the lowest level of assist.
Welcome to the club and congratulations on jumping in with both feet!

I agree - it is a totally different perspective! I'm traveling this week and find myself wondering what it would be like to ebike here in the Midwest.

Ebikes erase, or greatly ease, the former misery that can accompany biking for those of us who never got into it before, or who took a 20-40 year break, or who are starting out being out of shape.
That was my finding a year ago; 303 pounds, hadn’t ridden in 20+ years and remembered those old rides always leaving me fairly miserable resulting in long stretches of empty time before I’d face the next ride...
The ebike flattened every hill by making them bike-able (vs having to walk the bike up a grade before). It left each ride with just the fun and pleasant aspects fresh in mind, which in turn made me want to do it again the next day! I used a lot of assist in the first few months but now, 5000 miles later, 60 pounds lighter, I seldom leave the lowest level of assist.
Welcome to the club and congratulations on jumping in with both feet!

Yes! That is what I am discovering

Back