Lateral play on NCM Prague rear wheel.

Mjones49

Region
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Prague is a year old. I recently noticed a small amount of lateral play on the rear wheel. To be clear, this is not the axle moving in the dropouts, but the hub moving on the axle.

I did a quick scan of the internet and saw it suggested that it was unlikely the bearings, as there was no noise, and at only a year old too, and that it was more likely the nut had loosened on the axle, at the shoulder of Brake side of the hub. So I located this nut, and tried to tighten it, but it sheared almost instantly 😢. (It's barely a few mm thick!)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Would be interested to hear how you corrected it.

Hi,
My Prague is a year old. I recently noticed a small amount of lateral play on the rear wheel. To be clear, this is not the axle moving in the dropouts, but the hub moving on the axle.

I did a quick scan of the internet and saw it suggested that it was unlikely the bearings, as there was no noise, and at only a year old too, and that it was more likely the nut had loosened on the axle, at the shoulder of Brake side of the hub. So I located this nut, and tried to tighten it, but it sheared almost instantly 😢. (It's barely a few mm thick!)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Would be interested to hear how you corrected it.

Lateral play on my front hub/axle too but worried that I will shear my nut too.

The rim should have a little amount of movement in it but it looks like yours may have too much. Have a look at this video
as it sounds like your cones may need tightening a little.

The rim should have a little amount of movement in it but it looks like yours may have too much. Have a look at this video
as it sounds like your cones may need tightening a little.
I understood Hub motors used sealed bearing rather than Cone and hub?

I understood Hub motors used sealed bearing rather than Cone and hub?
Not sure - it's a while since I got rid of my Moscow and I'm not even sure that the Moscow and Prague are the same. Either way, if you are getting play then it is coming from the bearings so either the cones want tightening or the cartridge bearings need adjusting or replacing.

Back