Known Issues & Problems with Electra Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Electra as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I purchased a Townie Commute Go! 8i less than a week ago and have ridden approximately 10 miles on it. It rides nicely. One of the features of the bike is a built in frame lock for quick stops in relatively secure areas. The frame lock has the Abus brand name on it. I found the frame lock difficult to use the first 3 times I used it. It was a little difficult to insert the key and it has a spring loaded lever which is used as part of the locking process. The key was sticky in the lock and I would have to fuss with it to get the key to come out after loading the spring lever. This frame lock requires that the key stay inserted when unlocked, which means that the key (and key ring) dangle at your side as you ride. And this pretty much forces one to use the frame lock when stopped, even if using an external lock. Otherwise someone could come along, see the key hanging out, lock the bike, and then steal the battery after removing the key. The third time I went to use the frame lock, it failed in the locked position. It looks like the tumbler fell into the lock. This was incredibly inconvenient, as I couldn't roll the bike away after removing my external lock. It had to be transported to a bike repair shop by vehicle.

Attachments

• ​Townie Commute Go! 8i Frame Lock.jpg
    ​Townie Commute Go! 8i Frame Lock.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,832
Back