Knew I shouldn't, but I ordered a new bike on Friday

Captain Slow

Do I need a new bike, not at all. But I want one. How often do wants and needs line up :)

My new bike has really small batteries ................... but that's because they power the derailleurs and shifters. I ordered a bike with the new Rival eTap AXS, so electronic shifting and no motor to propel the bike. I've loved this forum and still enjoy it, but I'm not using a motor to assist me much these days. Over the winter I rode Zwift a lot and no motor for that. With the pandemic I'm working from home so not commuting to work. As a result I sold my Juiced Crosscurrent S because it wasn't being used.

I'm not even riding my Creo much these days because well, my ride companions wouldn't keep up with me if I used the motor, so generally only use it for solo rides.

Multiple factors have played into my reducing ebike usage but the main theme of the story is why many people buy ebikes in the first place. Riding an ebike to work every day allowed me to be a lot more active and from my peak I'm down 35 lbs. Not all of that is due to the ebike, but it sure helped. I now weigh low 150s (I'm 5' 9") and have an FTP of around 3 watts/kg. I'm now flying up hills before where I needed a motor to help me up.

The ebike got me lots of saddle time and improved fitness to the point that now in my mid 50s I'm faster than I was at 45. I've been lusting after the SRAM eTap system.

So I'll still be riding a bike that needs it's batteries charged, just using the power in a different way. I'm not going away though. Many great individuals on this forum and a mature bunch that for the most part doesn't get into flame wars, people are respectful and kind to each other. I might not be on as much as I realize the type of bikes and riding I'll be doing are a bit different, but I'll still be here.

In case you're wondering the bike I will be getting is the Specialized Aethos Rival AXS. I'm pretty excited about it and looking forward to it arriving in the stores.

I know my power will fade with age and I'll be looking for a new electric bike in the future, but for now it will just be my legs.

Well done and well said. Congratulations on using your ebike to make ebikes no longer necessary. Your story of transformation is really inspiring. Hopefully you have many years of vigorous health and fitness ahead of you. It's nice having an ace in the hole, that you can play, if or when you come up needing some assist to keep riding.

Do I need a new bike, not at all. But I want one. How often do wants and needs line up :)

My new bike has really small batteries ................... but that's because they power the derailleurs and shifters. I ordered a bike with the new Rival eTap AXS, so electronic shifting and no motor to propel the bike. I've loved this forum and still enjoy it, but I'm not using a motor to assist me much these days. Over the winter I rode Zwift a lot and no motor for that. With the pandemic I'm working from home so not commuting to work. As a result I sold my Juiced Crosscurrent S because it wasn't being used.

I'm not even riding my Creo much these days because well, my ride companions wouldn't keep up with me if I used the motor, so generally only use it for solo rides.

Multiple factors have played into my reducing ebike usage but the main theme of the story is why many people buy ebikes in the first place. Riding an ebike to work every day allowed me to be a lot more active and from my peak I'm down 35 lbs. Not all of that is due to the ebike, but it sure helped. I now weigh low 150s (I'm 5' 9") and have an FTP of around 3 watts/kg. I'm now flying up hills before where I needed a motor to help me up.

The ebike got me lots of saddle time and improved fitness to the point that now in my mid 50s I'm faster than I was at 45. I've been lusting after the SRAM eTap system.

So I'll still be riding a bike that needs it's batteries charged, just using the power in a different way. I'm not going away though. Many great individuals on this forum and a mature bunch that for the most part doesn't get into flame wars, people are respectful and kind to each other. I might not be on as much as I realize the type of bikes and riding I'll be doing are a bit different, but I'll still be here.

In case you're wondering the bike I will be getting is the Specialized Aethos Rival AXS. I'm pretty excited about it and looking forward to it arriving in the stores.

I know my power will fade with age and I'll be looking for a new electric bike in the future, but for now it will just be my legs.
Sounds like your eBike experience worked out just fine for you. Great to hear that, @Captain Slow .

Thanks everyone. I'm still looking forward to riding with others on this forum once the pandemic is done. I'll make sure I bring the Creo for that just so I fit in better :)

I've been on numerous different forums on the internet and this group is by far the most mature.

I've been overly optimistic about the end of the pandemic ever since the start. I've been wrong so many times I can't count, but I'm really hoping that we're only a couple of months away as we see vaccination numbers increase. Hey, if I make enough predictions, eventually one will have to right :)

Capt, I am in the same boat. I have not been using the assist for the last 1000 miles. Just riding with an extra 20 pounds of motor and battery. I got a new https://www.knollybikes.com/steelcache arriving in about 3 weeks.

The E-bike has been great and got those first 2000 miles on it and back in riding form. This has been a great and friendly forum, which in and of itself is a blessing.

I think for me it will work out with my wife on an ebike, and me sucking air trying to keep up.

Interestingly I live about 1 km from the Knolly offices. One of my co-workers actually went to school with Noel (who is Knolly) and knows him quite well.

Glad you're staying - can't wait to hear about your new "e" bike adventures!

I am strong enough Icoudl ride without power. but I enjoy the extra speed and acceleration and the nI carry stuff. or when I am sick.

I like your story and your new bike pick. Give your legs a good run/workout. Perhaps when you get back onto an E-bike, you will probably not have the need for the 'higher modes' with your well conditioned leg muscles for quite sometime. Enjoy and ride safe! 😁

I really like my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3, especially on gravel roads and that's been my 'go to' bike for a while. Last ride, (with a small group) I decided to ride my Giant Defy instead, which has been hanging on my wall mount for the last 5 months.
It was a very enjoyable ride. The only part I didn't like was the 10km of gravel pathway to get to the ride's starting point. The Defy is awesome on pavement, but not so great on gravel.
Similar to Captain S I've lost weight in the last 8 months. In July I was riding 150 to 200km per week but still hit 197 pounds (I'm 5'8").
That was a lot of weight to pack up hills on the Defy.
By cutting off the alcohol flow and dieting I'm now down to 153 pounds (and feel GREAT).
It's amazing how much easier the hills are on the Defy when there's 44 pounds less to pack around. 😄

When I weighed almost 200 pounds the Defy was a chore to ride, but now I look forward to my next ride on this bike.

Captain S, I understand completely why you bought your new (non-powered) bike.....and what an awesome bike it is.
The Comp, with Rival eTap AXS looks to be a really good price. I find it hard to figure out why the Pro, with SRAM Force eTap AXS, is $4,300 more.

Captain, my dear friend. Once again your post are inspiring us all. I always look forward to seeing your name when I return here to EBR.

I have been away for a while myself...it was difficult to come here when I had my first adult health scare last fall...gout or pseudo gout in both knees. Knocked me off my feet and sadly my bikes for nearly 3 months.

I thought of our discussions here as I got back 'on the saddle' this winter. My enjoyment of ebikes is the opposite end of yours my friend - I love the DIY custom build options available and build bikes with maximum Wh in mind. You have always been about the cycling and the improvement of the ride quality of having the assist - I admire that in you - and now proud of you stepping away from your ebike but continue to be part of the community here.

When I say I thought of you - my journey in cycling/ebikes has taken a few steps closer to you as a source of inspiration. What I have done in the months since I could ride again is...

-Purchased a Bowflex C6 stationary bike. Through the Canadian winters we share and any rainy day in the summer, it's great to have a bike option available. The C6 is a purpose built stationary bike, handles my current 270lb 6'0 frame (if you recall I started at 320lbs with my first ebike that lead me to EBR), I was able to install a SMP Avant seat like my outdoor bikes, has clipless pedals included and is non-propriety to any one online service and works with all the major platforms (peloton, zwift, etc). It has no motor and I do ride it slow and steady for sure, lol.

-I converted a carbon frame Norco 7.3 I own from Bionx ebike back to stock. The carbon frame was never a good choice for ebike technology - it was a demo Bionx built before they went bankrupt and I happen to get the chance to buy it used. It was fun and interesting to ride as an ebike...

...but now I add it to my Specialized Fatboy as my second acoustic bike I own and ride at least once a week.

With so many ebikes in my fleet (currently 3, building a 4th as I write this) why ride acoustic?

Helps me measure my true fitness. Shows me that, while much slower and shorter distance than my ebikes, I have reached a weight and fitness level that I can go out and do 12-20kms of trails, with hills...something that would have been impossible for me just 2 years ago.

Thanks to EBR and great members like yourself, my ebike collection is evolving into purpose built designs now. A 2WD fat tire bike for some of the best winter riding possible and lots of fun in the dirt. My monster multi battery cargo bike (I will do a full write up on it when it's done this spring) with the optional single wheel trailer out back is my 'R.V.' ebike when I take along my camping gear and head to the campgrounds here in Ontario...whenever that is allowed again.

Even without a motor helping you along Captain, you are will continue to be an awesome member of this community. As you shared, in time you will likely find reason and purpose to add an ebike back into your riding plans and I look forward to you sharing when you do.

Cheers

I really like my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3, especially on gravel roads and that's been my 'go to' bike for a while. Last ride, (with a small group) I decided to ride my Giant Defy instead, which has been hanging on my wall mount for the last 5 months.
It was a very enjoyable ride. The only part I didn't like was the 10km of gravel pathway to get to the ride's starting point. The Defy is awesome on pavement, but not so great on gravel.
Similar to Captain S I've lost weight in the last 8 months. In July I was riding 150 to 200km per week but still hit 197 pounds (I'm 5'8").
That was a lot of weight to pack up hills on the Defy.
By cutting off the alcohol flow and dieting I'm now down to 153 pounds (and feel GREAT).
It's amazing how much easier the hills are on the Defy when there's 44 pounds less to pack around. 😄

When I weighed almost 200 pounds the Defy was a chore to ride, but now I look forward to my next ride on this bike.

Captain S, I understand completely why you bought your new (non-powered) bike.....and what an awesome bike it is.
The Comp, with Rival eTap AXS looks to be a really good price. I find it hard to figure out why the Pro, with SRAM Force eTap AXS, is $4,300 more.
When the pandemic settles down I'd love to come over to Vancouver Island and ride with you. Sounds like our stories are quite similar and our weight is nearly identical now.

I remember when I was in high school one of the ball hockey teams named themselves Deacon Blues. :)

Shaun, I'm glad to hear I've inspired you just as others on here have inspired me as well. I had to laugh when I saw you were up to 3 electric bikes now and working on a fourth. I suppose one of the great things about cycling is that bikes are relatively inexpensive. Especially if you use them for a car replacement then they're very affordable, but that affordability is also a bit of a curse because it's hard not to get caught up in the whole N+1 scenario that so many cyclists end up in. I'm sure almost all regular posters on this forum have been there or are still there!

I don't think it matters how many bikes you have or if you've got a big motor, a small motor or none at all. I think we have to remember why a lot of us are here. It's to be active on the bike and get some health benefits. There's more than one way to achieve that!

Sort of on that note, the hockey dad group I ride with all has one thing in common. All of us are getting up there in age, I think the youngest just turned 50 and all of us have an underlying health condition for which being active helps mitigate it. In my case diabetes, for a few of the others it's gout, others it's a need to lose weight, blood pressure, etc .... but everyone has a health issue which is helped by our regular rides. I think in that regard many on this forum are in the same boat.

I'm eagerly awaiting my new bike and will post some pics when I get it.

Awesome story! And the new Aethos looks fantastic. Enjoy it and be sure to share some images and rides!

Back