Knee and elbow pads?

I could not fail noticing the pictures of the children riding were taken in the environment most remote from what we see in the city. However, we are talking about the urban cycling safety.

1698486410898.png
1698486648081.png

My most serious head related crash occured on asphalt, not a gnarly singletrack. My brother was following me at a distance with his car (he knew my position as I carried a GPS tracker with me as any of that race participants), so he intercepted me post crash and forced to stop and take a rest. (It was him to take these pictures). There also were two riders who witnessed the crash and joined to help.

The helmet looked scratched but seemingly intact. Later inspection proved the interior lining was totally cracked on the side of the impact. However, my ear was not even scratched!

1698488417126.png

I was in a semi-coma for half an hour but recovered and continued the race for 263.5 km in 26:48 hours gross. Other bodily harm? Oh, I suffered the pain in my shoulder for the next 2 months. Otherwise, no damage.

One of the witnesses wrote on his Strava: 'Last Saturday, I could see something really shocking on my ride. There was a cyclist riding at some 30 km/h, and his bike slipped on a speed bump. He crashed and was laying there. As we approached him and asked how he felt, he suddenly got up, said it was all OK with him, and he continued his ride. We followed him to make sure. That was something I could see for the first time in my life, such a crash and a recovery! The guy wore a helmet. Always wear a helmet!'

If ypu expect to slide down the road using your forearms as brakes, there are better choices!
My survival technique is the following: I never move my feet off the pedals, and I hold the handlebar grips when I am about to crash. The bicycle with its bar-end and pedal acts in a way a little bit similar to the car's safety belt. If you do not remove your foot off your pedal, you wouldn't break your leg. If you keep your hand on the handlebar grip, you will not break your arm. Wearing cycling gloves will protect your hands. The only body parts that are vulnerable and not protected by the bike are: your head (helmet), your knees and elbows (I do not wear protective pads but I perhaps should).

On one of my night crashes, the impact was as big as a crank of my e-bike got bent, and a pedal axle got crooked. I suffered no slightest harm on that crash! The e-bike took all the beating!

If the time allows, I turn my body in the air to fall on my back: it is only the head that would be met with the impact (helmet). However, the most dangerous crashes happen when you do not expect them and have no time to react. As I said before the "zero speed crash" (when the bike has suddenly stopped for any reason) leaves no time for any reaction and hurts the most.

Last edited:
I worked for a Notified Body and used to test, certify Bicycle Helmets to EN 1078 and issued EC Type Examination Certificate, CE Mark.

Whilst I’m pleased to see people wearing helmets, particularly, children. However, I do get frustrated when people wear them incorrectly, perched on the back of their head.
IMG_2653.jpeg

DG…

However, I do get frustrated when people wear them incorrectly, perched on the back of their head.
When I bought my second Specialized :) helmet, I carefully read the user manual. There was a detailed instruction how to fit and wear a helmet, with pictures similar to yours!
One of the remarks was you should tighten the adjuster for your head as tightly as your skin would move with the helmet rotational movement but as lightly as you would feel no pain in the head. The chin strap should be adjusted the way that your jaw should meet the strap when you fully open your mouth.

I think that we should give Wes a break from the drama before he leaves the forum forever, (this has not been a good introduction to the forum).

His questions were simple and straightforward and deserving of responses devoid of agenda. Let’s play nice.

Djangogog , Wes has disclosed his psychology qualification so I suspect he is capable of looking beyond the drama - and capable of analyzing the complexities of decisions related to personal protection.

I think that we should give Wes a break from the drama before he leaves the forum forever, (this has not been a good introduction to the forum).

His questions were simple and straightforward and deserving of responses devoid of agenda. Let’s play nice.
Not at all. I never felt that there has been excessive "drama". There have been some fairly strong opinions and some disagreements, but that's normal and a sign that the forum is serious. I have very much enjoyed the dialog and have learned quite a bit that will be valuable to me in choosing a bike and accessories.

It's a great forum!

I didn't mention it because It's an essential part of getting ready for a ride after putting on my riding jersey.
I had an expensive Oakley pair of shades 😎 it got destroyed when I planted my face in the mud protected my eyes from serious damage. I wear Smith and Wesson shooting safety glasses 10 buck a pair.

I found that glasses don't stop wind and dust from getting in my eyes, but they are WAY better than nothing at all! 👍🏻

I didn't want to read through this entire thread, but did anyone mention eye protection?

I dont wear a full face helmet, so I won't ride without my goggles.

Wind in your eyes makes them water and it's hard to see.
A pebble or a bug is a lot worse.

mentioned in passing but not discussed at length - they serve a few purposes - as well as reducing bugs etc, good eye protection reduces UV and slows down cataracts.

Possibly a topic for a different thread -we could fill pages discussing the balance between protection / glare / distortion / fogging etc . I invested in some medical grade safety glasses during covid because eye protection became compulsory at work , these things have a lovely foam seal that fits my face - but they're not the sort of thing you can order online due to differences in facial shape - a link would be useless.

I use wraparound $1 sunglasses when it is light and I can get them. Lawnmowers throw a lot of trash on my route. Wouldn't stop a rock from a dump truck, but those don't ride the back roads.
I use clear uvex safety glasses towards dark. Tinted version which is too dark (grade 5) if I can't get the lighter store sunglasses.
I use nothing at night if the headlight is not working. If there is fog or rain I wear nothing on the eyes.

Last edited:
Yellow tinted glasses are great for night, but I’m not trying to start a fight. Just an opinion. :)

Back