Kindernay vs Cassette. Advantages and disadvantages?

Cuz Vinny

Those who purchased their Hydra with the Kindernay how do you like it? What made you go the Kindernay route vs the standard cassette setup? Considering this for the final mod for my bike but the cost is making me hesitant.

Those who purchased their Hydra with the Kindernay how do you like it? What made you go the Kindernay route vs the standard cassette setup? Considering this for the final mod for my bike but the cost is making me hesitant.
YES! Steve Brown and others with Kindernay. We need some deep study and review on this subject. 👍 👍👍

OOPS. Sorry Bruce. I should know better. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wanted an IGH and a belt drive on a full suspension bike. Was likely going to buy the R&M, but the fact @pushkar has a belt drive solution coming really kind of closed the deal for me. The low maintenance aspect and future proofing the bike was my thinking.

The Kindernay gear range is great. The thumb shifters aren't hard to use, although I did adjust how my shifters sit on the handlebars for my hands. That was super easy to do. The ability to shift gears up to three at a time is great and fast. It's also really quiet. I am looking forward to their electronic shifting when it's available.

I am having an issue with my Kindernay hub leaking oil. For me, so far this is the only downside. I'm not able to ride right now because I don't want to risk messing anything up permanently. At first I thought that maybe the drain plug was leaking and that I might have been missing an o-ring, but I confirmed the plug doesn't come with an o-ring and when I went out one morning my drain plug was pointed directly up and the hub still leaked.

The Kindernay website indicates that some seepage from the seals is normal, but the amount I have is not. It also tells you to ensure you store the bike upright as leaving it on it's side all the time will create additional leakage.

I have been in touch with Kindernay as has @pushkar and am awaiting some more info after sending the serial number and photos of the amount of leaking. I am certain this is likely a one-off and can easily be solved.

Assuming this is quickly solved, the only negative I would say is that the replacement oil from them is ridiculously expensive especially with shipping from Norway. I read elsewhere that @pushkar might be getting some in bulk and I'm sure that we can figure out what else might work just as well (Rohloff hub oil?). I know that is readily available here in the states.

I have both. I like the easy shifting at a standstill but the kindernay is at least a pound heavier. No problems yet.

From what I know... all told, and much of that is not from this public forum, I'm happy I have a cassette.
Please share what you’ve heard. It might help those of us who have one keep an eye out for something that may otherwise manifest itself too late.

When I ordered my bike @pushkar was still offering the choice of the Kindernay or the Rohloff so did quite a bit of reading and research. Obviously the Rohloff has been around a lot longer and there is much more available about it, but I never ran into anything that worried me about the Kindernay and the “professional” reviews I read were all positive.

I don't have my Hydra yet or the Kindernay I ordered on it (so don't really qualify for this thread.)

But, in reading through all the past Hydra threads that seemed pertinent, and all the Kindernay info the K was the IGH able to stand up to the watts.

I am going to get the belt drive too. And Pushkar said he has several liters of K oil coming.

By waiting till the upgrade or different drive train (depending on how you see it) is rolled out and adding it. One of the focuses of WW Hydra is that as new improvements come out there will be a pathway for us to upgrade.

In one of WW youtube videos that concept was referred to as overcoming purchase anxiety because we will always be able to get the new better thing without having to think of buying a new bike.

I am new to ebikes and it turns out I don't need to clean and re-oil chain on a regular basis to enjoy the whole riding experience. :)

I'm a Helios founder and ordered the Kindernay hub with mine. Even though the Kindernay is superior in every way to a cassette/chain setup I still have some reservations about my order.
My concern is what happens if the Kindernay hub that comes with my WW bike (which every one I end up getting) fails or needs repairs. If that happens I'd have to take the hub out and send it to Pushkar. In the US that probably wouldn't be too expensive, but shipping from Canada to the US (or visa versa) is very expensive and the bike would be inoperable for a considerable length of time.
On the other hand if I order the bike with a cassette/chain setup and something fails I may be able to fix it, but if I can't there's a number of local bike shops that can.

One thing for sure, with the power these bikes put out I'd be replacing cassettes and chains on a regular basis and they've really gone up in price where I live.

Your last paragraph was exactly what I was thinking about as I read your first thoughts.

Some people's values will be met by going one way, some people's values will be met by going the other.

I'm glad to hear the Kindernay is shipped with a stronger chain than standard bike chain. I hate to think of the ultra popping a chain if I miss starting out in the right gear or missed downshifting enough when coming to a sudden change in steepness on the trail. (Saw that on a youtube video of a Sondors Rock Star with an ultra motor.)

Will the carbon frame allow for the belt upgrade? I was under the impression that a fitting for the extra idler would have to be cast as part of the frame. Maybe replace rear triangle.

Will the carbon frame allow for the belt upgrade? I was under the impression that a fitting for the extra idler would have to be cast as part of the frame. Maybe replace rear triangle.
Yes, Pushkar confirmed that. See post #3 on update and next steps (founders thread). I don’t seems to recall any major surgery necessary like a new rear triangle.

I'm a Helios founder and ordered the Kindernay hub with mine. Even though the Kindernay is superior in every way to a cassette/chain setup I still have some reservations about my order.
My concern is what happens if the Kindernay hub that comes with my WW bike (which every one I end up getting) fails or needs repairs. If that happens I'd have to take the hub out and send it to Pushkar. In the US that probably wouldn't be too expensive, but shipping from Canada to the US (or visa versa) is very expensive and the bike would be inoperable for a considerable length of time.
On the other hand if I order the bike with a cassette/chain setup and something fails I may be able to fix it, but if I can't there's a number of local bike shops that can.

One thing for sure, with the power these bikes put out I'd be replacing cassettes and chains on a regular basis and they've really gone up in price where I live.
You may want to ask Kindernay if they have a reseller in Canada.
Also, if you are really worried of time off riding in case of a problem, you could have two wheels, one with the derailleur and one with the Kindernay

As far as I know, Belt on Hydra is still under review

Back