Kindernay observations and few questions for Pushkar

Does he have stock so you can buy more?

Did you Email Cycle Monkey to ask if they have some (they don't list it, but given they do sell the hub now, maybe they can help.

I would also contact Kindernay, and ask if they can recommend a compatible oil (like the Rohloff one) given the insanity of shipping....

Last edited:
Interestingly, the shipping costs from Germany to Canada are cheaper than the shipping costs from California to Canada. I stopped buying anything from online bike retailers in the Us because of the insane shipping charges.

If you are in Canada, have you asked Kindernay if they have dealers there yet?

I plan on contacting Pushkar and Kindernay this week. I also may try Ravi a Zen bikes, as he is offering the Kindernay V11 as an option on his newly released ebike and he shop is in Canada, so shipping would be cheaper.

$5 says Kindernay's velvet gear oil is something like Motorex or Maxima fork oil - the pink color & the fact that it's light enough to make you think the Magura juice would work in it leads me to believe that. I can't say for certain if Maxima is pink but Motorex certainly is. Not sure what weight they'd be using or if they're using a blend to get some other specific viscosity they designed the hub around, but unless there's little impellers or valves inside the hub directing oil flow I don't see any reason why a range of oil weights wouldn't be acceptable - a lighter one maybe even being preferable in colder climates as is the case for damper fluid. If they're willing to spill the beans about what they're using it's definitely worth the ask - Manitou fork bath oil is just Motorex 4T, I get 1L for about $4 more than the 100mL bottle from Manitou, 10x the amount for only 30% additional cost. Stuff could also be transmission fluid, since like fork oil that's just oil with detergents and additives - but either way it doesn't hurt to ask.

I just went to Kindernay's website to check out their prices for hub fluid.
400ml for 5 oil changes (their words) is 56.47 Euros which is $73.72 Canadian. Shipping to Canada is 89 Euros, or $116 Canadian. o_O
I'll text Pushkar on Tuesday to see what it cost to buy/ship the fluid from him.

Ouch! At that point I'd spend the $140ish to send the 120ml you have to a lab for a viscosity test and to see what common additives are present in there, and then grab the nearest analogue. After the initial oil change you're supposed to get 3-5000km between changes, right? $200 for 25,000km doesn't seem awful when you compare it to the rest of your maintenance costs like chains, tires, brake pads, fork/shock service, and cassette - but it certainly adds up.

$5 says Kindernay's velvet gear oil is something like Motorex or Maxima fork oil - the pink color & the fact that it's light enough to make you think the Magura juice would work in it leads me to believe that. I can't say for certain if Maxima is pink but Motorex certainly is. Not sure what weight they'd be using or if they're using a blend to get some other specific viscosity they designed the hub around, but unless there's little impellers or valves inside the hub directing oil flow I don't see any reason why a range of oil weights wouldn't be acceptable - a lighter one maybe even being preferable in colder climates as is the case for damper fluid. If they're willing to spill the beans about what they're using it's definitely worth the ask - Manitou fork bath oil is just Motorex 4T, I get 1L for about $4 more than the 100mL bottle from Manitou, 10x the amount for only 30% additional cost. Stuff could also be transmission fluid, since like fork oil that's just oil with detergents and additives - but either way it doesn't hurt to ask.
One issue not mentioned is the warrantee period. Once past the warrantee period, a person could speculate on what works, experiment, and report findings after real world experience. I bought 5

I just went to Kindernay's website to check out their prices for hub fluid.
400ml for 5 oil changes (their words) is 56.47 Euros which is $73.72 Canadian. Shipping to Canada is 89 Euros, or $116 Canadian. o_O
I'll text Pushkar on Tuesday to see what it cost to buy/ship the fluid from him.
Be carefull their number of oil change is for the kindernay XIV which I believe use 30ml (x 2 ) by oil change
For the Kindernay VII given it takes 20ml x2, a 500ml would be at leat 10 oil change

Attachments

• 20220712_115806_HDR.jpg
    20220712_115806_HDR.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 185
What's the procedure for doing the flush? Is it pour in 20ml, put the plug back in, swirling the hub/wheel around, then drain?

Yes put oil in, close the hub, go for a short ride changing gears, come back flush again

Are the hydraulic lines for the shifters quick connect?
Sorry if this is a noob question, but this is all new to me.

I just came across a short video, put out by Kindernay, on how to remove and install the rear tire, so I've answered my own question.

The video I watched was less than a minute long, but very helpful

Went for a 50km ride a couple of days ago, with an even spilt of pavement and dirt trails.
I love this bike and I LOVE my Kindernay hub. Even though it only has 7 gears I can easily climb a steep trail (for me) and can also easily hit 50kph (30 mph) on the pavement.

I went for another ride on my Hydra yesterday (80% pavement and 20% bike paths).
I'm becoming for familiar with the Kindernay 7 speed and I'm very happy with its overall shifting performance.
One thing I've noticed is the smoothest shifting occurs when stop pedalling for a second or two. Shifts are okay under a light load pedalling, but with anything more than a light load I notice the shifts becoming harder to implement and on the harsh side.
It's just the opposite of a regular derailleur.

I REALLY wish my UC Pro had come with the Kindernay hub.

Yes on harsh shifting under load. The IV is like that too. Youtube videos when the 14 was first released were prominently saying that that was the case with Kindernay.

Back