KICK STAND ?

Phildirt

I need help finding a kick stand(side stand) for my new Evo 27.5. There isn't any holes that I can see
for mounting one. Any ideas would be appreciated

The one JR suggested should work fine. If you notice the area behind seat tube, near the bottom bracket, you should be able to see two mounting holes.

Funny Anecdote: The place where my son bought his new bowel movement coming (BMC) bike told him that they will not sell a bike to anyone who wants a kickstand with a rather forceful conversation that kickstands are to bikes what republicans are to governance: totally passe. Gee, never realized the stigma I carry (or rather pedal) around town. My son now refuses to ride with me because I'm a kickstander..............having a very senior moment!

Funny Anecdote: The place where my son bought his new bowel movement coming (BMC) bike told him that they will not sell a bike to anyone who wants a kickstand with a rather forceful conversation that kickstands are to bikes what republicans are to governance: totally passe. Gee, never realized the stigma I carry (or rather pedal) around town. My son now refuses to ride with me because I'm a kickstander..............having a very senior moment!

Ive heard a similar story of an attitude against installing a stand in a bike store. Dont get it. I have a two leg stand. Old enough, I guess.

Kickstands, dork disks & wheel reflectors apparently aren't cool:cool: I like them allo_O

I just put a double kickstand on mine. :)

It seems to me that there are some really snobby bike people out there. Which is awful because, when they act like that, they are discouraging average people from taking up biking. They're also contributing to the image of bicyclists as rude, stuck-up, spandex-wearing, exclusionary pricks. Which I certainly hope isn't really representative, but the image still hurts everybody.

I agree, K. Jones. Do what feels right for the bike you own & the level of convenience you want and to heck with what anyone else thinks!

I just put a double kickstand on mine. :)

It seems to me that there are some really snobby bike people out there. Which is awful because, when they act like that, they are discouraging average people from taking up biking. They're also contributing to the image of bicyclists as rude, stuck-up, spandex-wearing, exclusionary pricks. Which I certainly hope isn't really representative, but the image still hurts everybody.

On a mountain bike, there's nothing snobby about not having a kickstand. They can get caught up on things, leading to a spill. They are unreliable at supporting your bike on uneven terrain. There's even stories of them coming down on their own on rough ground, also leading to a crash. Kickstands do not belong on mountain bikes.

On road bikes, the riders have just spent an extra thousand dollars or so to shave off what a kickstand weighs. They certainly aren't going to put that weight back on again.

On a mountain bike, there's nothing snobby about not having a kickstand. They can get caught up on things, leading to a spill. They are unreliable at supporting your bike on uneven terrain. There's even stories of them coming down on their own on rough ground, also leading to a crash. Kickstands do not belong on mountain bikes.

On road bikes, the riders have just spent an extra thousand dollars or so to shave off what a kickstand weighs. They certainly aren't going to put that weight back on again.

You are assuming that we're talking about high-end bikes. A lot of bikes are kids bikes or adult bikes bought for more casual riders (even if they're road- or mountain-style bikes). Riders might not want to scratch up their bikes or knock their accessories around by leaning it or laying it down all the time. Or maybe they're using it for errands and it needs to remain upright while it's loaded.

If you've spent a thousand dollars extra to shave off every bit of weight, you're probably right that you wouldn't put a kick stand on it. And maybe if you do extensive off-road mountain-biking, you might have problems with kickstands catching on things or whatever. But is that really the majority of people who purchase bikes? Really? I have no data to back it up, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a kick stand if the rider wants one. There are certainly very good reasons to get one that trump the extra weight or catching on things issues for many riders. I wouldn't force anyone to get a kickstand, of course, but acting like you're disgusted by the very idea of a kickstand (as the person in the narrative was) is very snobby indeed.

You are assuming that we're talking about high-end bikes. A lot of bikes are kids bikes or adult bikes bought for more casual riders (even if they're road- or mountain-style bikes). Riders might not want to scratch up their bikes or knock their accessories around by leaning it or laying it down all the time. Or maybe they're using it for errands and it needs to remain upright while it's loaded.

If you've spent a thousand dollars extra to shave off every bit of weight, you're probably right that you wouldn't put a kick stand on it. And maybe if you do extensive off-road mountain-biking, you might have problems with kickstands catching on things or whatever. But is that really the majority of people who purchase bikes? Really? I have no data to back it up, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a kick stand if the rider wants one. There are certainly very good reasons to get one that trump the extra weight or catching on things issues for many riders. I wouldn't force anyone to get a kickstand, of course, but acting like you're disgusted by the very idea of a kickstand (as the person in the narrative was) is very snobby indeed.

Actually, only 5- 10% of people who purchase e- MTB use it for actual off-roading. Many just like it because of the comfort and versatility of the bike. I myself ride a Neo Jumper and have searched extensively to put a kickstand.

It is really useful and you're right, snobbery is pervasive. If you look at one of the really high-end e-MTB, Focus Thron Impulse, you'll see it has a kickstand and so is with Haibike FS RS.

Last edited:
I agree with every post here! There is truly no one size fits all! Thank goodness kickstands aren't like the one I had on a 10 speed road bike in the 1970's, it was permanent. No removing those, but dealers could offer a $10-$15 stand either built into the price or offered at a deep discount to new owners. That way when you get it home you have a choice.

Actually, only 5- 10% of people who purchase e- MTB use it for actual off-roading.

Is that a fact?

I personally have now ridden my e-mountain bike off-road, as have two other regular mtb riders I know. My guess is that most people with mtb's ride dirt, single-track, off-road some of the time.

What is the source of your stated fact?

stevenast:
The question is, how many people who own mountain bikes are "regular mtb riders" who actually go off-road with it. I know a lot of moms who bike with their kids to school or put them in kid trailers. And lots of them have mountain bikes. Those moms aren't going off-road much. Maybe a bit in the grass when the sidewalk is blocked, but that's about it.

Sort of like how an awful lot of people with 4-wheel-drive trucks never actually take them off-road.

So, I see your anecdote with one of my own. :)

But, more to the point. Even if most mountain bike owners DID take them off-road a lot, there are still people who own mountain bikes that don't. Even if kickstands are bad for serious, off-road mountain-bikers, they are not necessarily bad for ALL mountain bike owners. (As you claimed.) It depends on how they use the bike. Some mountain bike owners only use it for bike trails, biking with the kids, errands, commuting, etc. Sort of an all-purpose bike. To assume that everyone who owns a mountain bike is actually going off-road with them (or worse: that those are the only mountain bike owners that count!) isn't very inclusive or realistic.

Last edited:
Back