KICK STAND ?

For good or bad the most secure way to "park" a 50lb e-MTB is laying it down. That said @K. Jones made some great points about loading stuff from the store, for tour or even for a day on the trail. I use a kickstand and never thought about this convenience factor, I've only thought about the parking convenience factor. When in doubt I will lay it down in strong winds or soft ground, my bike is heavy:eek: Still like all the points made here and it's great info for the newbie!

stevenast:
The question is, how many people who own mountain bikes are "regular mtb riders" who actually go off-road with it. I know a lot of moms who bike with their kids to school or put them in kid trailers. And lots of them have mountain bikes. Those moms aren't going off-road much. Maybe a bit in the grass when the sidewalk is blocked, but that's about it.

Sort of like how an awful lot of people with 4-wheel-drive trucks never actually take them off-road.

So, I see your anecdote with one of my own. :)

But, more to the point. Even if most mountain bike owners DID take them off-road a lot, there are still people who own mountain bikes that don't. Even if kickstands are bad for serious, off-road mountain-bikers, they are not necessarily bad for ALL mountain bike owners. (As you claimed.) It depends on how they use the bike. Some mountain bike owners only use it for bike trails, biking with the kids, errands, commuting, etc. Sort of an all-purpose bike. To assume that everyone who owns a mountain bike is actually going off-road with them (or worse: that those are the only mountain bike owners that count!) isn't very inclusive or realistic.

You are persuasive and correct.

My position was too extreme, perhaps due to responding to an unsubstantiated "fact" by someone that only 5-10% of people ride their mountain bikes off road.

I agree with you completely and proudly stand corrected! It's boring always being right, ;) thank you for adding to my day!

You can add a kickstand similar to the one shown here

Neo 29er modified.jpg

Back