Daniel@OHMCycles

I wanted to introduce myself to the great crowd here in this cozy forum.

My name is Daniel Henderson. I am the North American Sales Coordinator for OHM Cycles! I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you folks either abroad at trade shows, while riding bikes, or at our new HQ in North Vancouver, BC, Canada. We relocated from Abbotsford, BC to North Van at the beginning of 2016, and it has been great settling in and getting to know the community here.

After moving to Vancouver in 2013, I bought my first real mountain bike while working as a mechanic at a local bike shop and began my love affair with the North Shore trails and biking in Vancouver in general. Several bikes, road and otherwise, have followed since then. Like any good enthusiast, I live by N+1. My passion for helping people has led me into technical sales, and I am loving every minute that I get to help people explore the world of biking.

I have been with OHM Cycles for almost a year now, but have several years of intimate knowledge dealing with, installing, and diving into the technical side of BionX motor systems. I am an avid cyclist, commuting 5 days a week on either a trusty road bike or an OHM of the day, and switching to my full suspension rig for North Shore & Whistler laps on the weekends. Let's just say Monday morning commutes can be a sore affair...

I hope to get to know all of you a little bit better as we continue this two-wheeled journey. Thanks for dropping by, and please feel free to ask me any questions, personal or OHM Cycles-related!

Dan
[email protected]
ohmcycles.com

I wanted to introduce myself to the great crowd here in this cozy forum.

My name is Daniel Henderson. I am the North American Sales Coordinator for OHM Cycles! I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you folks either abroad at trade shows, while riding bikes, or at our new HQ in North Vancouver, BC, Canada. We relocated from Abbotsford, BC to North Van at the beginning of 2016, and it has been great settling in and getting to know the community here.

After moving to Vancouver in 2013, I bought my first real mountain bike while working as a mechanic at a local bike shop and began my love affair with the North Shore trails and biking in Vancouver in general. Several bikes, road and otherwise, have followed since then. Like any good enthusiast, I live by N+1. My passion for helping people has led me into technical sales, and I am loving every minute that I get to help people explore the world of biking.

I have been with OHM Cycles for almost a year now, but have several years of intimate knowledge dealing with, installing, and diving into the technical side of BionX motor systems. I am an avid cyclist, commuting 5 days a week on either a trusty road bike or an OHM of the day, and switching to my full suspension rig for North Shore & Whistler laps on the weekends. Let's just say Monday morning commutes can be a sore affair...

I hope to get to know all of you a little bit better as we continue this two-wheeled journey. Thanks for dropping by, and please feel free to ask me any questions, personal or OHM Cycles-related!

Dan
[email protected]
ohmcycles.com

Good to see you here, Dan!
The 2017 lineup looks great.

Hello, Welcome!

All right, so which bike shops in the US stock Ohm bikes, or at least have some available for demo/special order? The dealer list on the website is a bit dated.

Why should we all buy Ohm, rather than get a BionX kit to put on a standard bike?

Didn't know we were gonna put you to work so quickly, huh? ;)

Hello neighbour :) The amount you ride is inspiring! How do you deal with rain round here? OHM bikes are real nice. Maybe one day I'll find it in my budget. Till then, I will just drool for them. :D

..All right, so which bike shops in the US stock Ohm bikes, or at least have some available for demo/special order? The dealer list on the website is a bit dated...

Not intending to speak for Daniel the Ohm rep but: I called Ohm a few weeks back. If I recall correctly, the initial 2017s will go on sale late this year but ship directly to the customer. Then last week I checked with a shop in Ontario who said they probably won't see any demos until late in 1st quarter of 2017. I was pretty interested in two of the models but don't really want to try without buying (they do have a good return policy) and not sure I'm going to wait until March 2017 before I make my purchase. So waiting for the shops to have demos probably isn't going to fit into my timeline. Hopefully Daniel can better fill us in on the details of the rollout plan for the 2017s. Too bad they do not choose to participate in the e-bike expos.

Good to see you here, Dan!
The 2017 lineup looks great.

Hey Ravi! Good to see you too. Nice meeting you in person at Interbike!

Hello, Welcome!

All right, so which bike shops in the US stock Ohm bikes, or at least have some available for demo/special order? The dealer list on the website is a bit dated.

Why should we all buy Ohm, rather than get a BionX kit to put on a standard bike?

Didn't know we were gonna put you to work so quickly, huh? ;)

Hey Berry78!

I'm ready for the challenge, bring it on :cool:

The dealer list on the website has been dated; we just revamped the site and now offer direct shipping to customers (note: shipped to a local bike shop for free assembly) where there isn't a direct OHM dealer available. To compensate for those rare cases that someone may not feel fully comfortable on the bike (even with adjustments, fitting, changing stems/seats/bars etc), we offer a comprehensive no-questions-asked return policy.

We at OHM are all cyclists first, and that contributes to our main message that we want to get more people out riding. Point blank, if you aren't comfortable on your bike, you won't ride it. We don't want anyone to feel obligated to keep or ride a bike that doesn't 100% fit them, and we want to provide the peace of mind when ordering a bike that they won't be stuck at all. We are totally transparent with this, as helping people to get out riding the way they want and need to is way more important than just 'selling a bike' that will sit unused in a garage.

That ties into your second question: Why OHM over a standard kit?

There are several ways to answer this question, and they all relate to what the rider is looking for. We have done the legwork to make a frame that is specifically designed for a motor system, and on the Sport and Mountain models, have a frame that can accommodate large plus-sized tires while still being able to rock a 48T chainring for high-speed jaunts while still maintaining a 68mm bottom bracket spacing. Not an easy task, mind you.

New Ergon Saddles & grips, integrated brake light (available on the Sport), integrated downtube battery (not available as a kit, dashing good looks), frame designed from the ground up for internal BionX cable routing, integrated rack carrier that mounts directly into the frame for 20% increased lateral stiffness over conventional racks. The battery will also be bluetooth-compatible, which means you can operate the system with just a throttle ring and a smartphone. Did I mention 4-piston hydraulic TRP Zurich brakes, with integrated reed switch to allow regenerative braking?

We have custom-fabricated the frame to fit the BionX systems like a glove. A huge part of it is reinforced dropouts... we don't want the extra torque to be going anywhere except straight into the road, and having a stronger rear dropout, we control frame flex and ensure there won't be any motors walking out of the dropout.

This is all before I get to the best part- you get to talk to yours truly or one of my esteemed colleagues if you have any troubles, and we are conveniently located in rainy North Vancouver, BC, Canada. Warranties are executed quickly, the banter is friendly, and we fight tooth and nail to make sure you have as little downtime as possible. We, like you, get withdrawal symptoms when we can't ride bikes. We understand a fast, friendly, capable support system is vital to maintain excellent customer relationships. The highest compliment we receive is when customers come back to us with several year old bikes, enthusiastic to stay in the OHM family with another model for themselves or family because it has such a positive impact on their lives.

Hello neighbour :) The amount you ride is inspiring! How do you deal with rain round here? OHM bikes are real nice. Maybe one day I'll find it in my budget. Till then, I will just drool for them. :D

Hi Cnugget! I have several changes of clothes at work, and don't mind getting wet on my rides in. I can actually see the North Shore mountains from home, so I can kind-of tell what type of day it will be before I head out the door. Extra socks, extra socks, extra socks. A good rain jacket (with ample venting, I ride hard). I have now started moving over to tights / leggings for my rides in in the morning, and a light ear covering helps with the cold during the winter.

Nothing like just gritting your teeth and grinding out a good wet ride. To keep myself in check I run through what I'm grateful for that day, makes those tough rides a bit easier. Thanks for the bike complement! Hope to see you on one as well. :) 2016s are on clearout right now, for your information....!

Not intending to speak for Daniel the Ohm rep but: I called Ohm a few weeks back. If I recall correctly, the initial 2017s will go on sale late this year but ship directly to the customer. Then last week I checked with a shop in Ontario who said they probably won't see any demos until late in 1st quarter of 2017. I was pretty interested in two of the models but don't really want to try without buying (they do have a good return policy) and not sure I'm going to wait until March 2017 before I make my purchase. So waiting for the shops to have demos probably isn't going to fit into my timeline. Hopefully Daniel can better fill us in on the details of the rollout plan for the 2017s. Too bad they do not choose to participate in the e-bike expos.

Thanks for jumping in, Over50! We are now seeing an ETA of Jan-Feb for the 2017 lineup. Here is some more information if you are interested on the 2017s right now:

https://ohmcycles.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/227355667

Hope you're all having a great Friday. To my fellow Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Daniel

Last edited:
Happy Gobble Wobble! :p You are a braver soul than I. Trying to sort out the rain clothes but it can be a hard one to rationalize when it's dark and rainy. Something to aim for though.

Last edited:
Happy Gobble Wobble! :p You are a braver soul than I. Trying to sort out the rain clothes but it can be a hard one to rationalize when it's dark and rainy. Something to aim for though.

Happy Turkey Day!

I forgot to mention that good podcasts (shoutout to my favourite, The School of Greatness) help the 35-45 min commute fly by.

Back