Just purchased new xm700

Corey

Just wanted to say I am now a proud owner of a new Trek xm 700. I will post updates, thoughts and views once I begin the commuting trek later this week. I will use the bike for commuting to and from work about 30 mile round trip, starting early in the morning (5 am). I have been using a road bike, but late day and hot afternoons seem to wipe me out on the uphill trek home.

Looked at lots of e-bikes, and this forum (thanks court) helped sift out the pros and cons of the various models and options. Really was settled on a hub motor for a long time, tried several models, but when I saw the new XM 700 it just seemed to check all the boxes. Anyway, look forward to being part of this community and hope to add something worthwhile to the group.

Cheers, Corey

What do you think so far?

I tried some of the Currie mid-drive speed pedelecs, and I didn't care for it. (They were functional, but not as fun as I'd hoped.) I still have hopes that the XM700 will suit my preferences more, but I'm having trouble finding a bike shop that stocks it in the San Francisco area.

*sigh* I figured out why nobody has the XM700+ in stock even though July was supposed to be the start of general availability...

The Trek Super Commuter is supposed to arrive in stores within the next month. Like the XM700+ before it, though, supply is going to be tight enough that the earliest I can expect to buy one is March 2017.

It's starting to feel like a good mid-drive speed pedelec isn't in the cards for me.

So far I am impressed with the bike and the ride. I've got 150 miles in a week of commuting to work. The bosch system is nice and the sensors seem to mimic riding better than the other mid drives I rode. Less after pedal stroke acceleration, etc. I don't notice the noise after the first few days and I sure appreciate the extra help on the way home after a long day. I'm riding about 30-32 miles round trip and have plenty of battery left. I find I use Eco most of the time with some Tour thrown in. I really like the ability of the back hub to freewheel since I can coast down hills and the bosch controls easily let you switch between modes so I can turn it to off and save any charge (not that I've needed it). The bike is heavy, but hit 38mph coasting one of the big hills the other day, so the weight adds to the enjoyment.

I don't use the supplied light much, but it did come in handy when mine (L&M 500) went dark on the ride into work ( I start out at 5 am). The plastic fenders rattle some over bumps, but sound better than metal ones I've had before, especially when riding through small grit etc.

Still getting used to the upright ride after years of being bent over a road bike, but I now enjoy my commute home crusing along with a little help. I find the bike extremely stable, I ride a lot with no hands on the trail portion of my ride, and I'm using an Ortlieb pannier on one side. I have noticed the front wheel can be a little squirrely when the pannier is really loaded, so thinking maybe a top bag would balance things out a little (eliminating the side pannier).

So overall, I enjoy the bike, only feel a little trepidation when approaching or passing road bikes, otherwise, most people have been interested and everything has worked better than I planned. I did switch to a spiked Wellgo flat pedal to see how I liked commuting in tennis shoes. That jury is still out. Love the comfort, don't really miss my speedplays but will switch out and see if I feel differently. Glad I jumped in to the fray, thanks again to all the people who posted to the forums. If your curious about anything else I missed, I'll be glad to followup after a few more weeks in the saddle.

After a 5-month wait, I got my Trek XM700+ in early August. Overall, I'm very pleased. I had high expectations, and the XM hasn't disappointed me in any way. Some observations in my first 200 or so miles:
  • Smooth pedal assist. It is more subtle than my girlfriends hub drive, which supplies a dramatic surge when you hit pedals or throttle. In contrast, the XM's pedelect system supplies energy that is so well-integrated with the rider's pedal strokes that it is hard to tell them apart. It just feels like I've got a lot more power in my legs!
  • Impressive range in lower-power modes ("Eco" and "Tour"). If I'm content to ride around 16 mph, the on-board computer tells me I can ride 65 miles or so on a full charge.
  • The bike handles very well, with power assist on or off. There will be no problem pedaling home with a discharged battery (it's flat terrain here, which helps).
  • The frame is tall for 55cm. I'm 6' tall and have just enough standover clearance.
  • Love the brakes: smooth, powerful, quiet.
  • The front fender rattled a bit over bumps. I stuck a small piece of rubber (cut from an inner tube) between the fork and fender just under the fork crown, using a piece of double-sided foam tape. This has mostly eliminated the rattle.
  • For greater comfort, I changed the stock saddle for a Planet Bike ARS (Anatomic Relief). As others have discovered, a good suspension seatpost--I installed a Thudbuster LT--smooths out the ride nicely.
  • My bike had served as a demo, and the Powerpack 400 battery was scuffed up from coming loose due to improper insertion. As Court Rye noted in his excellent vido review of the XM700, the battery has to be firmly inserted to lock to the frame properly.
  • I bought a battery cover to cover up all the scuffs and scratches on the battery case (see item above). In addition to this cosmetic improvement, they say the cover will keep the battery warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather (?), and protect the case from a drop (too late for that). Here's where I bought it: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ry-power-pack-300-and-400aktive-perfor-448153
  • The "walk assist", supposedly disabled for USA imports, is still enabled on my unit. The bad news: it "walks" itself at a brisk 9mph.
  • Girlfriend's daughter said of the black color scheme, "It looks like a phantom." Viola, the bike found its name: The Phantom. (Sometimes I call it "Sparky" too.)
I'll be glad to post additional observations after I get more experience. Best wishes!

*sigh* I figured out why nobody has the XM700+ in stock even though July was supposed to be the start of general availability...

The Trek Super Commuter is supposed to arrive in stores within the next month. Like the XM700+ before it, though, supply is going to be tight enough that the earliest I can expect to buy one is March 2017.

It's starting to feel like a good mid-drive speed pedelec isn't in the cards for me.
My LBS says that the Super Commuter will cost around $5k, putting it a a significantly different price point than the XM700.

So far I am impressed with the bike and the ride. I've got 150 miles in a week of commuting to work. The bosch system is nice and the sensors seem to mimic riding better than the other mid drives I rode. Less after pedal stroke acceleration, etc. I don't notice the noise after the first few days and I sure appreciate the extra help on the way home after a long day. I'm riding about 30-32 miles round trip and have plenty of battery left. I find I use Eco most of the time with some Tour thrown in. I really like the ability of the back hub to freewheel since I can coast down hills and the bosch controls easily let you switch between modes so I can turn it to off and save any charge (not that I've needed it). The bike is heavy, but hit 38mph coasting one of the big hills the other day, so the weight adds to the enjoyment.

I don't use the supplied light much, but it did come in handy when mine (L&M 500) went dark on the ride into work ( I start out at 5 am). The plastic fenders rattle some over bumps, but sound better than metal ones I've had before, especially when riding through small grit etc.

Still getting used to the upright ride after years of being bent over a road bike, but I now enjoy my commute home crusing along with a little help. I find the bike extremely stable, I ride a lot with no hands on the trail portion of my ride, and I'm using an Ortlieb pannier on one side. I have noticed the front wheel can be a little squirrely when the pannier is really loaded, so thinking maybe a top bag would balance things out a little (eliminating the side pannier).

So overall, I enjoy the bike, only feel a little trepidation when approaching or passing road bikes, otherwise, most people have been interested and everything has worked better than I planned. I did switch to a spiked Wellgo flat pedal to see how I liked commuting in tennis shoes. That jury is still out. Love the comfort, don't really miss my speedplays but will switch out and see if I feel differently. Glad I jumped in to the fray, thanks again to all the people who posted to the forums. If your curious about anything else I missed, I'll be glad to followup after a few more weeks in the saddle.
Congratulations on your new bike. I'm looking forward to hearing more observations as you get to know the bike. Thanks!

My LBS says that the Super Commuter will cost around $5k, putting it a a significantly different price point than the XM700.

I spoke to a manager and figured out the story: they are going to start stocking the Dual Sport+ in favor of the XM700+ until the Super Commuter becomes available. I've never tried the STePS system, but at only 20mph it's a no-go. (Everyone seems willing to install "the dongle" for $200, but I feel more comfortable riding a bike designed for that speed.)

Fortunately, he was extremely willing to order a bike to one of the local shops, and I may be an owner next week. :)

So does this mean the XM700+ is probably going to be discontinued once the Super Commuter is available? The XM700+ is one of my top choices because of Trek dealers are everywhere and because I like the urban styling of the XM. I'm not going to make a purchase until next spring so sounds like the XM may not be around by then.

So does this mean the XM700+ is probably going to be discontinued once the Super Commuter is available? The XM700+ is one of my top choices because of Trek dealers are everywhere and because I like the urban styling of the XM. I'm not going to make a purchase until next spring so sounds like the XM may not be around by then.

That's what I'm being told, and Trek doesn't seem to prefer having a large number of models out, but it's difficult to say that far out. It's possible that the Super Commuter will just be added on as a higher price tier.

I ended up buying the XM700+ after just a couple of miles of riding. Unlike the other bikes I test rode, it feels just like a bike and rides really well. Battery life doesn't seem to be a real issue with my riding habits, and it's pretty easy to push to 27MPH (it doesn't quite seem to hit 28 most of the time, but the wind starts getting pretty brutal with the upright position).

Even more than I expected, riding without any power is completely reasonable. It's also really forgiving with switching gears under power (unlike the awful grinding with the Yamaha and TranzX models I rode).

Criticisms so far:

1. The disc brakes became unaligned immediately after removing the tire. This is my first set of disc brakes so the issue is probably inherent to the technology, but it's surprising that they include quick release.
  2. The bike is surprisingly large. 55cm, as the middle frame size, seemed like a medium, but this bike is built for very large people. The motor has a lot of clearance underneath it, making it difficult to place my feet on the ground at lights while having a good range of motion while moving.
  3. Partly as a consequence of size and partly from speed, it's difficult to take tight corners.
The walk button doesn't work (U.S. model), and I really wish I could capture the torque sensor data with my phone. I'm really happy with it, though. I can't wait to exhaust the battery on a long ride this weekend.

...I ended up buying the XM700+ after just a couple of miles of riding. Unlike the other bikes I test rode, it feels just like a bike and rides really well...

Thanks for the info. That description matches other comments I've read or heard. I really like the city/urban bike style of the XM. I hope the Super Commuter is just an addition to the product mix and not a replacement. To me the SC resembles the Specialized Turbo which I had kind of stricken from my shopping list mostly because it has too much of a "race" look. That isn't meant as a criticism because they look great - just at my age I feel the urban/commuter style is just a better fit. In fact, the closer I can get to kind of the urban style of my Spot Brand regular bike the better. The XM kind of fits that style for me. I hope they keep it around at least for another model year.

Chatted with Chris N. at Trek's website tonight to get some information. Here is what he shared. Take it for what it's worth.

1. XM700+ and Super Commuter will co-exist. SC does not replace XM
  2. Specs on SC will arrive 9.5.16 but delivery won't be available US until APR 2017
  3. 2016 XMs may no longer being manufactured. He said 2017 XMs will be available at Thanksgiving. No major changes.
  4. MSRP of 2017 XMs will stay at $3500
  5. Trek has no way to "locate" an XM that might be in a retail establishment. They don't track store inventory. They are independently owned & operated. Only way to find inventory would be to look at individual store websites for inventory and/or call them.
  6. Trek has no way to notify when 2017s are shipped to local stores. Best way is to work with local stores and have them order / tell you when coming into stock.

Great info. Glad to hear they will co-exist. The XM is still towards the top of my shopping list. Thanks for the update.

...I'll be glad to followup after a few more weeks in the saddle...

Have you found the front suspension to be sufficient? And did you feel the need to add any seat suspension? Any other updates after a couple more weeks of use? Thanks

Have you found the front suspension to be sufficient? And did you feel the need to add any seat suspension? Any other updates after a couple more weeks of use? Thanks
I have an XM700. The monoshock seems adequate. However, it feels a bit sticky when I lean on the bars to test it. I'm still playing with the amount of preload. Regarding saddle comfort, my Thudbuster LT suspension seatpost with an a different saddle feels way more comfortable to me. Of course, this is very subjective, and others may find the stock post and saddle perfectly fine.

Great thread! I am seriously considering the XM and the Specialized Turbo X. I also rode the Stromer but it's too heavy (I need to carry it up stairs at BART and load it into my hatchback).

A few questions I'd love to have answered!

1. Any thoughts on sizing? The 55 looks huge (more like a 59 or 60). In looking at top tube and standover, the 50 looks more like a 54-56. Am I reading these figures right? I normally ride a 56cm Cannondale road bike, but I think I'd need the 50 cm Trek (sounds ridiculous but the numbers don't lie, right?). I'm 5'9" with a 30-31" inseam (longish legs).

2. Range! If I'm pedaling with decent effort (I'm a regular cyclist already), can I realistically expect to be able to cruise at 26-28 mph on the flats for ~20 miles? One review said the speedometer was 2 mph optimistic (meaning that the top assist speed is only 26, not a true 28).

3. Would the bike be decent/capable on hard-packed trails? My preferred commute would involve a few miles on hard dirt (not real mountain biking, but not pavement).

4. Anyone else compare this with the Specialized Turbo X? They are close in price with the biggest difference being the hub (goSwiss) vs. mid (Bosch) assist.

(More details below from a similar thread in the Trek subforum.)

=====

Hi Everyone-

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post in this sub. I'm really interested in getting an e bike for my commute. I'm an avid road cyclist, but I'm excited to go electric to save both time and energy.

MAIN QUESTION: If I'm pedaling with decent effort (I'm a regular cyclist already), can I realistically expect to be able to cruise at 26-28 mph on the flats for ~20 miles?

I would love some real-world experience here! Cruising on my road bike with a solid effort yields 20-22 mph, but I want to go even faster (shorten my long commute), be less tired (especially due to a shorter ride time, if not lower effort), and be able to ride hard-packed trails that aren't great on a road bike (see below)

Details- I want to commute between 15-25 miles and I want to go as fast as possible. I'm willing to ride with a good solid effort. Looking to spend up to about $4k and keep it light enough to load in and out of a hatchback. I also want the ability to ride on hard-packed trails (not real mountain biking but rougher than pavement).

This is a bit open ended, but I'd love any thoughts or experience. Thanks in advance!

Great thread! I am seriously considering the XM and the Specialized Turbo X. I also rode the Stromer but it's too heavy (I need to carry it up stairs at BART and load it into my hatchback).

A few questions I'd love to have answered!

1. Any thoughts on sizing? The 55 looks huge (more like a 59 or 60
I use a 58-60cm road bike, and my 55cm XM700 is almost too tall. At 5'9" (I'm 6'), you would probably do better with the 50cm frame IMHO.

1. Any thoughts on sizing? The 55 looks huge (more like a 59 or 60). In looking at top tube and standover, the 50 looks more like a 54-56. Am I reading these figures right? I normally ride a 56cm Cannondale road bike, but I think I'd need the 50 cm Trek (sounds ridiculous but the numbers don't lie, right?). I'm 5'9" with a 30-31" inseam (longish legs)...
I posted this in the forum here somewhere: I test rode the XM a week or so ago. It was a 55 and I had to stand on tip toes to have any clearance over the top tube (and it was by a fraction of an inch). I am 5'9" and have a 29 - 29.5" inseam. The 55 felt too large for me. My regular bike is a 52 and it feels about right. So if I buy the XM, I'm certain the 50 is the right choice.

I posted this in the forum here somewhere: I test rode the XM a week or so ago. It was a 55 and I had to stand on tip toes to have any clearance over the top tube (and it was by a fraction of an inch). I am 5'9" and have a 29 - 29.5" inseam. The 55 felt too large for me. My regular bike is a 52 and it feels about right. So if I buy the XM, I'm certain the 50 is the right choice.

Thanks- I almost ordered a 55 until I read comments from your and others that the sizing is very large (larger than the 55 would lead you to believe). I'm excited to try a 50 cm bike.

Back