Just another Rad rover devotee from Vancouver Island, Canada

how

I have just had my new 2020 fat tire rad rover step-through for less than a month but have already clocked over 600 kilometers. Having a ball!
One of the reasons for coming here is that I've ordered one of Bolton's controller & LCD upgrades but today I realized that although I've seen many videos of folks successfully installing this upgrade on rad rovers, I have not yet seen one installed on a step -through model. Is there something about the different frame setup of a step-through that offers wiring or connection complications. Is there anyone here who has installed one of these upgrade kits on a step-through and if so....was it pretty straight forward or is there something I need to prepare for?
Cheers
Howard

Hello I too am on Vancouver Island. My wife and I just got ebikes delivered end of July. Considered Rad power but ended up with Rize X. And Rize Leisure Step thru both are fat tire bikes. The Rize X has a true 750 watt bafang motor and is a lot more powerful than wife’s step thru which has I believe the same set up as the Rad Rover. So I am considering upgrading her bike with higher amp controller. The frame is bigger on the Rize bikes and they put the controllers in side the frame for a cleaner look but new larger controllers won’t fit inside so I too will be considering installing it like the Rad power. Not sure if connections/terminals are same yet and would have to most likely make up some extensions? When you get your upgraded controller would you be able to snap a few pics of it/terminals?
We too are really enjoying the bikes no regrets at all. I’ve put over 600 kms on mine love it! Thanks Brent

Last edited:
Hello I too am on Vancouver Island. My wife and I just got ebikes delivered end of July. Considered Rad power but ended up with Rize X. And Rize Leisure Step thru both are fat tire bikes. The Rize X has a true 750 watt bafang motor and is a lot more powerful than wife’s step thru which has I believe the same set up as the Rad Rover. So I am considering upgrading her bike with higher amp controller. The frame is bigger on the Rize bikes and they put the controllers in side the frame for a cleaner look but new larger controllers won’t fit inside so I too will be considering installing it like the Rad power. Not sure if connections/terminals are same yet and would have to most likely make up some extensions? When you get your upgraded controller would you be able to snap a few pics of it/terminals?
We too are really enjoying the bikes no regrets at all. I’ve put over 600 kms on mine love it! Thanks Brent
No problem (when it finally arrives) but I bet there are other folks out there who have already taken u-tube videos of themselves installing the Bolton kits on the Rad Rover that might show you the info you seek. What kind of distance are you getting on the Rize?

The Leisure has 20 ah battery and the Rize X with the 750 motor has 19.2 but it has a higher discharge rate to meet higher amp draw. I got up to 80 kms on my X and had about 30% left usually just charge both bikes after a ride. Where are you at ? We’re in Chemainus 🚴‍♂️

The Leisure has 20 ah battery and the Rize X with the 750 motor has 19.2 but it has a higher discharge rate to meet higher amp draw. I got up to 80 kms on my X and had about 30% left usually just charge both bikes after a ride. Where are you at ? We’re in Chemainus 🚴‍♂️
14 ah stock battery with Rad Rover. I'm 195lbs and get about 60kms of relatively flat trail riding when sticking in a powermode of 2 so you can expect a significant drop on that with Boltons modification. I am in Victoria.

I just ordered the Leisure Step as well and according to the website it has the exact same motor/battery as the Rize X. The Leisure Step I ordered has the Bafang 750 Watt, 80 N.m with the LG 48V Lithium-Ion 19.2Ah, 912Wh battery. Although you can get the Step with the LG 48V Lithium-Ion 16Ah, 768Wh battery for a few hundred cheaper, the motors are the same.

Hello kahuna I just checked Rize.ca and the Leisure step comes with 500 watt and 17ah battery or 20ah they told me the 750 watt Leisure is not available in Canada are you sure your getting the 750 watt 19.2ah?

Hey Brentmax,

I am actually in the USA so maybe that's the mix up. This is a screenshot of the Leisure Step from the US site:

1601933753453.png

Yeah I wish I could have got the 750 watt also in the Leisure step but wasn’t available in Canada don’t understand why because I have the 750 w on my Rize x?

Rize bikes told me we wouldn’t hardly notice the difference but there is a big difference when my wife and I ride together my Rize x can really pull away from her Leisure🤪 hence the reason I am looking at the Rad bike up grade

I'm in Philadelphia. I actually just called Rize to verify my bike was coming with the 750 watt motor and he said it is. He said the bike is so popular in Canada they didn't particularly need to add the 750 watt motor because most people don't necessarily need the extra power and they can offer it cheaper in that sense as well.

The is a lot of debate of whether specific motors are actually swapped in and out for each counties limitation requirements or if the easier to swap controller is changed. With the wide range of watt measurement allowances on motors, it has been suggested that an OEM controller swap is the more likely business model that is followed.

There is a big difference between the 500watt bafang rear hub motor and the 750 watt check Bolton ebikes website he opens up both motors on utube vid internals are a lot beefier on 750 video shows him swapping a 500 w with a 750w uses same case just swaps internals they look the same on outside but are different inside

Back