JUMP- ebike Share Company in San Francisco and DC -coming to Chicago?

The Bloomberg reporter is correct the DC dockless bikeshare trial is scheduled to end soon, but I saw a tweet from DDoT talking about ‘when’ not ‘if’ the trial would be extended on the same day a DC Councillor asked DDoT to look at revising the city’s ebike regulations, I think it sounds like this will become permanent, it just matters how many bikes and scooters the city permits DoBi companies to operate.

There are issues to be ironed out with regards to shared electric scooters as the current regs were written to accommodate segways.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the Lime dockless electric ride share bikes starting to appear in Santa Monica. I’m guessing they are using the disruptor model like Bird and haven’t asked for permission from the city.

Does anyone know what motors Jump and Limebike are using?

Send their customer service folks an email, both are using 250w hub motors but Lime is using either a detuned system or the single speed is geared too high as reportedly it doesn't like going up hills as well as the JUMP bike motor.

Last edited:
Interesting article about a mailer Uber sent to regular JUMP customers to gauge interest in a subscription service JUMP+. Pay $50 per month / $600 a year for unlimited use of your own personal JUMP ebike, maintenance and theft replacement included : Uber prepares subscription e-bike service. But comments on the authors tweets suggest this may not be a genuine offer but a way to get around city restrictions on the number of ebikes these companies can operate.

Here in DC, a company called Riide does something similar with option to get a replacement ebike every two years but their offer is a single speed ebike for $80/month. $50/month for a 3-speed ebike compares well with a monthly transit pass and Uber’s gearing is better able to cope with DC’s hills.

In other news Uber JUMP now also operates in Austin and Chicago.

Last edited:
Interesting article about a mailer Uber sent to regular JUMP customers to gauge interest in a subscription service JUMP+. Pay $50 per month / $600 a year for unlimited use of your own personal JUMP ebike, maintenance and theft replacement included

Having used them, I think a big appeal of the dockless e-bikes/scooters is that you can leave them anywhere. The Verge had a story about how Bird was looking to launch a service that delivers a scooter to you. If that happens I can see a subscription model making sense given that it could replace a car in an urban environment.

Back