Juiced odk

We have one. It is ok for our use, but would not buy again for our specific purposes. The combination of the weight, speed, and lack of suspension are not good unless you're on an immaculately paved road. Hit an unexpected pothole in traffic and things could turn out very very bad for you. I'm a very experienced cyclist, and almost bit it a few times. Now I don't ride nearly at full speed. Also, don't get sucked in by the blog posts or photos of accessories. We found that few of those were actually available for purchase. It's a start-up that struggles to keep things in stock (including the bicycle itself).

If I were doing this again, I'd really love to see a similarly styled bike that has at least front suspension, and probably even full suspension. and I'd like to see that motor actually ON the bike frame (like the Bosch drive motor system), as this seems like it would make the weight/balance work better, and would minimize jolts to your expensive equipment since it would then be on the padded side of the suspension. And Bosch has a lot of experience making high-quality motors, unlike whoever made my motor, which whines rhythmically in a rather odd way.

@Emily D, there is a fine balance between the cost of producing a high powered cargo bike with a good battery, quality components and adequate range for a reasonable price for the buyer and creating your ultimate cargo ebike. You might want to consider doing a conversion of another bike with a mid drive. For the money, the Juiced bike is a good deal. And Torra Harris, the owner is very responsive to his ebike owners. Anything with Bosch or Yamaha motors is definitely in a different price bracket. You have to think about what terrain is like where you're going to ride and what your personal needs are for a cargo bike and determine how much you want to spend. Most cargo bikes are ridden on a paved road and are designed to carry a substantial load. You can do upgrades on your own and add suspension forks or a suspension seatpost for greater comfort. I'd also recommend doing a test ride before purchasing any ebike to be certain that the model you're considering buying is really the best for you.

Perhaps you have not spent a lot of time riding electric bikes with geared motors; they all have some sound but produce more torque or climbing power than a typical gearless or direct drive hub motor. That's normal for all brands, including Bosch (it's not silent). Hub motors and mid drive motors are two different beasts and each has its sweet spot in performance, price and serviceability, so one is not better than the other. Take the time to learn a little bit about each; Court did a nice overview of the main types of electric motors and another focused on mid drive motors that may give you some perspective.

Hey @Emily D! I enjoyed reading your comment and tend to agree with many of the points made... I'm a big fan of suspension and the mid drive motors (especially Bosch) but @Ann M. makes a good point about the price differences. I haven't seen any stock cargo bikes with a suspension fork but it's something you might be able to add to the electric Xtracycle EdgeRunner. That plus a suspension seat post would be awesome :D

@Emily D, there is a fine balance between the cost of producing a high powered cargo bike with a good battery, quality components and adequate range for a reasonable price for the buyer and creating your ultimate cargo ebike. You might want to consider doing a conversion of another bike with a mid drive. For the money, the Juiced bike is a good deal. And Torra Harris, the owner is very responsive to his ebike owners. Anything with Bosch or Yamaha motors is definitely in a different price bracket. You have to think about what terrain is like where you're going to ride and what your personal needs are for a cargo bike and determine how much you want to spend. Most cargo bikes are ridden on a paved road and are designed to carry a substantial load. You can do upgrades on your own and add suspension forks or a suspension seatpost for greater comfort. I'd also recommend doing a test ride before purchasing any ebike to be certain that the model you're considering buying is really the best for you.

Perhaps you have not spent a lot of time riding electric bikes with geared motors; they all have some sound but produce more torque or climbing power than a typical gearless or direct drive hub motor. That's normal for all brands, including Bosch (it's not silent). Hub motors and mid drive motors are two different beasts and each has its sweet spot in performance, price and serviceability, so one is not better than the other. Take the time to learn a little bit about each; Court did a nice overview of the main types of electric motors and another focused on mid drive motors that may give you some perspective.

Hi Ann,

Do you know this to be true, that one can put suspension forks on U500? v3. Know I had trouble converting a rigid fork bike once.

Traded in my 1st eBike for the Juiced Bikes ODK U500 V3 and so far got a little over 200 miles clocked in and really enjoying the bike! Unfortunately I have not tried the pedego cargo although I was debating that and spicy and other cargo bikes, I eventually chose the ODK U500 because it was a midtail and I wasn't really in need of a full cargo bike. I also chose this for the range.

I got the 32ah battery and just recently did a range test just to see how it was for me. I'm around 185lbs so 190ish with clothing, I also have the heavy moped tires, and a few accessories that added another pound or two. Test was around the city of Chicago as I mostly use the bike for urban commuting to work as well as point A to B for recreational activities, so mostly paved roads, mostly flat, but Chicago does have bumpy terrain and potholes here and there lol.

Anyway was able to get around 50miles! That is riding it hard though lol. Little to no pedaling. Fought some wind by the lakefront and the bike was still moving around 50miles but it was slowing down, so who knows how many more miles I could have squeezed out at reduced performance but I considered the range test done at that point hehe.

I agree on the suspension, I have it stock on that and it can get bumpy, and I have the rear passenger seat kit from them as well and that can feel bumps even more. So I might look into adding a suspension seat as well as more cushion for my passengers lol.

But if you are into these type of eBikes, I recommend the ODK u500, I am really glad I got it.

Of course, if you have the ability to test ride multiple eBikes that will help you decide.

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

@lark, you can use suspension forks with a front hub motor; however, it does require good quality forks and I would suggest 2 torque arms. A bit of common sense that you pedal as you first apply power to reduce the stress on the forks; that's better for your range anyway when you don't ask the bike to do all of the work from a dead stop.

Any replacement fork may require special fitting and there is a trade off with a slight loss of power with suspension forks. If the ride seems a bit too hard on your upper body, consider using a stem with suspension and some not too tight gloves. The gloves help me with extra padding on the palms of my hands which then reduces stress on up the arms.

Back