Juiced CCX - More Stats and Is The Real World Range - Real?

SirJonathan

I did another ride to the coast today:

Starting Voltage: 56.4v
Ending Voltage: 49.2v

Voltage Consumed on ride: 7.2v

Mileage: 23.57 miles
Average Speed: 21.3 mph
Elevation Gain: 472 ft
Moving Time: 66 minutes

There was a lot of wind today.

I took the fenders off - bike was silent. I didn't take anything with me on this ride - no water. My weight with my helmet and clothes was 155lbs.

So with 7 volts consumed I went around 23.5 miles. If the maximum charge is 58 volts, and the low voltage threshold is set at 44 volts, I've got 14 volts to play with. That would theoretically mean I would be able to double my mileage from this ride in these conditions which would put me at around 47 miles.

I believe Juiced says at 22mph (Level 3 Assist) you would have a range of 51 miles. That's for 190lbs of rider + gear. I was around 30 pounds lighter than that. But I encountered a lot of wind. And I had to go up and down maybe 15 total underpasses of various inclines - some are rather steep.

If you wanted to ride between the 80% and 20% range (55v to 45v) then that's only 10v which means I could get maybe 30 miles in conditions like today.

All in all I think my real world range is right along the numbers that Juiced publishes on their website. On a warm day without wind on purely flat level ground I probably could have eked out 55 miles.

I used only Assist Level 3 the entire ride with some usage of throttle on the underpasses. Still really enjoying this bike - although now it's dirty!

I'd love to hear some other reviews about range.

One from my CCS with 48v battery.
Started at 53.4 (92.5%)
Ended at 48.1 (58%)

Mileage 29.5 miles
Average speed 16.5 mph
Elevation Gain 1952ft
Moving time 1 hour 47 mins

Most of that was in eco mode, with 5.5 miles in 3 or S

Me weighing about 190lbs and probably a few more with drink, toolkit, spares etc.
Battery at the end still had loads left in it, could have done another 10 miles before maybe some sagging.

I used to mainly ride (weekends anyway) in 3 or S, but now I prefer to use those only on busier roads that I want to get off quickly. When I’m on quiet roads then always eco

My range numbers were for my original Cross Current with the 840wH battery so they probably aren’t comparable to the more powerful CCX. IME, once you get below 25% battery the bike gets really sluggish. It actually starts to struggle to make it up a modest hill and I’ve heard CCS owners complain of the same thing. I’ve had the 384 and 500wH batteries and this sluggishness is actually more pronounced with the bigger battery. I assume this is because it happens more slowly giving you more time to notice it. I will say the bike also feels noticeably snappier with a fully charged extended range battery probably because the voltage sags less under load.

You can see the total WH since the last time it was reset.

To see WH, go the the advanced menu (hold + and power button)

5:37 in the following video

To reset hold - and power button (8:00 in the video)

Ok, thanks for clarifying that LL.

So to get the most accurate amount of % of battery used is to calculate the total wh’s of the battery: volts x ah = wh’s, reset the wh function as described, go for a normal ride and note the total wh’s used and divide by the miles/km’s ridden. Work out the % of wh’s used from full.

But what this exercise really tells you what wh/mi use you can expect given the speed/terrain/assist level you used above. That will remain consistent but if you go faster/slower/hillier/flatter etc. it will vary up or down a bit accordingly so it is good to run several scenarios over time to get your average wh/mi synced to the easiest reading to access on your display.

Life with two batteries negated all that thought. I road until I reached BMS cutoff. Not a good practice generally but not harmful as done. Changed batteries and repeated. Noted the wattage set 10% as a variance and tracked it to mileage. Never have gotten stuck. I use a grease pencil on the display just like in my aviation days. KISS. Cuz I often am.

new CCX owner with ride stats from one ride:

rider:
61kg, 160cm (134lbs, 5'3")

cycle:
stock except for bars and stem flipped upside down to try and get more comfortable
eco mode the whole way

ride:
41.45km, 1:34:46 elapsed time, 1:26:17 moving time, 149m elevation gain (a ~25 mile out and back, from Mountain View to Fremont via Dumbarton and back for you Bay Area folks)

energy consumption 8.7Wh/mi for the trip. will try it again tomorrow at level 1

new CCX owner with ride stats from one ride:

rider:
61kg, 160cm (134lbs, 5'3")

cycle:
stock except for bars and stem flipped upside down to try and get more comfortable
eco mode the whole way

ride:
41.45km, 1:34:46 elapsed time, 1:26:17 moving time, 149m elevation gain (a ~25 mile out and back, from Mountain View to Fremont via Dumbarton and back for you Bay Area folks)

energy consumption 8.7Wh/mi for the trip. will try it again tomorrow at level 1
Thanks, I appreciate getting real-world data from a variety of riders.

same ride, but with a 130mm -30° stem, 400mm wide drop bars, and level 1 assist, same perceived human effort

1:15:04 elapsed time, 1:13:51 moving time, 13.0Wh/mi. seems all the stop and go for the first half of the distance each way really kills time gains.

Kuromaku did you get the size medium for the CCX. I am 5 feet 6, 148 lbs, I got the medium and it feels a little big. What stem did you get?

Back