Juggernaut Ultra Addons

JimE

The controller display is fastened to the handlebar and I don’t want to remove the display if I need to flip the bike on its head to fix a tire. So I built a plywood standoff to keep the display safe. The standoff is small and light and folds. I can keep it in the pannier on the bike and available on the trail.

I used 1/8 inch lite ply. It’s a bit flimsy so ¼ inch lite ply would be better. The hinges are Gorilla tape but I’ll bet someone can come up with better hinges. I wrapped thin strips of Gorilla tape around the handlebar inboard of the standoff to keep the standoff from sliding out of place.

Attachments

• UltraStandoff.jpg
    UltraStandoff.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • UltraStandoffPhoto.jpg
    UltraStandoffPhoto.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,254
  • upsideDown.jpg
    upsideDown.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,290
On our first long ride, mud was caked on the motor and the two wires leading into the motor. So it’s mudflap time. I used rubber stair tread available from building supply stores. It cuts easily and is heavy enough that it doesn’t blow back in the wind.

On our second long ride, with the mudguard installed, no mud on the motor at all. The mudguard can’t reach the chain and it clears the front of my shoe while pedalling. To install there is no need to remove the two screws on the fender. Simply loosen the screws enough to slip the mudguard top under the wire across the back of the fender and tighten. I used an awl to punch two holes outboard just above the wire and secure with 6” wire ties around the wire. You can see the ends before I trimmed them.

Attachments

• UltraMud.jpg
    UltraMud.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 748
  • UltraMudBack.jpg
    UltraMudBack.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 701
  • UltraMudPart.jpg
    UltraMudPart.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 714
  • UltraMudPattern.jpg
    UltraMudPattern.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 771
  • UltraMudSide.jpg
    UltraMudSide.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 754
On our first long ride, mud was caked on the motor and the two wires leading into the motor. So it’s mudflap time. I used rubber stair tread available from building supply stores. It cuts easily and is heavy enough that it doesn’t blow back in the wind.

On our second long ride, with the mudguard installed, no mud on the motor at all. The mudguard can’t reach the chain and it clears the front of my shoe while pedalling. To install there is no need to remove the two screws on the fender. Simply loosen the screws enough to slip the mudguard top under the wire across the back of the fender and tighten. I used an awl to punch two holes outboard just above the wire and secure with 6” wire ties around the wire. You can see the ends before I trimmed them.

That's a simple and great idea, Jim!

I see the poor review on the tires on your link, but why do so many companies including Juiced, Luna, RadRover, M2S use them? Sure they might be cheaper, but these are "top of the line bikes" so why such bad tires, if in fact they are "bad" tires? I don't know the answer, I am just asking.

Why use the worst tires? These aren't really top of the line bikes. Mid range would be a more apt description.

Why use the worst tires? These aren't really top of the line bikes. Mid range would be a more apt description.
Agreed. These tires are dirt cheap to manufactures in China, that is why almost every ebike uses them. Look at regular non- electric fat bikes and none of them use Kendas.

These are the ones I put on my Juggernaut:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I am quite happy with them, very quiet and smooth - but mind you, I ride mainly on paved roads or hard packed dirt.

The increased rolling resistance is not a big deal on an ebike, compared to an unassisted fat bike. Increased traction is the gain with these...

The increased rolling resistance is not a big deal on an ebike, compared to an unassisted fat bike. Increased traction is the gain with these...
Yes, that is true but it can make a difference when coupled with aero drag, at speeds greater than 12mph and as you go faster the resistance and drag increase dramatically. This might not be a big deal on a 1000w ebike but on an average one, it can be a factor. Plus add in the extra noise and weight, replacement is worth considering.

Mine is charging in the garage.

niiice! I'm not gonna get mine for a little while yet but I got a deposit on it... Going away for vacations first. Jealous of yall who have got the Ultra already!

Jazz that is true about overall resistance, although rolling resistance is one that's mostly effective at lowest speeds (the test is also typically performed from standstill I think). I think it's less of a factor at higher speeds due to rotational momentum counteracting it to a degree, but there's no doubt that choice of tire will affect top speed figures.

There is always an ideal tire to different riding requirements, no single tire will excel at them all and I think these are a good stock option. It would be cool to see some others as optional upgrade right from assembly though!

These are the ones I put on my Juggernaut:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I am quite happy with them, very quiet and smooth - but mind you, I ride mainly on paved roads or hard packed dirt.

Actually, these look good. Maybe I'll go 26x3.5 instead of 26x3. Great - more research to do......

Bar end mirror, ultra bright headlight and foldable grocery baskets. I can carry two twelve packs in the baskets and not even feel it. Love this bike !

Back