iZip ProTour

negativestraw

I'm trying to choose a bike that will enable me to ride to and from work. It's about 20mi each way. After poking around, the iZip ProTour seems to have everything i'd like in a commuter ebike, but the range is pretty lackluster at about 15-16mi minimum.

Is it possible to augment that range on a bike like this with an after market battery mounted on the back rack or something?

Anyone have any alternative recommendations? Things I like about this bike:
1. I'm short - it comes in several sizes
2. It has a throttle. I'm a type 1 diabetic and there are going to be days when I just feel shitty and i'd like to be able to use a throttle to mitigate that sometimes.
3. It's got a suspension fork in the front
4. COBI on the 2017 - not sure if this is a pro or a con yet, but it's interesting.

I'm trying to choose a bike that will enable me to ride to and from work. It's about 20mi each way. After poking around, the iZip ProTour seems to have everything i'd like in a commuter ebike, but the range is pretty lackluster at about 15-16mi minimum.

Is it possible to augment that range on a bike like this with an after market battery mounted on the back rack or something?

2. It has a throttle. I'm a type 1 diabetic and there are going to be days when I just feel shitty and i'd like to be able to use a throttle to mitigate that sometimes.
4. COBI on the 2017 - not sure if this is a pro or a con yet, but it's interesting.
In your situation where your battery might not be enough for the one way ride and the integrated frame battery is hard to find, I think you are better off with the Izip Dash since a spare battery can be more readily available.

Last edited:

I checked the battery connector and terminals of my IZIP and these are proprietary, meaning it is not easy to mess around with the electricals.

Your other option is the hub driven ebike. Make sure you try it first and see if you are OK with the Gear whine / noise.

Or you may be interested on a comfortable feet forward / flat foot design (you easily reach the ground with the heels instead of the toes.)

Or the EG Oahu 500 EX.

Back