iZip Moda vs. Surface 604 Rook

JohnJ

I like the Surface 604 products a lot, BUT they are out of production for a couple of months while they xfer manufacturing to another country. With essentially no product they are effectively out of business for a while and I am concerned about their future. For a planned "pause" like this, you would think they would have planned a better transition for the customer. Apparently not, so this is a red flag on viability to me.
An alternative is the iZip Moto, more $ but a very nice product! But Accel, their parent company, has recently declared the US business (Raleigh USA, etc) are no longer core business as they losing big $ and they must rightsize in the future. So not a good situation. Lots of questions.
Also, no Moda dealers in the entire state or close by, so I must assemble. Not a problem for me, until there is an issue then it is remote tech support, not good. Don't know where this leaves me for warranty issues (if any) for example, without an LBS.
So my question is which to choose?? Lots going on in the e-Bike industry. Am I overthinking this? Both are reputable companies today. Thoughts??? Experience with these companies? Alternatives?
Would really like to do business with one of these companies. Nice products.
Thanks in advance.

I am surprised to hear that Surface bikes are not available to you? I just checked online and there is no mention of a shortage and it shows Rook available in black small/ med ....what size do you need? I see The Colt is available in large but not the Rook.

I like the Surface 604 products a lot, BUT they are out of production for a couple of months while they xfer manufacturing to another country. With essentially no product they are effectively out of business for a while and I am concerned about their future. For a planned "pause" like this, you would think they would have planned a better transition for the customer. Apparently not, so this is a red flag on viability to me.

I imagine they weren't planning on the USA slapping tariffs on Chinese imports, which I assume is the reason for deciding to move their production facilities.

Take a look at Eprodigy Magic. Very much the same look, feel and features. I was able to put my together very easily by myself. There are some authorized dealers and repair shop but the closest to me is a couple of hours away. I love mine and its my daily commuter and errand runner. Delivery was within 4 days and I had an issue with the controller and they sent me a replacement overnight and under warranty

I was going to purchase a Surface604 Shred and wanted the optional larger battery, I was told the batteries won't be available again.....ever. Scared me away to a Voltbike Yukon.

Take a look at Eprodigy Magic. Very much the same look, feel and features. I was able to put my together very easily by myself. There are some authorized dealers and repair shop but the closest to me is a couple of hours away. I love mine and its my daily commuter and errand runner. Delivery was within 4 days and I had an issue with the controller and they sent me a replacement overnight and under warranty

I can second that, I have an eProdigy Magic Pro and it's awesome, the motor is a proprietary mid drive and a real powerhouse. I've never understood why these bikes aren't bigger sellers. I think maybe they're overpriced.

If you want to save money and geta good bike go for the online route. There is always a risk but remote tech support is not the end of the world. Moda seems like a very good bike.

If you want to buy it from a shop try a Giant dealer since they are easier to locate and prices are somewhat reasonable and the largest bicycle company hence support should be good. Quick-e for example seems like a nice model.

Back