Izip E3 path plus VS Pedego City Commuter

gtawest

Hi all,
I've been looking for an all round traditional city bike, and narrowed my choices to the Izip E3 path plus (2014) and the Pedego City commuter. Once you spend the extra money to buy lighting for the Path plus, the price difference between the two make it close enough to be a non issue. Aside from their practicality, I'm attracted to the traditional bike look of these models where when fitted with a set of panniers, they can easily be mistaken for regular bikes.

Here are my prime considerations:

1. Reliability/longevity: Since I'm not using it as a commuter, I've got to justify this purchase over (I hope) ten years with little more than a battery replacement.

2. Cost/availability of service: Both bikes are presently sold in my area (Toronto, Canada), but will both companies be around long enough to reasonably expect parts and service down the road? The industry seems to be littered with once-promising companies that are now out of business.

3. Stealth factor: I have no problems with a nice looking bike, but I'm not looking for undue attention either from other riders or when parked. Is it realistic to even assume that with a set of bags on the back, I'd be largely unnoticed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I owned a Path Plus (2014) for 550 miles and then switched to the City Commuter. The Path Plus had a QC problem with glue in the motor but has since been resolved. They are two very different bikes. The Path Plus has a more aggressive riding position than the more upright City Commuter. You mentioned lighting for the bikes. The built-in lights on the City Commuter are not nearly bright enough to be trusted for safety at night. I use them, but in conjunction with much brighter add-on lights. The shock absorber in the seat of the City Commuter and balloon tires give it more of a gentle ride than the Path Plus which has no suspension. I have Ortlieb panniers on the City Commuter and no one can tell it is an electric bike. I would suggest test riding both if possible before purchasing.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, gskbrew. I was aware of the recent motor issue with the Path Plus, but didn't expect the difference in riding characteristics as you suggest. I hope to spend some time with both models later this week. Thanks again, the information will be a great help.

Back