IZIP Dash vs Surface 604 Colt for Commuting

What do you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jax

I'd love to get people's thoughts on a 2016 IZIP Dash (on sale for $1999) vs a Surface 604 Colt ($1899) for a hill-infested, bumpy, on-road, 6-mile (usually hot, humid) commute. I like that both bikes have integrated fenders, rack, lights, front suspension, and hydraulic disk brakes.

The 28 mph (Dash) vs 20 (Colt) is not a huge consideration... nice to have but not essential. I like that both have torque sensors, but the Dash sounds like it responds more to cadence and assist is a bit delayed. Battery capacity is a bit larger on the Colt. Not sure if the Dash mid-drive motor is functionally much better than the Colt rear hub. I know the torque is better, but I don't know that torque is my biggest concern.

Biggest concern is that I'm in Atlanta, with no bike dealers that carry either brand. Only available are Easy Motion (too expensive) and Pedego (no torque sensors, other issues). Any thoughts on reliability of Dash or Colt, since the nearest dealer will be at least 2 hrs away?

Thanks!

I've ridden the Colt and it feels like a cadence sensing bike (even though they advertise it has torque sensor.) The EBR review says the Dash feels like a cadence sensor too so probably not much difference in the feel of both bikes. Tough choice really. The Dash only has 400W peak which isn't much but it has a higher top speed. The Colt will do 750W peak but it limits you to ~20mph top speed. I know you said that the top speed doesn't matter but I think that the more you ride e-bikes the more it will get on your nerves.

Thanks Dunbar. The bike is actually for my wife, who generally doesn't go too fast, though she may change her mind once she gets used to an ebike. Good to know about the feel of the Colt. I've got a 1st gen CrossCurrent myself, which I generally love except that I've been through two controllers and a display in the first 9 months. I'm looking for something that might be a bit more reliable. Maybe the more recent CrossCurrents have had fewer issues. I hear they have more attachment points now for fenders and rack.

Any suggestions if I'm willing to go up to the mid-$2k range?

Maybe an Izip E3 Protour on closeout. I also really liked the SmartMotion Pacer I rode although it lists for $2700-2800.

I've had a few issues with my Cross Current but my dealer has been awesome getting it fixed within a day in all cases and giving me a loaner bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions Dunbar. If I were close to a dealer, I'd probably get another CrossCurrent.

Thanks. I saw the same deal and went ahead and bought one. I'm not near a dealer so had it shipped to my house. Assembly yesterday seemed pretty easy, though they don't provide instructions. First ride is tomorrow!

Ugh. Mistake.

I figured that a $3k (originally priced) bike from a big manufacturer would ride well, especially one that was selected as best affordable mid-drive. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by my Juiced CrossCurrent. In short, I should have listened to Dunbar.

Not to fall victim to Tiny Details Exagguration Syndrome, but I was less than pleased with the feel of the assist on the 2016 Dash I ordered. Even my wife, who has barely ridden ebikes, noticed it right away. The assist kicks on and off frequently and jerkily. As opposed to my CrossCurrent, which makes you feel like you're riding a bike, just with superpowers, the Dash felt like riding a bike equipped with a poorly responsive motor (like stepping on the gas pedal and suddenly getting powerful acceleration a half second later). It reminded me of the ebike I tried 4 years ago that convince me I should hold off on getting one. I suppose that's why the 2017 Dash has a new motor brand and the 2016 model is half off. And I now see why Court makes a big deal about shift sensing in his reviews... very easy to mash gears. Seems that I'll take a hub motor any day over a lower grade mid-drive.

I suppose I shouldn't be too critical. It's got all the extras I wanted, it's fast, and it'll be a fine commuter. But it's just not as fun or active feeling, and that makes a difference to me when spending a decent chunk of your waking time riding it.

I'm going to try to return it. If I can, I'll instead buy the cherry red CrossCurrent my 5 year old son had been insisting she get. It ain't that hard to add fenders, a rack, and USB rechargeable lights; swapping out a mid-drive system you don't like isn't so easy.

I'd love to get people's thoughts on a 2016 IZIP Dash (on sale for $1999) vs a Surface 604 Colt ($1899) for a hill-infested, bumpy, on-road, 6-mile (usually hot, humid) commute. I like that both bikes have integrated fenders, rack, lights, front suspension, and hydraulic disk brakes.

The 28 mph (Dash) vs 20 (Colt) is not a huge consideration... nice to have but not essential. I like that both have torque sensors, but the Dash sounds like it responds more to cadence and assist is a bit delayed. Battery capacity is a bit larger on the Colt. Not sure if the Dash mid-drive motor is functionally much better than the Colt rear hub. I know the torque is better, but I don't know that torque is my biggest concern.

Biggest concern is that I'm in Atlanta, with no bike dealers that carry either brand. Only available are Easy Motion (too expensive) and Pedego (no torque sensors, other issues). Any thoughts on reliability of Dash or Colt, since the nearest dealer will be at least 2 hrs away?

Thanks!
We are a Surface604 dealer and the quality for the dollar is amazing. Well built eBikes.

The assist kicks on and off frequently and jerkily. As opposed to my CrossCurrent, which makes you feel like you're riding a bike, just with superpowers, the Dash felt like riding a bike equipped with a poorly responsive motor (like stepping on the gas pedal and suddenly getting powerful acceleration a half second later).

I can relate to that experience. I got a 2015 Tekoa which has the same mid drive as the 2016 Dash. Coming from the old 2015 Dash that has direct drive rear hub motor, the mid drive felt less refined, very jerky, and harsh on the drive train esp on shifting. I later learned to adapt to it and added magnets to the left brake lever to make it more responsive at the slightest tap in order to cut off the motor on shifting (like using a clutch on a dirt bike).

After I got acquainted to it, I later appreciated the positive sides (better battery mileage, better climber, more balanced weight distribution, lighter overall weight, etc)

So no returns on IZIP sale bikes... rats.

Thanks for the advice, Mark. I'm sure we'll get used to the motor. I thought this bike already had motor inhibitors on the brakes, but seems like not. I'll look into what you said. It could use a clutch.

And thanks 86. We'll look more into Surface products for next time.

Bummer, Jax. I've been pretty happy with my '16 Dash. It took me a few miles to learn how to pause while shifting, but she's smooth sailing now. I can commute faster and more often than even before I broke my hip. Are you going to sell it and buy something else?

After a week or two riding the Dash, I've come to appreciate some of its strengths. The mid-drive motor is much more efficient and more powerful up hills than my other bike with the hub motor, despite similar nominal wattage. The integrated lights and rack are nice too. Its plenty zippy. And I've gotten used to the shifting, as you guys suggested. It's counterintuitive to stop pedaling for a full second before shifting, but it's not that bad.

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like the feel of the cadence sensor and she feels the motor makes her go faster than she wants to go, even on low assist. I'll probably keep it around for a while in case she gets used to it and as a backup bike for my commute for days when I want an easier ride. It's actually not a bad bike, I just prefer a torque sensor.

Now the 2017 Peak+ and the similar Bulls model that both have the Bosch mid-drive look awesome, even if they top out at 20 mph.

Back