ISO Electric bike for Dad

zwigstrom

I am here because my dad is looking for an ebike. I am still with the pedal bike. He is 70 years old and is looking for a bike for comfort to keep up with the grandkids in campgrounds, etc. He has a budget of around $1000. I have no idea what to tell him and he has asked me to help him. I don't want him to go and buy crap and it die on him in 6 months. I really need some advice. Thanks ahead of time.

Take your dad to a few local bike shops that sell ebikes and let him try a few. That will help you narrow your search to the size, style and features your dad needs. With your budget of $1000, it will be difficult to find a quality ebike in my opinion. If you can raise that to the $1500 to $2000 range, it will open up some choices. For example, the Electra Townie Go is a popular ebike that is available in this price range.

One thing to think about is whether your dad wants a step thru frame or a traditional "mens" style bike with the top bar. As a 72 year old, I have found the step through frame to be much easier and safer to mount and dismount. In our generation, these were called "girls" bikes, but that convention no longer holds and many older men ebike riders ride step thru bikes.

Last edited:
If you go to local bike shops, ask about any possible "model year" discounted bikes. Many bike shops still have some 2018 models in stock that they may be willing to discount.

Step-through ebike for a grand you can buy from and service at a local bike shop are few and far between, the Aventon Pace 350 is maybe the only $1,000 ebike I can think of you can buy from a bike shop, otherwise as @AlanDB pointed out you might suggest raising his budget to $1500 so he can go to a Trek dealer and test ride the Electra Townie Go! 7D.

If you go mail order you'll need to ask around to find a bike shop prepared to service the bicycle components and for warranty support on the electrics you'll have to pay a shop to work on it and order the parts remotely from the retailer, also you'll need to read the sales agreement carefully to determine if they will accept returns and who pays for assembly/disassembly and shipping as you'll be unable to test ride the bikes beforehand. If you decide to go that route here are a few step-through budget mail-order ebikes available new for around a grand:
- Bikesdirect.com Mango eKeys7, these cruiser ebikes have the same type of feet forward riding position, geared hub motor, and 7-speed gearing, as the Electra Townie Go! 7D, but for $400 less.
- Refurbished Genze E100 series, resold from the manufacturer website, the battery is small but a replacement pack is cheap, uses a geared hub motor with cadence pedal assist and a throttle, however all sales are final on the refub bikes so you can't return it.
- Swagtron EB10, a budget priced cruiser with rim brakes but more comfortable wider tires than their other budget ebikes, top speed from the geared hub motor is 15mph but Micah Toll gave it a favorable review.
- Schwinn EC1 from Walmart.com, similar to the Swagtron EB10 but $100 cheaper, equipped with disk brakes, and Walmart take returns if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Back