Isn't it ironic

Oldbkr

Being a strong supporter of bike trails for many years by donating, volunteering and joining. I find it so ironic that now I am not able to use the trails I helped support. I've read the posts that advise to ride responsibly and there won't likely be a problem. It just irks me that as a person who needs pedal assistance I can't ride on safe trails away from traffic. I hope People for Bikes has national success in getting low power e-bikes on all trails.

It is ironic, and unfortunate too. I'm in a similar situation and have decided to ride responsible and courteous and ride the trails anyway. I've chosen relatively "stealth" peddle assist only emtbs. I know I am not hurting anyone else and causing damage to the trails. Since I'm retired I mostly stay off on the busy weekends. So far so good, and every once in a while I will get a comment; "is that an ebike?" or "I didn't know ebikes where allowed?" and usually I stop and tell them all about it. Only encounter that wasn't turned into a positive was by someone with multiple dogs running off-leash in an area with signage prohibiting it, whereas I had the nebulous "no motorized vehicles". I believe it is just taking time in the US for land use policy makers to realized that peddle assist ebikes are exactly that.

However, if I ever encounter a law enforcement official that actually gives me a citation I am prepared to go to court and plead my case, and pay the fine if that what happens. I think that risk is pretty low. I'm not going to stop enjoying one of my favorite things in life especially when I know I am not hurting a soul or a thing just because bureaucratic public land use managers are making uninformed arbitrary decisions.

I'm 55 and Lyme Disease knocked me off my MTB's saddle a few years ago, but pedal assist got me back on. I now ride twice as much as I ever did on my old Stumpjumper, and weigh less than I did at age 35!

So far I've been lucky in that my local Park Rangers agree that my eMTBs are bicycles, not motorcycles, and let me ride them anywhere MTBs are allowed. But the local MTB association has been actively lobbying against ebikes on public land in my region, and I half-expect my "permission" to change any day now.

If/when that happens, they'll probably say I can ride with ATVs and motocross bikes (and breathe their exhaust). The nearest ATV-legal park is an hour's drive, while here in my "backyard" there are 150+ miles of interwoven trails, at least a third of which are flowing-but-hilly singletrack, which is my favorite stuff to ride now that climbing is FUN.

In effort to avoid MTBer scrutiny here, I mostly ride on weekdays like @Alphbetadog. I'm not retired, but am self-employed and much of my work can be done eves & wknds. Should my local access change, however, my doc says he'll write me a "note" proclaiming my Lyme as a disability and pedal assist as a reasonable accommodation.

A same-age friend who bought one of my old eMTBs says, "Age is a disability!" I tend to agree, and think that pretty much anyone in the AARP bracket has some condition(s) that would qualify. Potential court battles aside, I say talk to your docs too, and get a note to show any "no ebikes" enforcers (and land managers).

Eventually I expect that enough "hard-core" MTBers will hit our age group and bring more acceptance of pedal assistance onto US trails, but for now we can -and should - use whatever legitimate tactics are at our disposal.

I think that if you are polite, discreet, and don't try to pick a fight you'll be just fine.

You need to know the local and state regulations with respect to e-bikes, and I'd recommend taking a printed copy of the relevant regulations with you. Chances are you'll know the regulations better than most county sheriffs. So far i have had two encounters in Washington State where law enforcement officers asked me about my e-bike and I explained to them my understanding of the relevant law. They both nodded and let me ride on.

On public lands, you need to have a fine awareness of which agency is managing said public lands. On National Park lands in general bicycles of any kind are rarely allowed on trails, in season at least there are plenty of commissioned law enforcement officers which can ticket you, and in general I think trying to ride your e-bike on trails in National Parks is asking for trouble.

Forest Service lands (and to a similar extent BLM land and state-managed land) are generally a different situation. On federal lands typically only commissioned federal law enforcement officers can ticket you -- and those are very thin on the ground in most national forests (where i live there is exactly one USFS law enforcement ranger for around two million acres of forest land -- you've got to love those odds). Again, if you are discreet and polite and not too blatant you won't have a problem.

I've found that many of the very best mountain biking trails on USFS and DNR (Washington State) land aren't legal or official trails at all -- they are abandoned roads that some group of mountain bikers discreetly maintain as a trail. Since they aren't legally official trails and the groups maintaining those trails aren't authorized by the USFS or DNR to maintain those trails nobody can stop you, legally, from riding your e-bike on those trails. Finding those 'trails' can be a bit of a challenge, but I find a little bit of map-reading, getting public announcements of which roads are officially closed, and a bit of discreet snooping around in the forest can let you figure that out and break the code.

Being a strong supporter of bike trails for many years by donating, volunteering and joining. I find it so ironic that now I am not able to use the trails I helped support. I've read the posts that advise to ride responsibly and there won't likely be a problem. It just irks me that as a person who needs pedal assistance I can't ride on safe trails away from traffic. I hope People for Bikes has national success in getting low power e-bikes on all trails.

Yes and more frustrating when I see riders of human powered bikes behaving badly on trails or greenways. I'm often the slow cautious guy on my e-bike, knowing I might be illegal, on our riverfront trail where families with kids walk. The kids are like squirrels darting around in their excitement. And often I am passed by fellows (always male and usually young) on regular bikes weaving their way in and out of the families. Often startling the people they pass. These experiences have convinced me even more that it is the rider behavior and not the bike. Out of fear of being singled-out (and just not wanting to be a jerk), I am usually the slowest and most cautious cyclist on the trails.

You knw...you have a point there...Not to mention the peds you freak out even with a bell notice:)

It is ironic, and unfortunate too. I'm in a similar situation and have decided to ride responsible and courteous and ride the trails anyway. I've chosen relatively "stealth" peddle assist only emtbs. I know I am not hurting anyone else and causing damage to the trails. Since I'm retired I mostly stay off on the busy weekends. So far so good, and every once in a while I will get a comment; "is that an ebike?" or "I didn't know ebikes where allowed?" and usually I stop and tell them all about it. Only encounter that wasn't turned into a positive was by someone with multiple dogs running off-leash in an area with signage prohibiting it, whereas I had the nebulous "no motorized vehicles". I believe it is just taking time in the US for land use policy makers to realized that peddle assist ebikes are exactly that.

However, if I ever encounter a law enforcement official that actually gives me a citation I am prepared to go to court and plead my case, and pay the fine if that what happens. I think that risk is pretty low. I'm not going to stop enjoying one of my favorite things in life especially when I know I am not hurting a soul or a thing just because bureaucratic public land use managers are making uninformed arbitrary decisions.

Ok, What am I missing ?? Not being able to ride an e-Bike on a trail ? I've never heard of such a thing . To be clear, a 'trail' to me means rails to trails gravel and or paved version of same...Not single track style. Can someone explain ? I live in CT and 90% of my riding ( over 2k miles ) has been on Rails to Trails, gravel or paved ?

Ok, What am I missing ?? Not being able to ride an e-Bike on a trail ? I've never heard of such a thing . To be clear, a 'trail' to me means rails to trails gravel and or paved version of same...Not single track style. Can someone explain ? I live in CT and 90% of my riding ( over 2k miles ) has been on Rails to Trails, gravel or paved ?

You're probably 100 percent fine. Since CT has passed the model e-bike legislation you can ride your e-bike on any "trail" that has an improved surface (paved, gravel, &c) unless some local ordinance says otherwise. My rule(s) of thumb in WA (which has passed similar legislation) is that if the trail has an improved surface and does not explicitly prohibit e-bikes you are good to go and if the trail does not have an improved surface and does not explicitly allow e-bikes you are out of luck.

The state ordinances don't apply to e-bikes and trails on federal land.

In the state of Washington, e-bikes are allowed on streets, sidewalks, and bike paths, but are NOT allowed on hiking trails in state parks. I think this is what folks are talking about. So, urban/suburban paths are no problem. I think the bike advocacy folks here pushed for the current law (which just passed this year) not seeing it as complete, but seeing it as great progress, and hope to tackle the problem of hiking trails at a later date. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term by saying "hiking trails," but basically I mean recreational trails in the woods and such (state parks), not urban/suburban paths for walkers & cyclists.

In the state of Washington, e-bikes are allowed on streets, sidewalks, and bike paths, but are NOT allowed on hiking trails in state parks. I think this is what folks are talking about. So, urban/suburban paths are no problem. I think the bike advocacy folks here pushed for the current law (which just passed this year) not seeing it as complete, but seeing it as great progress, and hope to tackle the problem of hiking trails at a later date. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term by saying "hiking trails," but basically I mean recreational trails in the woods and such (state parks), not urban/suburban paths for walkers & cyclists.

Amy, Thank you very much for the information. If the restricted trails you're referring to are free form, irregular and going with the 'flow' of the land in which they exist, I respect the decision to exclude bikes of any kind ( and I'm an avid eBiker ) I'm also not a fan of any biking/electric scooters/etc on sidewalks. I was concerned that 'Oldbkr' was referring to the rails to trails etc aka urban/suburban paths and trails in the area where he lives/bikes.

Hi John frm CT....I am referring to rain trails in our area. The listing of No Motor Vehicles does include any thing with a motor at this time. I hope Ohio will become enlightened as have many other states.

Hi John frm CT....I am referring to rain trails in our area. The listing of No Motor Vehicles does include any thing with a motor at this time. I hope Ohio will become enlightened as have many other states.
A low power bike is considered "just a bike" on any path a "bike is allowed" unless you have throttle then it's motorized in IL. We can have up to 1000w before motorized is considered.

This is the precise reason I bought my eMotion Evo ebike. Integrated battery and looks that don't scream Look at me, I am an ebike!" I love trail riding and keeping it "stealth" and riding slower around people, make me able to ride any trail I want.

>snip< I'm also not a fan of any biking/electric scooters/etc on sidewalks. >snip<

I'm very grateful to be allowed to cycle on sidewalks. I was surprised that laws have changed in this regard, but since I started riding again the change makes good sense to me. Urban streets that lack bike lanes or shoulders for riding are dangerous for everyone unless there is very little traffic AND enough room for cars to go around the bicycles. In the busy downtowns near me , while there are streets that have room for bikes, or that lack such space but are little traveled enough that taking a whole lane makes sense, there are other streets that have lots of cars and absolutely no room for bikes, where taking the whole lane approach would mean holding up traffic. Personally, I hate to annoy drivers, as annoyed drivers can behave in a very unsafe manner. Sometimes the sidewalk is the safest place for a bicycle. Those would be the times that I choose the sidewalk. It isn't often, but I'm grateful that it's a legal option. It makes sense to me that we both share the road and share the sidewalk.

In Ohio
House Bill 250 passed the house 90-0 so now the bill is in the Senate Transportation Committee. If you live in Ohio call your senators, voice your support, and request that they bring the bill out of committee and put it up for a vote.

Use this link http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/district-map to find your state senator with your street address.

House bill 250 excludes electric bicycles from being classified as motorized bicycles or mopeds and allows them to be used on bike paths and bike trails.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-status?id=GA132-HB-250

Back