Is this real?

Vin

Hello all,
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2015 ST2. The bike’s odometer reads 142 miles which seems low for 4 year-old bike. Is this real? Can the bike accumulate more than that without registering on the electronic odometer? Can the odometer data be edited or tampered with?
Finally I was about to buy a Juiced CCX for long commutes and want a bike that will sustain 25mph easily. I saw this Stromer ST2 for $2500. For those who have driven both bikes, How does the Stromer compare to CCX when it comes to power for acceleration, “torquiness” and maintaining higher speed with reasonable cadence.
Thanks for your help.

Can the bike accumulate more than that without registering on the electronic odometer?

Nope.
Can the odometer data be edited or tampered with?

ST2 comes with OMNI that has digital connectivity and all readings are digitally stored and this can not be changed unless you change the OMNI unit itself.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2015 ST2. The bike’s odometer reads 142 miles which seems low for 4 year-old bike. Is this real?

I believe you are referring the ST2 listed here (Visalia)

Get that bike and have New wheel perform service for you. The bike has much higher build quality than CCX and with the service of New Wheel, it will last 25,000 miles or more.
they are very good folks. They have service memberships and see if you can get them or at least have them do a tune up.

thanks, Ravi!
Actually the bike I was referring to wasn’t this one. But I will look at the one you referred to instead. SF is just an hour from me.

You can very closely inspect the ebike downtube and axles, drivetrain.
Should be fairly easy to spot dmall sctrages and wear.

A used OMNI is 90-100$, can be easily changed and make the ebike appear mint since it shows low mileage.
The same is true for all ebikes.
Take the display out ,put new one and low mileage!!

Just as an FYI -- while I don't have a Stromer, I did manage, completely by accident (and not even remotely sure how I did it) to reset my bike's Master Odometer. (I routinely reset the trip odometer after every ride.) Never in 18 months of biking with it, had I ever done anything that affected the master odo (nor would I expect I could reset it, actually...) -- I wrote to the manufacturer, and they wrote to their supplier of the control interface -- nobody came up with what steps I could have magically stumbled upon, to cause a master odo reset like this.
(Sadly, the master odo was up to about 6,200 miles -- I was very much looking forward to seeing 9,999 next summer -- now that will be 2 more years away, as I went back to zero!)
So - just a heads-up... electronics can be fickle ;)

Thank you.
The bike that Ravi pointed me to is from a very reliable seller. 300+ miles. She agreed to sell it for $2000. Picking it up tomorrow! Ravi, any hints and tips? Are there codes to tinker around with like the ST1? Plan to pick up Brooks saddle and Kinekt post. Can’t wait.

I had my Omni replaced, the shop did not set the mileage , i lost 12k of miles. you could nt tell that it had 20k when it read 8K, too hard to tell the difference between a bike with with 8 or 20 both alook pretty worn in many places. be careful

A used OMNI is 90-100$, can be easily changed and make the ebike appear mint since it shows low mileage.
The same is true for all ebikes.
Take the display out ,put new one and low mileage!!

There is a huge difference between a ordinary e-bike and a Stromer:

All date are stored at the Stromer servers. Even if you fully wipe the memory of the OMNI, the old values will come back. Only Stromer itself or an authorized dealer have access to the backend. Furthermore, with the OMNI app on your phone, you can check the mileage-history listed by day, month and year.

The data on the Stromer servers contains the not only VIN, but also the serials of the SIM card, the lighting, the motor and the battery. This combination makes it easy to identify a Stromer and its components, e.g. a stolen battery. Stromer can push updates to each bike individually - and block the bike everywhere, if necessary.

The Stromer OMNI display: Professionally integrated into the top tube:

1571695475987.png

Typical solution on an ordinary e-bike: Chunky display mounted on the handlebar:

1571695571614.png

This Stromer ebikes they have so many issues b:c of their proprietary builds , i can bet that you won’t see them anylonger for sale in the Us in the foreseeable future.
Talk with the bike shop owners and hear their headaches.

Out of all ebikes , you choosed the best , most reliable one to show a display😬 ? You know i like Bh ...
At least theirs is only 80$ to replace . Hopefully integrated soon.

But , if someone doesn’t know about the technicality of the Omni display, he it she can be foooled with a new display.

Are you saying that a new display will automatically pull the data from their servers ??

I don’t think it’s possible. Let me reread your post.

ps-nice post, i like the Omni but the ebike itself is unreliable !

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between a ordinary e-bike and a Stromer:

All date are stored at the Stromer servers. Even if you fully wipe the memory of the OMNI, the old values will come back. Only Stromer itself or an authorized dealer have access to the backend. Furthermore, with the OMNI app on your phone, you can check the mileage-history listed by day, month and year.

The data on the Stromer servers contains the not only VIN, but also the serials of the SIM card, the lighting, the motor and the battery. This combination makes it easy to identify a Stromer and its components, e.g. a stolen battery. Stromer can push updates to each bike individually - and block the bike everywhere, if necessary.

The Stromer OMNI display: Professionally integrated into the top tube:

View attachment 40318

Typical solution on an ordinary e-bike: Chunky display mounted on the handlebar:

View attachment 40319

You lose the argument the instant you have to put one brand down to elevate another. An ebike brand will succeed from it's own record. Of the 2 bikes pictured, both brands having industry leading warranties, but will break outside of coverage. Which display will cost more to repair? Which could be replaced by the owner?

I don't get into the arguments of which brand is better than another. One cannot win, there are only losers in that game. Praise your brand. Hopefully the positives outweigh the negatives.

I know you have some connection with Stromer, I've usually enjoyed your posts and thought they were informative. As an owner of a BH, and as someone who never put down a Stromer, your viewpoints now carry less weight for me. You won't gain customers by putting down the bikes people paid for, with their hard earned money.

The bike’s odometer reads 142 miles which seems low for 4 year-old bike. Is this real? Can the bike accumulate more than that without registering on the electronic odometer? Can the odometer data be edited or tampered with?

@Ravi Kempaiah and @bluecat had explained this in detail. Rely on it.

As the ST2 is from 2015, the battery might be - depending on the longtime storage conditions - suffering from reduced capacity. Furthermore, the interface will only support 2G network data transmission. Depending on you plans of use for the ST2, these two points can be neglected - or not.

@the sceptics: Indeed, there is no "best e-bike"; leisure, commuting, hills and mountains vs plains, payload or not... Every need has it's best e-bike. What Stromer does is integration of state-of-the-art technology into a e-bike. IOT, anti-theft, keyless, M99pro, scalable motorbrake, USB port, Pirelli motorcycle tires and so on. If you believe, these things make you happy, you will say: The Stromer is the best. If you're convinced, this things are useless bling-bling, you'll find another brand to be the best.

Ravi, any hints and tips?

Awesome. Glad it worked out for you.
Since the bike was purchased at New Wheel, have them transfer the ownership to you, do a tune-up and install any items such as Kinect, new tires, mirror, brake pads etc.
Check the status of the battery. The service department at New wheel is one of the best and give them your business and in turn, you will have a bike that will be very enjoyable to ride and last a really long time.

Back