Is this a problem with my Haibike or is it me?

drm1125

I just bought a 2018 Haibike XDURO trekking S low-step, before I take it in to the store I bought it from- I want to know if something is wrong or if it's me not knowing much about e-bikes. I've ridden it 4-5 times. I live on a pretty steep hill and have to go up the hill at the end of each ride. Every time I go up that hill, my bike/motor starts feeling like it's hesitating, slipping/skipping? It feels like it's trying to change gears or give more power. It also feels kind of like it's going to take off on me.Any ideas?

You are downshifting before going up the hill, yes? They don’t shift for themselves... you’ve got to be spinning the pedals a bit to give the motor something to multiply. Sounds like it’s just a matter of getting used to it from here. Try it with a nice comfortable cadence and as you feel the effort, drop down another gear.

Forgive me if I am oversimplifying this... no condescension intended!

I'm usually already like half way up the hill and already downshifted to lowest gear, yesterday I was almost to the top of the hill when it started. I have to say, it's a bit scary, and I can't tell if there's something wrong with the bike or it's me.

What mode are you in? On my Trekking, I usually push it to Turbo mode for the steeps, but I'm 62 with bad knees.

I've not experienced your symptoms on mine, but it isn't an S. Sounds like it may be time for a call to your shop, before you take it back in.

I'm in turbo because it's a very steep hill.
If it is slipping/skipping, it may be as simple as adjusting the derailleur as the chain may be slightly off center on the gear. Cause under heavy load (like climbing a very steep hill) that could happen.

Maybe your derailleur hanger is bent a bit. By your question you kind of sound like new to riding a bike? I suggest you read your manuals and practice the basics on easy close to flat areas away from traffic. A small adjustment by the shop might fix your situation. If you will regularly deal with steep hills you might want to do like me. I had my 10 S cassette replaced from an 11-36 for an 11-42. Many Ebikes are more geared for flat than hills.

I had a chain skipping on a brand new Trekking 6.0 because of a stiff chain link. Shop sorted that one out. In their words, the chain was badly assembled in the factory...

Kind of an E-bike newbie here myself too...but I noticed the same thing on multiple bikes that I tried. I did end up buying one and was feeling it too, but I think I've wrapped my head around it.

The motor is either cadence-sensing or torque-sensing (or both). If you stop, even for a second, there is neither cadence or torque to sense so the motor cuts off. When it stops, it feels almost like it 'jerks' or 'pulls' (when I first felt it, I thought the brake was being mildly applied). But all that's happening is that the motor stops and suddenly without the assistance, the heaviness of the bike with no motor (especially if you are going uphill) suddenly feels like it's pulling BACK.

I think that's what is going on when I felt it...so try to determine if that may be what is happening with you too. Pay VERY CLOSE attention to when it happens. Did you "just" stop pedaling that moment?

I will pay attention next time if I did stop pedaling. I may have because it was close to the top of the hill and I was kind of tired.

Maybe your derailleur hanger is bent a bit. By your question you kind of sound like new to riding a bike? I suggest you read your manuals and practice the basics on easy close to flat areas away from traffic. A small adjustment by the shop might fix your situation. If you will regularly deal with steep hills you might want to do like me. I had my 10 S cassette replaced from an 11-36 for an 11-42. Many Ebikes are more geared for flat than hills.

I'm a person who's always just jumped on a bike and rode, without knowing to much about the bikes or how they work.

I did try to read my manual but it was pretty confusing because it was one of those manuals for multiple bikes. Which makes it hard to know what pertains to my bike and what doesn't.

What is a 10 S cassette and is it expensive?

What is a 10 S cassette and is it expensive?
This is the cassette. It's the bundle of sprockets that is used for the gearing. Not sure what 10s means though...10 speed maybe? (Meaning 10 separate sprockets).

big_388234.jpg

Well i suggest you ask a few pointers from your retailer. You need to know the meaning of some words so you can be specific in your question to receive valuable answers. You can go on you tube and learn some basics. Here is 1 important thing. Look ahead and select the proper gear before you start climbing. Our systems switch gear properly when we are not pushing hard on the pedals. Properly using a bike will save you money on repairs and you will be less likely to be in trouble far from home. Some bike shops offer classes and it is time well invested. Even if they talk repair you can ask questions. You can sell that bike and get a 30$ bike and just pedal, for short distances i did that many years to avoid steeling problems.

hello drm1125
how many gears does your bike have? (i’m guessing 11).
what cassette do you have? (specifically how many teeth are there on the biggest sprocket?).
what brand of derailleur do you have? (the dangly backwards ‘S’ shape thing that hoiks the chain between gears).
there may be a very simple issue of non compatibility of the cassette to the derailleur fitted (by the factory)
i am a professional mechanic and index gears in my sleep, but have recently come across particular bikes that just would not ‘behave’. on further investigation (carefully checking factory specs), it transpired there had been an ill arranged marriage...

My bike seems to be experiencing a similar problem. It seems to skip when pedaling with lots of tension on the chain. I think I'm gonna have to mount a Go-Pro (look alike) back by the sprocket to see what is really happening.

Had a friend look at the bike yesterday that chain was not stretched. However, my bike is an XL and he looked at the derailed and believed the chain should be longer, so we replaced the chain with a chain that is two links longer. In addition, we replaced the cassette with a higher quality cassette (he noticed some old teeth were getting ground up). Rode it up a hill with lots of torque and the skipping is gone!

Does sound like tuning or cassett or chain problem.
A derailleur out of adjustment will 'skip', or at least sound or feel like it.

If it's a new bike take it back to your dealer. Or to a local shop for a tune up.

I've had a similar problem that recurs on my rides.
11 speed S that skips while in certain gears.
I have had it tuned to include aligning the derailleur hanger.
It happens in the middle of the gear cluster, 5th 6th and 7th gears.
The higher and lower gears don't skip during spinning or under load.
The chain is newer and not stretched, second one replaced during the tuneup.
I also have a 10 speed Cx and it does not exhibit this behaviour.
I'm currently a bit stymied and considering another tune up with particular attention to that rear derailleur.
Any other thoughts appreciated.

Back