Is there an inexpensive (but not garbage) e-bike for an 11 year old kid?

mwtada

I am trying to find an e-bike option, for my son. No luck finding anything that is not just garbage, or costs thousands of dollars. I would like to keep the cost under $500-$600, but I don't think there is such a thing.

We have mostly flat roads, around here. But, we have to go down and up a fairly long valley (maybe a half mile, from the top of one side to the top of the other), about 4 times per week. It is no problem for me, on my Trek XM700+. Unfortunately, my son is on a regular bike, and is dying by the time we get to the top of the other side of the valley. I feel terrible for him, and would like to find something to make the trip enjoyable for him, too.

He currently has a full suspension mountain bike type of bike. It isn't anything special (we bought it at Walmart), but he likes it. What it would take (and cost), to convert that to an e-bike? And would that even be a good idea?

$500-$600 is the cost of a decent battery pack. A whole bike for that cost will not be much. You’ll have to look for well used for that cost.

I checked out Sondors, but they all looked like adult sized bikes. However, I just spoke with the customer service rep, at Sondors. They said they will be releasing the Fold Mini, in the U.S., in the coming weeks. It is currently listed at $799. My son might be just big enough for that one. He is only 4'11" tall.

I checked out Sondors, but they all looked like adult sized bikes. However, I just spoke with the customer service rep, at Sondors. They said they will be releasing the Fold Mini, in the U.S., in the coming weeks. It is currently listed at $799. My son might be just big enough for that one. He is only 4'11" tall.
Study the whole package with Sondors. They used to only have a 30 day warranty. Also long delivery delay after ordering since they only ordered bikes from China after enough were presold. Only U.S. inventory were surplus units in the container that were not presold. There are still complaints about corporate contact, but most say to use chat function on web site instead of emails. They are the low cost supplier for a reason. There is tremendous owner support on Facebook, no connection to corporate.

Study the whole package with Sondors. They used to only have a 30 day warranty. Also long delivery delay after ordering since they only ordered bikes from China after enough were presold. Only U.S. inventory were surplus units in the container that were not presold. There are still complaints about corporate contact, but most say to use chat function on web site instead of emails. They are the low cost supplier for a reason. There is tremendous owner support on Facebook, no connection to corporate.

Unfortunately, I have found lack of inventory and long delays to be a common problem, with e-bikes (at least direct order). When I was looking into which e-bike I wanted to get, I did a lot of research first. I finally decided the one I wanted was the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. Unfortunately, they were out of stock (of all their bikes), and wouldn't be getting more in, until this month. By the time I would actually receive it though, most of the Summer would be over. I live in hell (aka Illinois), where we have (in my opinion) at least 6 months of Winter. I decided to go with my second choice, a RadBikes RadCity, because they were getting some more in stock, and would get the bike to me, sooner. I signed up for their notification email. They said they were putting them online, at 11AM my time. I remembered to go online at 11:10AM, and they were already sold out. So, I decided to go with what I could definitely find, in stock, at a local bike shop. That is how I ended up buying a Trek XM700+, which cost about $1,000+ more than the Crosscurrent (with the extended battery), and over $1,500 more than the RadCity. But, at least I was able to actually get my e-bike, and ride out with it, that day. Also, if there are any issues, I can just take it to the shop.

Is there any way to get your son a ride on a decent mtb to see if he'd rather ride that up the hill vs his basic mtb weighed down by an innefective motor? You'd be surprised at how much more efficient a decent second hand 5/6 yo mtb can be compared with a cheap overweight poorly suspended bike. More importantly, a lighter bike will help him build skills.

My 11 yo daughter rides my old giant trance ( with shorter stem and cut down seat post) , and my 13 yo daughter rides my old norco optic , they're not far behind me when I'm aboard my giant full e , and I can always turn the power off if I'm feeling guilty ( or swap bikes if they need a break - it's easy to just pump up the air forks / shocks to asjust between rider weight) . This is them aboard the full e

Attachments

• B577C19C-6127-4ADC-89FD-93D2CA7F72C3.jpeg
    B577C19C-6127-4ADC-89FD-93D2CA7F72C3.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 576
  • A8DFE566-9549-40D3-88EE-5C544D7850BC.jpeg
    A8DFE566-9549-40D3-88EE-5C544D7850BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 584
Unfortunately, I have found lack of inventory and long delays to be a common problem, with e-bikes (at least direct order). When I was looking into which e-bike I wanted to get, I did a lot of research first. I finally decided the one I wanted was the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. Unfortunately, they were out of stock (of all their bikes), and wouldn't be getting more in, until this month. By the time I would actually receive it though, most of the Summer would be over. I live in hell (aka Illinois), where we have (in my opinion) at least 6 months of Winter. I decided to go with my second choice, a RadBikes RadCity, because they were getting some more in stock, and would get the bike to me, sooner. I signed up for their notification email. They said they were putting them online, at 11AM my time. I remembered to go online at 11:10AM, and they were already sold out. So, I decided to go with what I could definitely find, in stock, at a local bike shop. That is how I ended up buying a Trek XM700+, which cost about $1,000+ more than the Crosscurrent (with the extended battery), and over $1,500 more than the RadCity. But, at least I was able to actually get my e-bike, and ride out with it, that day. Also, if there are any issues, I can just take it to the shop.
I live in Peoria, IL and ride year round. Just less in the winter. Went single trail riding this past winter when it was 20 degrees out. You just need the right clothes.

Is there any way to get your son a ride on a decent mtb to see if he'd rather ride that up the hill vs his basic mtb weighed down by an innefective motor? You'd be surprised at how much more efficient a decent second hand 5/6 yo mtb can be compared with a cheap overweight poorly suspended bike. More importantly, a lighter bike will help him build skills.

My 11 yo daughter rides my old giant trance ( with shorter stem and cut down seat post) , and my 13 yo daughter rides my old norco optic , they're not far behind me when I'm aboard my giant full e , and I can always turn the power off if I'm feeling guilty ( or swap bikes if they need a break - it's easy to just pump up the air forks / shocks to asjust between rider weight) . This is them aboard the full e

Great pics! Kind of reminds me of the trails I used to ride, in the woods behind my house, when I was a kid. We actually had this awesome area, with all kinds of crazy valleys and jumps. It's actually kind of amazing nobody died, or was badly injured, thinking back on it.

The main problem, with the incline here, is that it is rather long and steep. He just can't make it up (right now). I'm sure he would love to ride my e-bike, if he could get on it. I would probably never get it back! Unfortunately, it is huge. If it were any bigger, I couldn't ride it. Definitely the biggest bike I have ever had. But, it supposedly is the correct size for my body. I guess I was just never bothered by smaller bikes.

I live in Peoria, IL and ride year round. Just less in the winter. Went single trail riding this past winter when it was 20 degrees out. You just need the right clothes.

Brrrr! I don't even want to go outside, when it is that cold, bundled up or not. But, I have always lived in warm places, before I moved here.

I can't speak for the particular hill situation, but when I got married my husband had a much better bike than I did. I dragged around after him. At some point, suggested I get a better bike. Wow! It made quite a difference not to be dragging around that heavy old bike. Having more gears and a lighter bike was very helpful. :)

Great pics! Kind of reminds me of the trails I used to ride, in the woods behind my house, when I was a kid. We actually had this awesome area, with all kinds of crazy valleys and jumps. It's actually kind of amazing nobody died, or was badly injured, thinking back on it.

The main problem, with the incline here, is that it is rather long and steep. He just can't make it up (right now). I'm sure he would love to ride my e-bike, if he could get on it. I would probably never get it back! Unfortunately, it is huge. If it were any bigger, I couldn't ride it. Definitely the biggest bike I have ever had. But, it supposedly is the correct size for my body. I guess I was just never bothered by smaller bikes.

Think back to when you were a kid, at 11 those hills seemed huge but by 12/13 they were easy? An 11 yo has the cardiovascular potential just waiting to be acticated and provide the foundations for an active life....don't cheat him out of that by showing the easy path. I have a 9 yo boy who struggles with the more challenging terrain, so we ride slower together / stick to the easy / intermediate rides and each trip he gets a little stronger / more confident ( at least each trip that he returns with skin intact...) . Maybe walk beside him when he runs out of steam, or stop and have a chat?

I am trying to find an e-bike option, for my son. No luck finding anything that is not just garbage, or costs thousands of dollars. I would like to keep the cost under $500-$600, but I don't think there is such a thing.

We have mostly flat roads, around here. But, we have to go down and up a fairly long valley (maybe a half mile, from the top of one side to the top of the other), about 4 times per week. It is no problem for me, on my Trek XM700+. Unfortunately, my son is on a regular bike, and is dying by the time we get to the top of the other side of the valley. I feel terrible for him, and would like to find something to make the trip enjoyable for him, too.

He currently has a full suspension mountain bike type of bike. It isn't anything special (we bought it at Walmart), but he likes it. What it would take (and cost), to convert that to an e-bike? And would that even be a good idea?

@vincent has a very nice folding Ebike that she wants to sell. It's prodeco mariner, 20 inch wheels, hydraulic brakes, decent assistance for someone under 150lbs. I'm sure she will be happy to see your kid make use of it. May be worth contacting her.

Back