Is there a anti flat tire for Rad Rover.

Shawnski

I need a new tire for my Rad Rover , any reccomendations for a new tire , anti flat or something that can stand up to road debris..
THANK YOU

Bike-On liquid does it for me. Rad Rover tire users will be answering you soon...there are a lot of them, it seems.

I work commute about 50-70 miles per work on my rover for the last +2 years and I about 90%-95% of my flats are from road debris. Every bit of trash gets pushed into the bike lanes on the share the road routes. If I hear tick-tick-tick from the tire, I know I have another screw in my tire and I need Stans to work 4 more miles so I can get to work at 6am.

The standard Kenda tires are not flat resistant and really thin between the knobbies. I added Mr. Tuffy liners along with two 2-oz bottles of Stans tire sealant per tire. That combo helped reduce small flats from cactus thorns and goatheads. I still had flats from road debris like glass, broken auto parts from accidents, and screws. Road debris make holes too large for Stans to fill and long screws stuck in the tire tend to put 1-3 extra holes (sometimes rips) in the tube as the tire deflates. Just got into the habit of carrying a tube flat kit, tire repair kit, and extra tube.

I don't think anti-flat fat tires or tubes are on the market yet for fat bikes. Best bet is to go for an upgraded tires that may add a layer of extra protection. I upgraded to Vee8 120 tpi 26X4 tires and they have 5X the knobbies to add additional thickness for smaller flats (along with Mr. Tuffy+Stans). I still get road debris flats; but, thorn flats are down to almost nothing.

Shawnski ...
I have found Panaracer Flat-Away tyre liners to be effective in preventing punctures. These liners are made of aramid felt (a synthetic fibre usually associated with body armour). One side of the liner is adhesive-coated (covered by peel-off paper) to allow the liner to be attached to the inside of the tyre.

Whether sticking the Flat-Away liner onto the inside of your tyre is less or more frustrating than coaxing a Mr Tuffy (or friends) into place is debatable. Once fitted, I think the Flat-Away is superior; it doesn't just add space between the tube and unwanted intruders; the baddies cannot get through it at all (but I still use Slime because I'm not thoroughly convinced by my own rhetoric).

Downside (almost certainly relevant for your tyres): the widest Flat-Away liner is 40 mm. They are not cheap, either. Compared with Mr Tuffy, you get one for the price of two - and you might need to use two per tyre.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running origin8 Supercells and have had no flats. had problems.

BylTWt2.jpg

My old Kenda's were (I think) 30 tpi and my Vee8 are 120 tpi. They seem to get flats from road debris (screws, glass, etc...) about the same.

The Kenda were extremely stiff, noisy, rear tire wore out in under 1000 miles, had a higher rolling resistance; but, did a better job a lower double/single digit PSI. The Vee8 are very flexible, less weight, less rolling resistance for faster acceleration, had a higher top speed, and slight bump in battery range. The Vee8 had a lot of tq steer and lower PSI below 15 (keep them at 20-22 PSI).

I have a Transeo GT XL 700X40C commuter pedal bike I used before the rover (Mr. Tuffy+Stans). I NEVER got a flat in the 4 years I've owned this bike riding the exact same routes. I didn't even own a flat repair kit or tire tools until I purchased my Radrovers in 2016. I think it really comes down to the fat tire manufactures haven't put the tech into fat tires or tubes to resist flat like they have with thinner tires.

I've only seen 5-6 fat tire bikes in the last 5 years in a city and surround area of under 1 million folks.

Agreed on the Origin8 Supercell. It's not anti-flat, but it's an excellent choice for a street tire. Only 1 flat in 400 miles due to a very hardy kiawe thorn that just pricked the tube. I didn't lose any pressure until I removed the thorn from the tire. Had I put Slime or other tire sealant in the tube beforehand it wouldn't have been a problem.

Now, VeeTire just came out with a new street tire called the Zig Zag. They also have the Speedster, which has gotten some mention on EBR. It comes in 26x3.5 which will mount just fine.

Back