Is The Law going to ruin this too??

Jerry LM

I am 76 now and still physically fit for my age and have always liked cycling however in the past 15 years or so have not done much other than neighborhood rides occasionally . I used to when working ride my bike 30 miles a day round trip commute on country roads mainly. The last two miles were city roads but the rest I seldom saw a car as we lived 14 miles out of town.
Now I find myself considering a bike for pleasure rides and running to the store etc. I didn't even know e bikes existed until about a year ago and I don't recall ever seeing one on the road, course I probably wouldn't notice. Now that I am interested due to reading reviews and watching videos etc. I watch for them and still have not seen one on the road.
I live in a small coastal town so traffic during the summer months is heavy due to tourists visiting our town, and since we have one of the largest open sand dunes in the country it draws tons of ATV people. But in the off months traffic is very light here and I have miles of ocean front or back roads to ride.The fact that I am a official Old F---t means I am vulnerable to overdoing it on a long ride in rural areas , so I figure the e bike may indeed be the solution. Less stress and the ability to coast on throttle to rest up now and then.
So I have been really spending time researching and trying to decide on a bike, and in doing so keep seeing articles, about the Law and class of bikes etc. Even though I have read tons I am still not real clear on the issues. Where I am at in Or. I understand 20mph is tops on throttle, but it doesn't really designate PAS which can take you over that speed as being illegal? I used to exceed 20 mph on my recumbent on a regular basis and never thought about the law coming after me
So can I assume buying a class 3 bike is illegal??? We don't have much in the way of bike paths around here only bike lanes on the roads so I would assume the road speed limit would also apply to the bike? If it's 25 mph for a car shouldn't it apply to the bike?
I am hoping that these legislatures who seldom know anything about what it is they want to regulate bikes or otherwise, are not going to screw this up as they have many other activities. If they see a way to get money they will come up with something.
I have never seen a bicycle pulled over around here and I wonder if traffic enforcement officers would even know or care about a bike traveling along in the bike lane that may exceed 20 mph?
The furthest thing from my mind when I started looking at these bikes was regulation, I thought they were just a great idea that would make it possible for more of us folks to get out there and have fun. If I need to worry about laws and confusing regulations that seem unmanageable I don't know if I want to buy one. What if someone has a class 3 bike now they can't ride it? They sell them here so are the stores breaking the law??? this is to me very confusing,,,,course I am getting older but make it easy to understand and universal!

Laws grow to reflect societies expectations. If throttle assist laws are challenged in courtrooms by respectable citizens relying on their ebikes for health reasons, those laws will evolve VERY differently to if they are challenged by irresponsible adrenaline junkies pushing the limits for personal gratification.

So please get out there and enjoy so we the adrenaline junkies can benefit. ;)

You're okay in Oregon on a class 3 ebike according to state law. Local municipalities may have rules against using them on shared use paths and sidewalks, but you should be fine on the roads and bike lanes. Use of bike paths in national forrests appears to be up in the air at the moment.
And yes, eventually the law will see our fun and squash/tax it to death, so get out in the wind now.

Last edited:
If you can, get yourself to stores that sell ebikes. Trying them out will help you figure out what works best for you. You may find that you don’t have a desire to go as fast as you used to. My bike goes up to 25 miles an hour with the assist (it predates ebike laws in my state), but I almost never go above 20. That is, unless I am going down a hill, when I might hit 24 or so.

If you can, get yourself to stores that sell ebikes. Trying them out will help you figure out what works best for you. You may find that you don’t have a desire to go as fast as you used to. My bike goes up to 25 miles an hour with the assist (it predates ebike laws in my state), but I almost never go above 20. That is, unless I am going down a hill, when I might hit 24 or so.

Which is fast enough for almost everyone.

It certainly is for me. I like to be able to keep an eye on pavement quality, as well as look out for other obstacles, and attend to what's behind me--on narrow roads, I'm always glad to get off the road at a safe spot to let the car or cars stacked behind me to pass. Riding 15-18 mph is my norm, and allows me the time to attend what I need to attend to to keep myself as safe as possible, methinks.

I think the ebike laws that have been being passed recently with 3 classes of ebikes are helpful, because they have gotten ebikes regulated as bicycles, which is good for everyone. I think that faster ebikes would be just fine, but they won't be accepted to be regulated as bicycles until there are more ebikes out there and folks can see that ebikers aren't just zooming everywhere and tearing up trails and terrorizing folks. I do know that already there are some problems with aggressive ebikers going too fast on shared use trails near me that I hear about. Those folks really can ruin it for everyone. The bulk of ebikers are currently older folks who otherwise would not be cycling at all, as well as people who find that an ebike can replace a car for commuting and errands. For these purposes, the current bike classes work just fine, I think. And, if someone wants to take a class 3 ebike on a trail, even if it is prohibited, but stays nicely within the speed limits of the trail and takes gentle care with pedestrians, no one will notice or have any concerns at all.

There are plenty of laws, but how much enforcement? New York City is the main news grabber for confiscating bikes. Here in the Midwest, I’m confident that the police know as much about eBikes as you did a couple years ago. I’m certain they know about the step child of powered cycling, the two stroke gas engine bike, as our downtown has dozens of them. Even a favorite of the low income. Never seen one pulled over. Now Class 3 eBikes? I’ve only seen one other in 2 1/2 years. I’m not concerned about the laws one little bit.

I am 76 now and still physically fit for my age... I thought they (ebikes) were just a great idea that would make it possible for more of us folks to get out there and have fun.
Jerry ...
Do you remember the Beatles' hit When I'm Sixty-Four? Just get yourself that ebike and you'll be sixty-four again.

Your new ebike will take a dozen years off your age this year, a baker's dozen next year, and so on... sixty-four forever. And it won't just be Sunday mornings that you go for a ride. Who could ask for more?

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons I went with a Class II ebike was our local laws in New Mexico treat Class I & II just like regular bikes:
- no helmet (I always wear a helmet)
- can ride streets, sidewalks, trails, paved bike paths
- can ride city parks that also allow bikes/MTB
- can ride opposite direction on one-way streets

Class III bikes can have more local restrictions on bike specific paths or not have the roadway flexibility like a Class I & II because increased speeds. It will be impossible for local law enforcement to tell what type of ebike you have until they clock you doing 28 mph on a bike path with so many types of ebikes out there. You might have to keep your speed at 20 mph or less on bike only paths if you have a Class III ebike.

The wife and I rented rear hub and mid-drive ebikes when on vacations to "try before we buy" when we were looking for one for her (rented in Newport Beach and Santa Barbara). It was a good way to test ride an ebike with some miles on it to see how it feels. She really loved the Radcity Step-Thru Class II for $1500 with throttle for urban riding. The throttle really comes in handy for hilly terrain, starting the ebike on inclines, or getting across intersections in a hurry. I like the Rad Power Bikes products because of their load capacity of 275lbs. Great for adding a front basket and rack bag+panniers if you want to use as a car replacement. I went with the Radrover with 4" fat tires because I trail ride and the fat tires+throttle work perfectly on sand, gravel, or loose dirt.

Thanks for the reply everyone I feel better about it now, was getting paranoid,,I have looked so long for a bike and have come to a almost decision, down to 2, I like the Rad Wagon for practicality and I like the Evelo for the automatic shifting and belt drive and long warranty. I think the Evelo is most likely going to win out. A large price spread between the two like a 100% but their Aurora seems to hit all the marks for what I am looking for. Thanks again!

at 76, you worry about the "law" ? Lol, you're a funny guy. Go buy the ebike, and "flaunt" the law. You deserve it if you've made it that far in life.
P.S. everybody who rode ebikes in NYC, 'flaunted' their stupid 'law', until the mayor HAD to back down. ebikes are here to stay, and the wave of ebikers forthcoming will change any so called laws for the better. Cops don't have time to mess with these bikes. the whole topic is just goofy. A 76 year old riding a bike and getting exercise is a joy to see. The world should be so lucky that people who may have all sorts of physical limitations or other health issues, or maybe no issues and have stayed healthy, can actually get out in the fresh air and ride a bike again.

I have never been stopped for riding an electric bike illegally, even though I have.. Police stopped me once because they wanted to konw what it was.. I let them ride it!

Not to be too ageist, since i'm 61, but I really don't think police are going to be targeting a 76 year old riding an electric bike.. For the simple reason you will most likely be riding very carefully. Why would they bother you?

Jerry ...
Judging by the profile photos in their websites (click names), the Evelo Aurora appears to be decidedly easier to mount than the RadWagon:
  • EV : step-through frame (no top tube); lift your foot to about shin-height;
  • RW : step-over frame (with top tube); lift your foot to about knee-height (awkward).
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree David, I wrote to E today and asked about speed and the answer is the bike can be programed for 25mph which kind of cinches it up for me. I really like the drive train they use. Your right about getting on, I tried a few in a bike shop and I couldn't get my short leg over on a few they are just to big for an old guy. I definitely need the step thru. Getting ready to purchase here pretty quick just going over all again to make sure. I really like the looks of the Aurora as well. Comes 95% assembled as well.

If you're serious about riding in soft sand (snow, mud) - check out Rungu. www.riderungu.com When we compete against ATVs in sand, we usually win (because we're much lighter). We just started partnering with ATV rental companies in Utah and California as an electric alternative. Because they're technically e-bikes, they're legal on the road, too.

Does anyone really think the current ebike regulations are going to stand the test of time? We need human scale transportation far more than we need everyone staying under 20mph on an eBike. I've been writting to many threads on this subject and it seems to me the only people advocating the current "assist limits" are those that never ride faster than 20mph so they think no one should be allowed to ride faster. Not much logic backing that position, but they have strong opinions and don't like being questioned.....

Here's the question that really sends them into overload:

If the speed limit or the ebike's maximum achievable speed can’t be argued as the basis for the assist limit, what is it’s basis?

This is the obvious question given that ebike speed is not limited by the assist speed.

Does anyone really think the current ebike regulations are going to stand the test of time? We need human scale transportation far more than we need everyone staying under 20mph on an eBike. I've been writting to many threads on this subject and it seems to me the only people advocating the current "assist limits" are those that never ride faster than 20mph so they think no one should be allowed to ride faster. Not much logic backing that position, but they have strong opinions and don't like being questioned.....

Here's the question that really sends them into overload:

If the speed limit or the ebike's maximum achievable speed can’t be argued as the basis for the assist limit, what is it’s basis?

This is the obvious question given that ebike speed is not limited by the assist speed.

eBikes are in a category where a license is not required, nor is registration.. So it is low speed electric vehicle.. As such Federal law limits it to 20 mph.. Ebike manufacturers are flouting the Federal law with pedal assist.....

The only way this changes is if Federal law changes, and I bet most eBike owners would NOT like that.. Cause we fly under the radar compared to other motor vehicles, and any changes would actually require more government regulation.

"Does anyone really think the current ebike regulations are going to stand the test of time? "

Yes -- unless ebike riders abuse their current privileges under whatever laws cover them, and then things could get ugly.

In Oregon allows Class 1 ebikes are allowed in bike lanes (with some exceptions in state parks & recreation areas). Class 2 and 3s are prohibited in bike lanes (but not on the street proper). I'm fine with that, and I sure hope it stays that way. What I won't be fine with is a tide of pissed off drivers or non ebike riders who get fed up with what they consider dangerously fast ebikes and push to eliminate ALL ebikes from bike lanes.

No Federal Law states NO SPEED LIMIT on an eBike so long as the rider is actively engaged (ie a pedelec, not by throttle alone). I believe this was signed by Bush Sr. and it's going to be why the state laws are over-ruled by common sense.

If the rider can cadence to 35mph the assist can help to that speed by federal law. I think very few people have cared to assess the federal law. It allows states to regulated usage but not the definition of a legal ebike which is why the manufacturers are making fast pedelecs.

Back