Is it possible to register a radrunner in California to have a passenger?

Freetobe

Hi Team,
I am considering the purchase of an ebike for my 1 mile commute to the beach. I like the look of the radrunner and I like the idea of having a passenger, but it doesn't seem like that is legal in California unless you have a motorcycle license? Has anyone tried to register a radrunner or other minibike as a moped in order to have passengers?

Last edited:
Hi Team,
I am considering the purchase of an ebike for my 1 mile commute to the beach. I like the look of the radrunner and I like the idea of having a passenger, but it doesn't seem like that is legal in California unless you have a motorcycle license? Has anyone tried to register a radrunner or other minibike as a moped in order to have passengers?
Buy 2

An eBike for a 1 mile commute? Let's just say you want an eBike. Hardly anyone has trouble riding 1 mile to work on a traditional bicycle.
This is actually for my surf commute. The ride is downhill to the beach but after surfing for a couple of hours, making it back up the hill is not fun or easy. I did it once on traditional bike, and never again! hahaha I have never been much of a bike rider, but I really think it is silly to drive my huge van to surf alone. Traffic and parking are getting tough around here, and the kids that ride their ebikes pass me while I'm in traffic and then lock their bikes in the lot while I have to park blocks away and walk to the lot. Seems like a no brainer. I will mostly be alone, but I figured it might be fun for my daughter (17) or my husband to tag along every once in a while.

This is actually for my surf commute. The ride is downhill to the beach but after surfing for a couple of hours, making it back up the hill is not fun or easy. I did it once on traditional bike, and never again! hahaha I have never been much of a bike rider, but I really think it is silly to drive my huge van to surf alone. Traffic and parking are getting tough around here, and the kids that ride their ebikes pass me while I'm in traffic and then lock their bikes in the lot while I have to park blocks away and walk to the lot. Seems like a no brainer. I will mostly be alone, but I figured it might be fun for my daughter (17) or my husband to tag along every once in a while.
All the more reason to get an e-tandem! A longer bike to strap your surfboard on! That or a cargo ebike. Seriously, good luck in your search.🌊🏄‍♀️

Hi Team,

Wow, thanks! This seems a little overkill for me as I will mostly be alone, but this definitely gives me something to think about.

Problem with the ebike at the beach while away in the surf is the security issue. I lived at the beach in the past, locks aren't always the answer.

I guess having the bike where you can occasional have a view of it while in the water, probably pretty challenging to do so. Bikes were constantly being stolen at the beach when I lived at the water. If I park my ebike (locked up) its only when I can see it from a cafe window or store front. I never leave my bike out of range, even locked.

Back