Is it possible to change Enviolo hub ratio?

AvalancheRun

Region
USA
More of an optimization question than a problem.

I find that I have a wealth of high gearing, and could benefit from some more low gears. This would help especially when climbing without the luxury of much forward momentum.

You can shift the range towards lower gears by changing either the size of the rear sprocket, or the front chain ring (or both).
For lower gear range you want either a larger rear sprocket or a smaller front chainring.
If the bike uses a chain, this is simply done with a lot of size options, and adjusting the chain length to match.

If the bike uses a belt instead of a chain, you may have some constraints linked to the fact that there are only a certain number of belt sizes, and when you change the sprocket or chainring size, that creates a change in the belt path length.

Enviolo rear sprocket exist is 22T, 24T, 26T, 28T so if you have something smaller than 28T you have room to go up

If you can't go up (or up enough) in the rear, you can go down in the front. Front chainring tooth count depend on the Motor fitment.

Another factor is if the bike uses a belt tensioner or not.

I believe Gates has a calculator that can calculate the belt length based on the various dimensions at play.

In order to offer more insights, we would need more details on the bike (chain or belt, front chainring # of teeth, rear sprocket # of teeth, Full suspension or not., wheel adjustment range for belt tension, chainstay length...), and how much lower you want to get.

Last edited:
i would love to do this, i have a 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado 5 with a Enviolo Hub and Belt drive. Specialized limits their handlebar control to have the lowest RPM be 65. If you use their app on your phone it goes as low as 50. But anything on this bike above 75 RPM is useless adn their handlebar control is useless. i would like effective range to be 40 to 75 RPM. Has anyone actually done this. Does anyone which rear sprocket is on a Specialized Turobo Vado 5?

i would love to do this, i have a 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado 5 with a Enviolo Hub and Belt drive. Specialized limits their handlebar control to have the lowest RPM be 65. If you use their app on your phone it goes as low as 50. But anything on this bike above 75 RPM is useless adn their handlebar control is useless. i would like effective range to be 40 to 75 RPM. Has anyone actually done this. Does anyone which rear sprocket is on a Specialized Turobo Vado 5?
Hi, Recently bought a Como 5.0 IHG for my wife and she experiences the same thing for her, "Slowest" (65rpm) is still too fast and via the Enviolo app I always set the hub to 55rpm before departure, which is top for her! Unfortunately, you have to do this every time you start your bike. I asked the bicycle dealer if she wanted to ask Specialized to adjust the software, his answer was they are testing it to see if it is not detrimental to the Brose 2.2 motor!
According to the technical data, the rear sprocket is 50T and the front is 24T

You can shift the range towards lower gears by changing either the size of the rear sprocket, or the front chain ring (or both).
For lower gear range you want either a larger rear sprocket or a smaller front chainring.
If the bike uses a chain, this is simply done with a lot of size options, and adjusting the chain length to match.

If the bike uses a belt instead of a chain, you may have some constraints linked to the fact that there are only a certain number of belt sizes, and when you change the sprocket or chainring size, that creates a change in the belt path length.

Enviolo rear sprocket exist is 22T, 24T, 26T, 28T so if you have something smaller than 28T you have room to go up

If you can't go up (or up enough) in the rear, you can go down in the front. Front chainring tooth count depend on the Motor fitment.

Another factor is if the bike uses a belt tensioner or not.

I believe Gates has a calculator that can calculate the belt length based on the various dimensions at play.

In order to offer more insights, we would need more details on the bike (chain or belt, front chainring # of teeth, rear sprocket # of teeth, Full suspension or not., wheel adjustment range for belt tension, chainstay length...), and how much lower you want to get.
Thank you! Away from the bike at the moment. I need to take the cover off of the belt and find those specifics. It's a Gazelle C380.
Funnily enough I was able to get the bike to 28 mph on a downhill and finally that upper gearing was helpful. Of course, being a class 1 bike that use case is quite limited...
No! You can change the rear sprocket, but the ratio inside the hub is fixed.
Is the result the same? (more lower gearing)

Is the result the same? (more lower gearing)
This is what I described.

The Enviolo has a fixed gear ratio from 0.5 to 1.9, which correspond to a RANGE of 380% (1.9/0.5)
But the global pedaling gear ratio is obtained by multiplying the Enviolo ratio by the ratio between the front chain ring and the rear Sprocket.

So if you have a front chain ring of 48T and a rear sprocket of 24T that is a ratio of 2 (48/24) and the final gear ratio / range of the bike will become 1 to 3.8 (0.5x2 to1.9x2), the range stays the same.
If now you increase the rear sprocket to 28T (keeping the front at 48T), the chainring/sprocket ratio becomes 1.71, and the resulting bike range ratio becomes 0.86 x 3.26 (0.5 x 1.71 to 1.9x1.71).
The minimum ratio is shifted down from 1 to 0.86, while the top ratio also goes down from 3.8 to 3.26.

You can create a similar reduction of the gear ratio by decreasing the Front Chainring. If you keep the rear at 24T but go down to 42T in the front, that ratio becomes 1.75, and the resulting bike ratio 0.88 to 3.33

By comparison, if you have a traditional derailleur with 11 to 42 teeth sprockets at the rear (similar Range of 381%), and you couple that with a 44T front chain ring, you would get a ratio range of 1.05 to 4 (44/42 to 44/11)

Last edited:
I have a FFuel 1s (Shimano 5), belt drive and I love the bike, except I need a larger gear ratio. Enviolo would work, but I'm thinking it would be an easier "transfer" to replace the 5 with the Alfine 11, with a larger ratio than the enviolo. I'm thinking I can just make the switch using the same wheel, spokes, tire and all, since they are all new and I assume compatable.
I interested in any input and feedback.
(Another option is to sell the bike and get a Ffuel Fluid 2s, but I don't see that I gain a lot in practical use, for a lot more money. I'm sure there must be another bike out there that can do the job, but I can't find it.)

Back