is it a bad time to buy an e-bike?

shaunmed

So I'm looking at some Haibike models and I've decided on the 29" hardtail and I've found it for $3500.

My question is, is it stupid to buy an e-bike now in the USA since in a few months the new Bosch and Yamaha motors are coming out, both with better specs (especially torque)?

The 29" Yamaha 29" hardtail is going to priced at around $2500.

It depends. Many model releases in North America can easily be delayed for weeks, months or quarters. Are the improvements incremental or substantial? What is the difference in purchase price and is the cost for the additional performance justified. Given that e-bikes are (to use a birthing analogy) just past conception, you will see continued improvements from year to year, especially in wireless, battery and motor technology. Any ebike you buy should be with the expectation that its a 24-36 month purchase. This does not mean the bike will only last that long, it means that this is the probable amount of time where an upgrade provides substantive improvement in performance.

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend that you buy local since ebikes are a higher maintenance item than human powered bikes.

Enjoy the search and the ride!

You'll likely be seeing bikes with the bafang max mix drive next year for what it's worth!

Wait.

In a couple of months they will be clearing out the 2015 models while they are stocking g the 2016 models. Nshould get a decent discount.

Check it out then

So I'm looking at some Haibike models and I've decided on the 29" hardtail and I've found it for $3500.

My question is, is it stupid to buy an e-bike now in the USA since in a few months the new Bosch and Yamaha motors are coming out, both with better specs (especially torque)?

The 29" Yamaha 29" hardtail is going to priced at around $2500.

It's a bad time to buy a 2015 if you're paying full MSRP. Ebike prices in general are falling, and 2015 models are getting a bit stale. If you tell your shop about your situation, they might be willing to cut you a deal on a 2015, or you could simply put down a deposit on a Yamaha Haibike.

It's always a GREAT time to buy an ebike in our opinion, but we're biased.... :) But, truthfully the $2500 Yamaha bike you're looking at won't compare as good as the $3500 Haibike you're probably looking at in terms of bike specs. The Yamaha motor is pretty good but the BOSCH is still going to be better for a while and the 2016 motors are essentially the same. The $3500 Yamaha motor might be closer to the Haibike Xduro but spec to spec, the $3500 bike you're eyeballing is still better than the entry level Yamaha bike that's on its way and well worth the added bucks.

Joe

I'm probably in the same position as you, would like to get a bike now, but given the new bikes are almost here, I feel its the wrong time to buy. The new SDURO line will be an attractive option with a starting MSRP of $2500 for many and I heard from someone in Ireland who had a chance to use it on a 15 mile ride (not sure of the model year) - first time using a bike and he loved it. I hear they will have some 28 MPH bikes staring below $5K, I hope they have a HardNine with that option, as thats what I have my eye on.

Last edited:
The waters fine. Jump in.
Sure there will be nicer/newer/better coming after you buy.
ALWAYS will be the case.
So sit on the sidelines watching other people have a lot of fun waiting for the "perfect" point in the process.
Or jump in. Keep it nice and you can sell it for a few hundred less than you paid if there's something shinier out there later.

I'm probably in the same position as you, would like to get a bike now, but given the new bikes are almost here, I feel its the wrong time to buy. The new SDURO line will be an attractive option with a starting MSRP of $2500 for many and I heard from someone in Ireland who had a chance to use it on a 15 mile ride (not sure of the model year) - first time using a bike and he loved it. I hear they will have some 28 MPH bikes staring below $5K, I hope they have a HardNine with that option, as thats what I have my eye on.
The Speed Pedelecs will only be XDURO models with Bosch:

FullSeven Pro
FullSeven RX
Trekking
Race
Urban

I have a 2015 FullSeven RX, will we ever be able to upgrade our bikes to the higher speed limit? Not a biggie to me, I wouldn't pay much, but if it was easy and reasonable. ;)

Back