Is a class 3 ebike adjusted to go only 20 mph class 2?

So if I have not modified my Lectric XP to go faster than 20 (which I havent), am I a class 2 Ebike?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

If you have a throttle and the bike will not go over 20mph, you have a Class II bike.

If you have a throttle and the bike will not go over 20mph, you have a Class II bike.

Ok, if I modify it so it is able to to hit 28, I am then not allowed on bikepaths in California is the way I understand the law.

I’d like to chime in on this subject. Different states, different rules. Ebikes are lots of fun and they make it easy for us older folks and people with disabilities to get into something that’s enjoyable. Bike companies will sell anything at a price just to make profits. It’s unfortunate that as consumers we will try to get an edge. if the law say 28mph, we want more, but we don’t want to lose the priviledge of riding on bike trails, not having to pay for registration, inspection, license, and any other priviledge we now enjoy as ebikers.
We have to self regulate or we will be regulated and it is coming as sure as we’re alive. Stop trying to get more mph on something that’s illegal. If you want speed, then show some balls and get a motorcycle. We are going to screw it up for all ebikers. Follow the laws of your state, and by all means, when approaching and passing people on non powered bikes and pedestrians, shut your power off and let those you’re passing that you are passing on their left and when you go by, say THANK YOU. I expect people to jump in and attack me, but wake up, we have a good thing going.

20 mph is plenty for me and the e-boost is kinda like riding the exercise bike at the gym when you hit the downhill or level section. Sucks gettin old!

I don't think you will be attacked for common sense and a bit of courtesy. We have a "good enough" ebiking regulation w/o requiring liscence plates, insurance, inspections, etc. And I don't believe many people actually will go more than 20 mph often. I would prefer a single 25 mph limit for all slow moving vehicles (bikes, golf carts, tractors, horse drawn buggy, whatever else) just because we have thousands of miles of 25 mph limit streets and roads in the USA, but no 20 or 28 mph limits that I know of, but that's not important. Enjoy what you have.;)

By locked down, I meant there was a restriction on the available settings. Much like the one that allowed you only 24/25mph. Not locked down would allow ANY number to be used there.

You don't need a class 3 to get more hill climbing ability. You need more power. Actually, the bike you have, if not locked down by the mfg. COULD be a class 3 bike.

If not into doing modifications, and you want to climb bigger hills more easily, you might look into a mid drive bike with a 750w motor. That should handle about anything shy of a steep mountain trail and may still qualify as a class 2.

In the future they are going to have to lock and seal bike computers to assure they stay at whatever class a bike is designated to be. My bike was bought as class 2, but it is now class 3 because it will go over 20 mph after my adjustment. I know I should change it back to avoid trouble. But, that extra speed comes in handy (when I'm alone) and no-one seems to be looking...yet. BUT at some point it may have to be set back to 20 mph max. All the 750 watt mid drives I've looked at will go much faster than 20. Adding gearing really opens the top and low end up. I think mid-drive class one bikes are generally 250 watts. It's a European thing. Those bikes, Yamaha, Trek, Specialized are much lighter and could easily be peddled over 20. Putting speed controls on ebikes will be difficult. I believe that in the end true class 2 bikes will have to be hub drives. The trick is going to be getting as much power as I can for mountain trails while not getting stuck with something I can't use in all the great parks and canal trails here. But there obviously is no clear answer to this right now.

Last edited:
In the future they are going to have to lock and seal bike computers to assure they stay at whatever class a bike is designated to be. My bike was bought as class 2, but it is now class 3 because it will go over 20 mph after my adjustment. I know I should change it back to avoid trouble. But, that extra speed comes in handy (when I'm alone) and no-one seems to be looking...yet. BUT at some point it's going back. All the 750 watt mid drives I've looked at will go much faster than 20. Adding gearing really opens the top end up. I think mid-drive class one bikes are generally 250 watts. It's a European thing. Those bikes, Yamaha, Trek, Specialized are much lighter and could easily be peddled over 20. Putting controls on ebikes will be difficult. I believe that in the end true class 2 bikes will have to be hub drives. The trick is going to be getting as much power as I can for mountain trails while not getting stuck with something I can't use in all the great parks and canal trails here. But there obviously is no clear answer to this right now.
Remember that class 3 means more speed, not more power. There are many powerfull class 1 ebikes (no throttle, 20 mph limit) that can climb big hills ... Bulls comes to mind ... Yamaha ... Class 1 Vado .

Remember that class 3 means more speed, not more power. There are many powerfull class 1 ebikes (no throttle, 20 mph limit) that can climb big hills ... Bulls comes to mind ... Yamaha ... Class 1 Vado .

I have a very bad back. Throttle is a welcome relief at times. BUT, I do like everything Yamaha makes. Even though their battery and motor output are less. I'll bet those master engineers design some very capable bikes. I've thought about them a few times. I'm thinking I have about 50 NM of torque right now. Can't help but think a 100 NM output would give me some more low end.

I have a very bad back. Throttle is a welcome relief at times. BUT, I do like everything Yamaha makes. Even though their battery and motor output are less. I'll bet those master engineers design some very capable bikes. I've thought about them a few times. I'm thinking I have about 50 NM of torque right now. Can't help but think a 100 NM output would give me some more low end.
I agree that torque not watts is your friend on hills or headwinds. And I believe the Vado 5 has 80 NM and the Giant has more and don't forget it's got 8 or 10 gears to run that power thru. Go test drive a middrive and see what you think if you haven't already tried one . ;)

The 3 class law only applies to on road not off road in every state that adopted it. There are only 2 rail trails on state land that allow class 1 ebikes in the state of Maryland. I ride them often. I'm not trying to argue your sentiments, as I don't disagree with the spirit of what you said. I just thought you'd want to know.
Certainly not in Florida. HB 971 became effective 1 July 2020, all classes of ebikes are authorized to travel wherever bicycles are allowed to travel.

Certainly not in Florida. HB 971 became effective 1 July 2020, all classes of ebikes are authorized to travel wherever bicycles are allowed to travel.
Different law. I referenced the model legislation designating the three classes of ebikes. States have passed a variety of other laws regulating where ebikes can ride. The three class law does not include off road venues.

No surprise to me. Florida is very actively promoting biking. New trails sprouting everywhere.

Different law. I referenced the model legislation designating the three classes of ebikes. States have passed a variety of other laws regulating where ebikes can ride. The three class law does not include off road venues.
Actually J.R. ... I think class 3 is private property only in some states. Not even street legal. But didn't know Florida counted them all like regular bikes. Makes a lot of sense. I think they are the only state with an older average age than us, and flat. Ebiking should explode there unless it's just too hot.

Actually J.R. ... I think class 3 is private property only in some states. Not even street legal. But didn't know Florida counted them all like regular bikes. Makes a lot of sense. I think they are the only state with an older average age than us, and flat. Ebiking should explode there unless it's just too hot.

Regarding "flat". Not all of it. Our place down there is in a "rolling coastal area" with hills big enough where you don't see many people on bikes. These hills are the ones that stopped us dead in our biking tracks - until we discovered e-bikes. While I do agree MOST of Florida is relatively flat, there are several areas that are pretty challenging from a biking perspective. You don't notice them so much in a car, but on a bike?

Last edited:
Regarding "flat". Not all of it, not by any shape of the imagination. Maybe you've heard me referencing my struggles with a rolling hills coastal area? The kind with BIG hills? That's in Florida. On the Gulf Coast north of Tampa. Often referenced as the "Nature Coast" and north central Florida. I'm thinking there's another similar area over by Lakeland.

Re: older average age. I do agree with that. Walkers and bikers constantly mowed down on the sides of streets, people running into buildings. There, it's not just inattention, it's often the senior factor. "Oops, I didn't see him..... ".
Those coastal hills don't come to mind like the top of the state for me. My sister lives in Ocala, horse country flat. And everglades flat.

I believe the "I didn't see him" factor, but at least the real seniors aren't staring at facebook while walking across the street like college "seniors" do. At least I hope not yet.

We're south and west of Ocala, maybe 30 minutes (Citrus Springs). It's not a huge area, maybe 10 miles square, and we're smack in the middle of it. We can't go anywhere without dealing with several miles of hills first. There's a riding club based in Dunnellon (nice little LBS there) that likes to cut through a corner of this area for a change of pace regularly.

Very similar to the "top of the state" areas, and it seems like the area over by Lakeland can be a bit "rolling" as well. Even I-75 can be a bit rolling starting a bit south of Ocala and northward quite a ways.

I haven't liked the 3 class from the start. It pits us against each other and allows for targeted regulations of each class. I think I saw you post that you'd like to see the limit at 25mph. Funny thing is when the 3 class law was proposed in 2015, a lot of us were saying the same. I'd rather see the class as just "ebikes". A low power assisted bicycle that can go wherever bicycles can go.

Class 3 bikes aren't legal in PA. Our ebike law went into effect October 2014 before the three classes were even thought of. Given how slow our state moves, I don't see that changing for a while. State land, off road is class 1 only. Things move slow here and even slower when nobody's pushing.

The differences between the 3 class distinctions are stupid. No throttle? Really?

I haven't liked the 3 class from the start. It pits us against each other and allows for targeted regulations of each class. I think I saw you post that you'd like to see the limit at 25mph. Funny thing is when the 3 class law was proposed in 2015, a lot of us were saying the same. I'd rather see the class as just "ebikes". A low power assisted bicycle that can go wherever bicycles can go.

Class 3 bikes aren't legal in PA. Our ebike law went into effect October 2014 before the three classes were even thought of. Given how slow our state moves, I don't see that changing for a while. State land, off road is class 1 only. Things move slow here and even slower when nobody's pushing.
/RantBegins/ Just look at how many hoops Stephan had to jump thru for his S Vado. Lights. Liscence plate. No riding on the bike lanes or whereever. I don't want that here.
/RantEnds/

I'll ride a class 1 (or a class 2 with removable throttle ) at my 12 or 13 mph out of 20 or 25 mph max available all over the US and Canada quite happily. Just as soon as such travel seems wise.

Back