Intermittent loss of power

Kendodsdadsdog

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for letting me join this excellent group. This is my first post so forgive me if I get some etiquette wrong.

I’m in my 60s and bought my Ebike about 8 years ago. Always been reasonably fit but spinal problems were preventing me from being able to get out of the saddle to cycle up hill. I bought a Haibike Sduro Hardseven, with Yamaha motor and it really helped.

I noticed a problem last year. Pedalling hard up hills the motor would suddenly cut-out for a second or so, then come back, then cut-out and so on. In the moments the motor loses power I notice the LCD display stops displaying speed. This only happens when I’m pedalling hard, up hill.

The place I bought the bike from has changed hands, I did call a couple of times and was told the tech-guy would contact me, but this never happened and they didn’t seem that interested.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction. I can’t believe I’m the only ebiker with this problem.

Thanks in advance

Hi, thanks for letting me join this excellent group. This is my first post so forgive me if I get some etiquette wrong.

I’m in my 60s and bought my Ebike about 8 years ago. Always been reasonably fit but spinal problems were preventing me from being able to get out of the saddle to cycle up hill. I bought a Haibike Sduro Hardseven, with Yamaha motor and it really helped.

I noticed a problem last year. Pedalling hard up hills the motor would suddenly cut-out for a second or so, then come back, then cut-out and so on. In the moments the motor loses power I notice the LCD display stops displaying speed. This only happens when I’m pedalling hard, up hill.

The place I bought the bike from has changed hands, I did call a couple of times and was told the tech-guy would contact me, but this never happened and they didn’t seem that interested.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction. I can’t believe I’m the only ebiker with this problem.

Thanks in advance
Another possibility is that it’s “voltage lag.” For all of my e-bikes (3 each different brands), if I’m under very heavy load and the battery has been drained a bit, I had the power cut out due to a voltage drop under load. This is a fairly “normal” thing, depending on the model, power output, battery charge, and the capability of the controller. Could be getting some overheating, which could cause a dropout in power, until cooling back down.

If my battery is not drained to the lower range, and I choose a lower motor assist level, I typically never have that problem.

Could be getting some overheating, which could cause a dropout in power, until cooling back down.
The same thought here. It could be the thermal protection of the motor taking its action.

How much effort does it take to overheat the motor? I had to hit 520 watts on my bosch just to hit the limit of what the motor could do. thats a lot of effort.

How much effort does it take to overheat the motor? I had to hit 520 watts on my bosch just to hit the limit of what the motor could do. thats a lot of effort.
Is it the electrical or mechanical power?

I am in the convenient position to be able to measure the motor and battery temperature in my Specialized e-bikes. It is very easy to get at 60 C (140 F) in my e-bikes, especially at the maximum assistance and in the summer. My app classifies it as the "yellow card" situation. I had never measured the motor temperature at my extreme climbs (no time or inclination to do it), and the thermal protection on my stronger e-bike has never needed to kick in.

However, the thermal build-up takes time. If you climbed for several miles with a small chainring and big cassette cog in maximum assistance, the motor temperature could build up really high. We had several reports of EBR users about the intermittent power loss; it was often related to long climbs in "Turbo".

Now, you know it is doable to fry a hub motor on a significant climb. Mid-motors are bigger and can dissipate the heat easier; they have the thermal protection as well. I do not say it must be the overheat in the OP situation but it could be the reason.

I almost never use turbo on my bike. we use it on the tandem on steep climbs but we are both going at it too.
when i said 520 watts thats me thats what it takes to max out the performance speed gen 4 motor about 450 on the gen 2 motor. but thats only for a block or two at a time about all I can manage. buti t takes a steep ass hill to get to that level. or maybe going 28 on eco mode.

Is it the electrical or mechanical power?

I am in the convenient position to be able to measure the motor and battery temperature in my Specialized e-bikes. It is very easy to get at 60 C (140 F) in my e-bikes, especially at the maximum assistance and in the summer. My app classifies it as the "yellow card" situation. I had never measured the motor temperature at my extreme climbs (no time or inclination to do it), and the thermal protection on my stronger e-bike has never needed to kick in.

However, the thermal build-up takes time. If you climbed for several miles with a small chainring and big cassette cog in maximum assistance, the motor temperature could build up really high. We had several reports of EBR users about the intermittent power loss; it was often related to long climbs in "Turbo".

Now, you know it is doable to fry a hub motor on a significant climb. Mid-motors are bigger and can dissipate the heat easier; they have the thermal protection as well. I do not say it must be the overheat in the OP situation but it could be the reason.
I do a lot of climbing, and have gone up some really extreme grades, so have seen the problem with all three of my e-bikes (all different makes and models, 250, 350 and 500 watts peak power output). All depends on % grade, length of hill, duration and intensity of climbing, gearing, and specific motor & controller.

Didn’t happen that often, and rarely happens now that I’m in better shape and generally use much lower assist levels. If my battery is nearly drained, that’s a different story.

Then again, as mentioned, there could always be electrical issues, connector or wiring problems, too. Years ago, I had a wire shorting and failing.

You should definitely get some contact cleaner and clean all you can get at with an 8 year old eBike. Do you store the bike in a garage or house? Stored in a damp area would make the contact corrosion worse. There is no voltage sag in the Bosch Haibikes, but can't say for sure about the Yamahas.

Back