Insuring your Ebike

Daffyh

Since the bike cost me a small fortune i decided it was a small price to pay.
Do many others use it?
I had to buy an isurance approved Abus lock but thats fine as by bike has now got 3 locks for the thieves to bypass if they want it.
1 for the frame and seatpost together, the other 2 for the frame.

I added my bike to my homeowners policy as a special rider on the policy (kind of like a fine-arts or jewelry rider).

You guys are lucky you can insure your ebikes.
Here in Ontario, Canada the ebike laws are designed to make ebike ownership as onerous as possible. So, insurance companies are allowed to refuse to insure them. People can insure a standard non electric bike under their home insurance, but ebike owners aren't so lucky. When I got my first ebike I called several insurance companies and was flatly refused coverage. I was told by my home insurer that if something like a fire or flood happened, my ebike wouldn't be covered for a dime. They don't even offer separate policies that would cover accidents, theft or vandalism.

You guys are lucky you can insure your ebikes.
Here in Ontario, Canada the ebike laws are designed to make ebike ownership as onerous as possible. So, insurance companies are allowed to refuse to insure them. People can insure a standard non electric bike under their home insurance, but ebike owners aren't so lucky. When I got my first ebike I called several insurance companies and was flatly refused coverage. I was told by my home insurer that if something like a fire or flood happened, my ebike wouldn't be covered for a dime. They don't even offer separate policies that would cover accidents, theft or vandalism.

You have to shop around but you can find insurance companies in Ontario to cover eBikes as part of your home owners policy. It can cover Injury, liability, property damage caused by the bike, and physical damage to the bike itself.

https://www.josslin.com/e-bike-insurance.htm

You have to shop around but you can find insurance companies in Ontario to cover eBikes as part of your home owners policy. It can cover Injury, liability, property damage caused by the bike, and physical damage to the bike itself.

https://www.josslin.com/e-bike-insurance.htm

When I did a search for ebike insurers in Ontario, Josslin was the ONLY one. Two years ago either they didn't exist or didn't come up in a search. I could contact them, I have existing tenant's insurance. However, if they are the only game in the province, I don't want to imagine what kind of premium they charge. But, I will ask before drawing any conclusion.

When I asked several companies (including my tenant insurance carrier) all of them said "we don't insure ebikes because we don't have to." They consider them a poor risk.

Back