Inside Royal Dutch Gazelle - Bikes for the People Since 1892

We paid a visit to Gazelle and sat down with their director of Marketing and Innovation, Mirjam van Colie to learn a bit more of what they are up to. Gazelle has a rich history and we're excited to share some of that with you.

More about Gazelle: https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/
See Gazelle Bikes at Propel: https://propelbikes.com/brand/gazelle/
Interesting comment from the Gazelle spokeswoman, with dedicated bike paths there is more eye contact and person to person interaction with people riding bikes. This was also a plus for the new urbanism movement when their urban designs always included sidewalks and front porches so passing persons have a friendly way of interacting.

I totally agree! It's a great way to connect with people and creates a more engaged community which is good for a variety of reasons.

The Arroyo is meeting my expectations. I can actually ride long distances (for me) without having hands going numb and shoulders hurting. The seat is comfy also, which is surprising. I'm having fun with it, and recently found out it can also be ridden on unpaved roads. I ride on the upaved roads in order to avoid the highway. This is an area with NO bike infrastructure at all. Luckily, most drivers have been polite so far, and it is also an area where a lot of drivers actually go slower than the speed limit.

The Arroyo is meeting my expectations. I can actually ride long distances (for me) without having hands going numb and shoulders hurting. The seat is comfy also, which is surprising. I'm having fun with it, and recently found out it can also be ridden on unpaved roads. I ride on the upaved roads in order to avoid the highway. This is an area with NO bike infrastructure at all. Luckily, most drivers have been polite so far, and it is also an area where a lot of drivers actually go slower than the speed limit.
Great to hear the Arroyo is working well for you. Gazelle makes nice bikes. Sounds like a nice place to live. Where is this mystical place?

Great to hear the Arroyo is working well for you. Gazelle makes nice bikes. Sounds like a nice place to live. Where is this mystical place?

Omak, WA which is too far from Seattle, and too far from Spokane, but close to the wine country of British Columbia. I say too far because housing prices have not gone astronomical here yet. It's kind of a shopping hub and has four traffic lights in the whole county. Winters are cold, summers are hot and a lot of fruit orchards and pot farms are in the area. The latter are legal.

Diesel pickups are the preferred transportation method. They are often pulling a stock trailer behind. I moved back here to retire because it is still small, but has a bit more than other small towns do. We can go bike riding up in the hills and see only a couple of cars, or none at all.

This is actually near the box store "madness". Below that is a good place to ride in the spring or fall and take dogs along. I ride the Rad on that road. It's kind of rocky in spots. During hot weather, we can be up at 4000 feet elevation where it is cooler and ride in the woods.

Attachments

• DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC00898.JPG
    DSC00898.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Back