Info overload on first ebike help. 4 months of research

I'm guessing you don't want the special this week: ;)

Lol oh this thing was way smaller than a folder. It was a micro bike. Ive seen the ads for them and the people in the ads trying to look totally casual riding down a city street like a circus bear. 🙄 To each his own but not my "speed". I think the rad mini is cool its something i might have someday to travel or camp with but not to me an all purpose type bike for commuting and exercise.
So browsing some other pedelecs .....
Im wondering these class3 bikes like magnum, aventon etc..(dealer bikes) all seem to have the 500w motor. (Aventon i think has a 20amp controller and magnum an 18amp) yet they are zippy and hit 28 easily. Meanwhile juiced and biktrix and others are selling online for the same price or less, 750-1100watt motor bikes that claim to hit 32 or so and im wondering 1. How can that much bigger of a motor and controller only be 2 or 3 mph difference and 2. How do we really KNOW what size these motors ARE? We are all familiar with the rad motor story, well apparantly researching now magnum i see their "mother company" (they also make amego and some other bike..watch peak video and go to their brand discussion) THEY SAY their motors are ALL 250w no matter where shipped. In reviews owners have stated their motor came with a sticker rating of 250 and one 350 and yet the specs from court say the peak is a 500w. ???? Are these chinese companies just making one motor and basically whoever gets it gets the sticker for that location? Sure seems that way to me. Then they get a controller to limit the motor to whatever the legal speed is there? Idk its odd that a 500w motor 18amp cont can easily hit 28 and a rad barely hits 21 with a bigger motor and the juiced and others out there. A 1000 watt/1200 watt peak motor should be able to hit 35 with ease its twice the size. ...what is the real deal on power and speed? Are we getting duped and its all the same?

Really been eyeing the biktrix swift. Looks good for 1800 but idk about the mxus hub motor. Not too familiar with that. Everything else tho is spec on. Tires puncture resis, torque and cadence, 48x17 battery, throttle, fenders and rack. Anyone know anything about the mxus? Imma look that up then go try to ride a couple bikes here around lunch when it warms up. High of only 68 today 😳😁

Actually nvrmd. I just got done reading the whole mr. M story or whoever on biktrix and a couple others. I think i dont care to wait 8 months for a bike. Esp a damaged or incorrect one. Im def going lbs even if it means a little lower specs or a long drive. Im just not set for aggravation of dealing with bs and returns and no real confidence. It is still 2+grand after all. If i bought anything else, a kayak, a keyboard, computer......for that price id have a reciept and a place to go right to for any issue. This is going to be transportation not decoration. So off to the lbs i go. I ll keep posted! 😁

Welp. Pulled the trigger. Pics to come. Love my choice annnnddddd got to buy from a lbs!!!! So glad. Little over budget but, whats new? 😳😁

Trying to post pics ...
So i went a few places. One was a no go. 3 ebikes. One was fat tires some brand never hear of. Cute but decided didnt want the huge 4". Trek dealer rode a 5k mid drive...nice but i found the middrive fluid but not really necessary for an extra 3 grand frankly.
Dealer who had some magnums went to see....which i have seen before and rode the metro plus and new low rider. Metro was too big really for me ...peak was ok but no lights or fenders or rack......loved the stable easy chopper feel to the low rider so i went home with it. Set up and ready to go. Feels really nice, has plenty of power and rides smooth. Local lbs very knowledgeable and saved me 100 in gas to drive to lennys on a chance, plus a hundo for set up and etc or shipping issues. You guys were totally spot on. This isnt at all a bike i would have picked out online without riding a few and im so glad i went lbs and test drove. I would have likely not been satisfied with the choices i had. Didnt care much between torque sensor or cadence and this bike is only 59 lbs so i can ride on zero assist without extreme effort. Now to keep my kids from touching it lol. Thanks to all for the advice....very helpful.

Trying to post pics ...
So i went a few places. One was a no go. 3 ebikes. One was fat tires some brand never hear of. Cute but decided didnt want the huge 4". Trek dealer rode a 5k mid drive...nice but i found the middrive fluid but not really necessary for an extra 3 grand frankly.
Dealer who had some magnums went to see....which i have seen before and rode the metro plus and new low rider. Metro was too big really for me ...peak was ok but no lights or fenders or rack......loved the stable easy chopper feel to the low rider so i went home with it. Set up and ready to go. Feels really nice, has plenty of power and rides smooth. Local lbs very knowledgeable and saved me 100 in gas to drive to lennys on a chance, plus a hundo for set up and etc or shipping issues. You guys were totally spot on. This isnt at all a bike i would have picked out online without riding a few and im so glad i went lbs and test drove. I would have likely not been satisfied with the choices i had. Didnt care much between torque sensor or cadence and this bike is only 59 lbs so i can ride on zero assist without extreme effort. Now to keep my kids from touching it lol. Thanks to all for the advice....very helpful.
Congrats. This it?

1583621012332.png

Painful to spend 2300 but considering my choices were all between 1800 and 2500 online this was acceptable. Now to get some locks in a hurry.

Congrats.
We just picked this up for $1900 and change...
LIV Amiti E+2 • Sync-Drive Sport by Yamaha

BRD14707_CM_02_1024x1024.jpg

The Liv Amiti's are priced at $2600 and $2700. How'd you score one at under $2K?

New member here from Vermont, hi everyone.
I went almost a year doing research and agonizing over what to buy. I ended up getting an M2S Allterrain Ultramax fatbike about 2 weeks ago. I set it up with aftermarket rack and fenders for $50 and ordered a $200 set of 27.5" wheels with 2.35" tires, 10 spd cassette, and through axles for summer road use. All that put me just under $3000, which is a lot but considering it has the 1000-1500 watt Bafang Ultramax mid drive, torque sensor, air suspension fork, 10 speed Deore drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes, 48 volt 19.2 Ah battery and cheapo light set, I think it was good deal.
After a little more than 125 miles on snow trails I am thrilled with it. If I were to buy again, I would probably forego the the air suspension for winter riding but maybe it will be more appreciated with my summer wheelset.
The 'beast from the east' has proved to be a lot more powerful than I personally need and it is run at PAS 1 or 2 all of the time. The range would be 50+ miles with temps in the teens, I usually ride for 2 hours or more and draw the battery down to 40%. The throttle is more of a trigger than throttle, I don't use it at all and will be removing it shortly. It does get the machine up to 30 mph with no pedalling on flat pavement if that matters... I wouldn't even consider an ebike for trails that didn't have a good torque sensor, I tried 3 different cadence only bikes and they felt much less like bikes than those with torque sensors, but would be fine on bike paths. Same goes for hub drives.
My best advice for a buyer would be to really try to evaluate what you want the bike for if you can only have one. A fatbike is amazing on packed snow or sand with 4 psi in the tires but not needed for pavement or hard pack. You do give up a bit of range with fat tires and they seem more fragile than 'normal' MTB tires. Thing is you can have both with a fatbike and set of 27.5" wheels, which is perfect for me. If I was more of a city and bike path rider, I would get an ebike more tailored to that purpose.

Hub drive?
Yeah hub 500-750. I drove a middrive, tbh part of this 1st bike will be for me, getting BACK into biking, and just the little jaunt i did on the yamaha i was a little winded so i think the torque while smooth may be a little harder of a workout than im ready for out of the gate. I had a heart issue and tia 3 yrs ago and as soon as i went back to work got hit on MY bike and messed up pretty good. So ive been down 3 years and am at a health disadvantage but working, well and ready to get back in the game !!!!😁 but yeah i felt that yes after awhile when im in shape again i will get maybe tired of just the "push" but right now i need that. But the yamaha was butter. So was the 5k😂.

Last edited:
Congrats.
We just picked this up for $1900 and change...
LIV Amiti E+2 • Sync-Drive Sport by Yamaha

BRD14707_CM_02_1024x1024.jpg
Thats a nice looking ride. Nice specs too at that price. I also figure for my 2nd bike (lol) now that i finally have one i wont be so anxious about taking my time and knowing exactly what i want . But this will also be a nice stable pass down to the girls in a year or two when im on my giant 😬

Last edited:
I went almost a year doing research and agonizing over what to buy. I ended up getting an M2S Allterrain Ultramax fatbike about 2 weeks ago. I set it up with aftermarket rack and fenders for $50 and ordered a $200 set of 27.5" wheels with 2.35" tires, 10 spd cassette, and through axles for summer road use. All that put me just under $3000, which is a lot but considering it has the 1000-1500 watt Bafang Ultramax mid drive, torque sensor, air suspension fork, 10 speed Deore drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes, 48 volt 19.2 Ah battery and cheapo light set, I think it was good deal.
After a little more than 125 miles on snow trails I am thrilled with it. If I were to buy again, I would probably forego the the air suspension for winter riding but maybe it will be more appreciated with my summer wheelset.
The 'beast from the east' has proved to be a lot more powerful than I personally need and it is run at PAS 1 or 2 all of the time. The range would be 50+ miles with temps in the teens, I usually ride for 2 hours or more and draw the battery down to 40%. The throttle is more of a trigger than throttle, I don't use it at all and will be removing it shortly. It does get the machine up to 30 mph with no pedalling on flat pavement if that matters... I wouldn't even consider an ebike for trails that didn't have a good torque sensor, I tried 3 different cadence only bikes and they felt much less like bikes than those with torque sensors, but would be fine on bike paths. Same goes for hub drives.
My best advice for a buyer would be to really try to evaluate what you want the bike for if you can only have one. A fatbike is amazing on packed snow or sand with 4 psi in the tires but not needed for pavement or hard pack. You do give up a bit of range with fat tires and they seem more fragile than 'normal' MTB tires. Thing is you can have both with a fatbike and set of 27.5" wheels, which is perfect for me. If I was more of a city and bike path rider, I would get an ebike more tailored to that purpose.
I looked at the m2s and their specs are very nice. I loved the "idea" of it. Ultimately i bought the way i did based on the following:
1. Mostly commuting 4 miles each way or riding to the beach and parking, 4 miles each way, riding around town and maybe on a hardpack path.
2. I live at the beach. No mud or snow and i wont be on "trails" as in trails like i used to dirtbike when we would ride the same hole 500 times JUST to wallow it out 😁. The cruiser low rider style blends in here with other casual riders also.
3. I have had some nasty crashes and have spent a lifetime "working " on stuff....cars, trucks, atvs, lawnmowers, tractors, you get the point. We grew up in the garage with dad working on stuff and frankly, im sick of working on crap. I want a dealer for 2-3 grand who i can take it to. I want a usable warranty thus the lbs. Which limited some choices in class3s but ijust know me and if theres a problem to be had, i will have it. Single parent and commuting i just cant afford any delays, failures, learning development periods etc lol. I can be doing that with some hand holding the first yr this way.
4. The tires are oversize balloon/city so they are stable for holes and some sandy spots and etc but no resistance.
5. Im not tall so i know tires are headed 27.5 and once i get more stable maybe but for rn oversized 26 is perfect and when passed down thats a consideration also, stability.
6. The middrive via online is still too confusing for me....luna cycle, build my own, the ultra, nylon vs new gears, it seemed the tech on those bafangs is going fast so i wasnt secure making a decision on those plus, m2s has a lot of upgrades so my bike would have been like 6000k lol.
But keep us posted bc i do like their bikes and am interested in how that ultra works out over time and how the service is with m2s!!!

Last edited:
The Liv Amiti's are priced at $2600 and $2700. How'd you score one at under $2K?

Leftover 2019 model, repeat customer = killer deal. 😇

Yeah hub 500-750. I drive a middrive, tbh part of this 1st bike will be for me, getting BACK into biking, and just the little jaunt i did on the yamaha i was a little winded so i think thr torque while smooth may be a little harder of a workout that im ready for out of the gate. I had a heart issue and tia 3 yrs ago and as soon as i went back to work got hit on MY bike and messed up pretty good. So ive been down 3 years and am at a health disadvantage but working, well and ready to gey back in the game !!!!😁 but yeah i felt that yes after awhile when im in shape again i will get maybe tired of just the "push" but rightnow i need that. But the yamaha was butter. So was the 5k😂.

She says it's a bit more of a workout compared to her hubdrive Roll, but easy to ride and handle, she likes it. Yes, you have to pedal for it to go, whereas a throttle bike you don't even have to pedal.

We tend to cruise on pavement pretty near the speed limiter - it fades off right about 19.5mph. At least I do, she'll tend to hang back a bit, misses the lights, and I end up waiting. LOL We did 20 miles on them yesterday and it was way fun.

Last edited:
They look to be nice bikes but how responsive is M2S after the sale if the owner has any problems? Where do you get that biked worked on locally?

One other concern I have with the Bafang Ultra is burning up chains and the drivetrain with all that power. 160 Newton meters of torque? Holy cow!

Back