Info overload on first ebike help. 4 months of research

Did you read any of those reviews on Crazy Lenny‘s? I have bought several bikes from them and they have all been great experiences, those reviews are obviously fake

I just checked those reviews and they’re all misspelled and sound like a two-year-old wrote them so it’s pretty obvious they are fake

totally disregard those, you are not going to find any bike shop that has as many bikes to test ride as that store
And you are not going to beat their prices

That is not my impression, it sounds like he’s been to some other bike shops around Tampa but not lennys

Did you read any of those reviews on Crazy Lenny‘s? I have bought several bikes from them and they have all been great experiences, those reviews are obviously fake

I just checked those reviews and they’re all misspelled and sound like a two-year-old wrote them so it’s pretty obvious they are fake

totally disregard those, you are not going to find any bike shop that has as many bikes to test ride as that store
And you are not going to beat their prices
Yeah i read the reviews and some were from the same time frame so i discounted those and some from a few months ago.....saying they left, bike broke, cameback 3 diff times....yada yada ...you dont know what to believe anymore. And if he was right around the corner id hop over and see for myself. But, being 2 hrs away a little diff. If i hadnt had crappy luck with these lbs thus far prob have a little more hope. It also looked like or sounded like some of his bikes are technically used which is why they are so cheap...one had like 7 miles on it? Which is no big deal but im wondering if i bought used from him id be under his warranty or the mnfr? I did find a place to test ride a fat tire on the beach thats open sat if it doesnt rain i ll hit them up. its just an off brand but will at least tell me if i hate fat tires or not lol. My typical decision making process is to worry over it till im sick of it, then just buy something and cross my fingers. Im pretty much there. 🙄

Sorry but I'm pretty burned out on brick and mortar. I want to support them but get tired of the constant whining about how they can't compete with on-line. Mom and Pop guitar stores are no different. If the mechanics of a bicycle don't present an existential threat I'd say your the perfect candidate for one of the established online Chinese distribution company's.
Until you walk in their shoes....

Yeah i read the reviews and some were from the same time frame so i discounted those and some from a few months ago.....saying they left, bike broke, cameback 3 diff times....yada yada ...you dont know what to believe anymore. And if he was right around the corner id hop over and see for myself. But, being 2 hrs away a little diff. If i hadnt had crappy luck with these lbs thus far prob have a little more hope. It also looked like or sounded like some of his bikes are technically used which is why they are so cheap...one had like 7 miles on it? Which is no big deal but im wondering if i bought used from him id be under his warranty or the mnfr? I did find a place to test ride a fat tire on the beach thats open sat if it doesnt rain i ll hit them up. its just an off brand but will at least tell me if i hate fat tires or not lol. My typical decision making process is to worry over it till im sick of it, then just buy something and cross my fingers. Im pretty much there. 🙄
You sound like your talking yourself back into something with a throttle, like another motorbike. I can appreciate the frustration with some LBS. We have 5 in my town, of which 2 are really trustworthy shops - Trek and Specialized dealers.

Just curious have you thought about building an ebike from a pedal bike? Lots of bike shops help with conversions these days, most are happy to help with things like removing bottom brackets or fixing the gearing so it works with whatever rear hub cassette you put on. For example building up a donor bike like a Jamis Durango, measure the spacing between the rear dropouts and buy a hub motor kit that fits? Reputable DIY sellers like Grin Tech, LunaCycle, EM3EV, California Ebike, etc will talk you through your needs by email or phone and match your donor bike with something that works, for example a 1200w/30mph Mac motor with 48v 14.5ah battery from EM3EV would be just over a grand including shipping. You'll have to troubleshoot if things break/don't work, but my experience with 3 DIY ebike retailers is they'll take returns provided you pay for the shipping.

Last edited:
Until you walk in their shoes....
Actually I have been in their shoes. I have not been in Crazy Lenny's yet but will no doubt be impressed. The few LBS stores I have been in and bought stuff from ( my way of showing support if I use their time ) were nice enough but totally approaching eBikes as almost a sideshow, something Giant or Trek forced on them as franchise dealers. Personally if I was young and ambitious I would see eBikes as a serious opportunity for a B&M retail outlet. The market is new and educationally starved enough to create a toehold for the right individual ( Lenny seems to have got a leg up on this). A bicycle shop owner who is a passionate road or dirt cyclist will have a difficult time dealing in an emerging markets they feel is a threat to their own passions. eBikes won't pass their purity tests. This is not theory it's what is pushing back on trail use, bike lane use etc. Activist store owners, conservation groups and horse-riders. The irony, imo, is that eBiking has actually reignited my interest in a pedal only road bike.

I can verify that my experience with Lenny's was smooth as silk. I had my bike at more doorstep in two days! Email communication was excellent.

As an aside, we have a bicycle shop "LBS" every few miles here in southern-Cal, dozens of them. I've been to four Giant dealers, three Specialized, four Trek, and a handful of specialty ebike shops. There are not very many ebikes to choose from - maybe out of 50 bikes on display 5 are ebikes.

What did I end up buying? All three of my bikes were factory-ordered - they were in stock at their DC (distribution center) either in Chicago or NY, shipped out in the factory carton, setup by the dealer, and delivered within a week. The LIV Amiti I just bought for the wife was no exception - they didn't have anything like it on the floor. But I knew what it was cuz it's a sister-bike to my Explore, I absolutely love the bike, so it was a no-brainer. Plus I got a substantial discount including sales tax, which put it nearly on par with the cheap-o china imports. Not that the Giant isn't a cheapo china import. 😆 Well, import anyway, I've got nearly ten grand in ebikes now. Warning - it's extremely addicting once you get a taste. The mountain biking is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

You just have to get to a place where you have enough awareness of what's out there, what works for you, and what is actually a good deal worth buying.
Put another way, For about 20% more than a RadCity I got wife twice the bike - at least based on my riding experience with them. We pick it up tonight.

Yamaha drive, suspension fork, juice brakes, Deore gears, 29" wheels, $1934 plus our sales tax. This is about effortless riding and comfort, a quality built bike backed by the largest bike company in the world. The dealer is a peach - place has been there seventy years, family owned and very connected to the community. "Oh, you want a different seat? No problem, we'll get you whatever you want."

MY19-Amiti-E+-2_Color-B_retouch_WEB-jpg

Actually I have been in their shoes. I have not been in Crazy Lenny's yet but will no doubt be impressed. The few LBS stores I have been in and bought stuff from ( my way of showing support if I use their time ) were nice enough but totally approaching eBikes as almost a sideshow, something Giant or Trek forced on them as franchise dealers. Personally if I was young and ambitious I would see eBikes as a serious opportunity for a B&M retail outlet. The market is new and educationally starved enough to create a toehold for the right individual ( Lenny seems to have got a leg up on this). A bicycle shop owner who is a passionate road or dirt cyclist will have a difficult time dealing in an emerging markets they feel is a threat to their own passions. eBikes won't pass their purity tests. This is not theory it's what is pushing back on trail use, bike lane use etc. Activist store owners, conservation groups and horse-riders. The irony, imo, is that eBiking has actually reignited my interest in a pedal only road bike.
Exactly. I find it ironic that anyone who is pro exercise, pro green future, pro whatever....would be anti electric bike. Commuting 5 miles each day takes me LESS time on an ebike than getting in my suv and sitting at light after light and then when i come home i dont have to stop at the gym and pay a membership to workout i just ride home with no or low assist. But at 45 after not having biked in 15 yrs on the regular and with health issues im not just gonna hop on a bike and ride 10 miles. So this is a totally practical and economical and a conservationist approach to also be in better shape. Of course im not on a trail ride....are bike shops catering to 50 yr olds with a trek moutain trail bikes? No. So they carry some ebikes and do some research and have a whole new demographic on top of their young people crowd. Whats hard about that? Plus we live at the beach. Get out of the car. Its nice.
I probably will try lennys this weekend its a lot of yesses on here so might as well.

As an aside, we have a bicycle shop "LBS" every few miles here in southern-Cal, dozens of them. I've been to four Giant dealers, three Specialized, four Trek, and a handful of specialty ebike shops. There are not very many ebikes to choose from - maybe out of 50 bikes on display 5 are ebikes.

What did I end up buying? All three of my bikes were factory-ordered - they were in stock at their DC (distribution center) either in Chicago or NY, shipped out in the factory carton, setup by the dealer, and delivered within a week. The LIV Amiti I just bought for the wife was no exception - they didn't have anything like it on the floor. But I knew what it was cuz it's a sister-bike to my Explore, I absolutely love the bike, so it was a no-brainer. Plus I got a substantial discount including sales tax, which put it nearly on par with the cheap-o china imports. Not that the Giant isn't a cheapo china import. 😆 Well, import anyway, I've got nearly ten grand in ebikes now. Warning - it's extremely addicting once you get a taste. The mountain biking is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

You just have to get to a place where you have enough awareness of what's out there, what works for you, and what is actually a good deal worth buying.
Put another way, For about 20% more than a RadCity I got wife twice the bike - at least based on my riding experience with them. We pick it up tonight.

Yamaha drive, suspension fork, juice brakes, Deore gears, 29" wheels, $1934 plus our sales tax. This is about effortless riding and comfort, a quality built bike backed by the largest bike company in the world. The dealer is a peach - place has been there seventy years, family owned and very connected to the community. "Oh, you want a different seat? No problem, we'll get you whatever you want."

MY19-Amiti-E+-2_Color-B_retouch_WEB-jpg
Thats awesome i saw some bikes on lennys site that looked good just had some specs here and there id need changed... so if they could order it and have it sent thats a good deal....lots of bikes on the site are like bulls and etc....in the 3-4k range which is over what i want to spend on a first bike. I am sure there will be a second in my future lol. I have 2 teenagers so.....
But thats another deal....if i order from lennys 2 hrs away are they gonna be able to set up and deliver that far or am i gonna have to put it together myself or drive back up there? Part of the lbs buy is having them do the initial set up, true everything, grease whatever. Dang i wish i had someone close.

My experience was,
They play the "shipping" game a bit. That is, they want to charge a shipping fee and they won't give the lowest price possible and then knock off another $200 for shipping if you pick up. So in my mind I justified it with what is the lowest price I could get out the door. That included tax, shipping etc.

Then the bike came mostly assembled.
I had to:
1. Attach the handle bar...4 screws
2. Attach the front wheel, it's a QR no tools needed.
3. Air up the tires. They are deflated enough that they are not rideable out of the box.
4. Screw in both petals.

From box to riding was maybe 40 minutes. None of the assembly required any high-end bike repair skills.

That was it, other than adjusting sag for suspension parts.

My experience was,
They play the "shipping" game a bit. That is, they want to charge a shipping fee and they won't give the lowest price possible and then knock off another $200 for shipping if you pick up. So in my mind I justified it with what is the lowest price I could get out the door. That included tax, shipping etc.

Then the bike came mostly assembled.
I had to:
1. Attach the handle bar...4 screws
2. Attach the front wheel, it's a QR no tools needed.
3. Air up the tires. They are deflated enough that they are not rideable out of the box.
4. Screw in both petals.

From box to riding was maybe 40 minutes. None of the assembly required any high-end bike repair skills.

That was it, other than adjusting sag for suspension parts.
Ah so even with the extra $200 thats not a bad price....i just dont know if they are even gonna have what i need im gonna call and ask some questions first....like shipping, cause it looks like they basically have one or two of a lot of brands and to get exactly what i want i ll have to order it. Warranty issues etc. I really would think being 20 miles to Tampa they would have a decent place but ive looked and cant find any shops there that even hardly SELL ebikes. Much less have brands and styles to choose from....specialized, trek and giant or the jupiter place whatever that is. The place that has an assortment here of 5 or 6 doesnt let anyone test ride. Like wth dude!? Ridiculous process this is.

I really would think being 20 miles to Tampa they would have a decent place but ive looked and cant find any shops there that even hardly SELL ebikes.
You mentioned earlier you would consider Magnum brand, their Mi6 bike got a decent review here on EBR and there is a Magnum dealer in St Pete.

You mentioned earlier you would consider Magnum brand, their Mi6 bike got a decent review here on EBR and there is a Magnum dealer in St Pete.
Prob on 66th st the one with the mish mash. Imma go back there and see but they only had 4 or 5 bikes. A trek, an aventon, magnum and 2 others i didnt care for. However cant ride them.....

However cant ride them.....
Ah well, Lenny’s shows the higher spec Magnum Peak model in their inventory but you would have to call ahead to find if they can get in an Mi6 or ship the Peak to their Winter Garden location.

Ah well, Lenny’s shows the higher spec Magnum Peak model in their inventory but you would have to call ahead to find if they can get in an Mi6 or ship the Peak to their Winter Garden location.
Yeah im gonna call tomorrow and ask some stuff and see what they have for class 3 commuters or all purpose and what they can usually get. He has a wide variety but in class 3 the metro was all i saw under 3 grand. And ive seen the metro i like the looks of it and decent specs. Not a juiced but local reps. Trade off. Am i ever going to be going 30 anyway? Idk. We ll see tomorrow. $50 in gas driving theres another cost. 🙄 i just hate to go there and end up paying more for less and having to have it delivered anyway. Just to ride them. Ugh.

I saw a guy today going home riding one of those little tiny playskool scooter/bikes they advertise online with like the couple riding...that you fold up and put in your pocket. Glad i didnt go that route.

Back