Info overload on first ebike help. 4 months of research

Sharkbait

Hi all. First post and have read thru so many related posts dont have a solution yet. So, i am ready to pull the trigger and thought i would go the local lbs. HOWEVER , as has been noted there are a lot of issues with that namely:
1. The first shop i went to said, we DID carry ebikes and we are getting out of ebikes. Now what if I had bought from them? All my "warranty and service" advantages gone.
2. Most ebike places here are brand specific....giant, trek, pedego. None of which i want
3. The other 3 lbs i did visit had no knowledge of the ebikes they were selling ("never heard of a 750watt nominal...what does that mean?", or "im not sure the battery size i ll have to check", etc. Like zero knowledge ...less than me!
So i have 3 questions.
1. Considering the limited lbs choices i see now choice but to go d to c unless there is something im missing. So lbs Yes? No?
They have even said, we dont have demos to ride so then what is even the point?

2. Will be used in fla, mostly flat with some slight inclines at overpasses and used for commuting on horrid roads, potholes, sand spurs etc and need solid tires. Would like to go off beaten path on weekends also but nothing extreme. Will fat tires suck for that? I see both reviews people having a blast commuting on rad rovers and people saying fat tires suck and are thin and get constant flats?

3. Mid vs hub. Dont need torque for hills but we do have wind here on the beach and shifting is not a strong point for me so worry i will tear up a drivetrain and be out a $1000 motor that is encased amd cant just be replaced easily. Then again flats with hubs seem to suck and dont want to be down every week woth flat repair.

Brands i have narrowed to:

Aventon level (has at least a local dealer but they are jerks and didnt have any for me to ride and the motor is only 500w

Biktrik jugg classic: more money but not much and more powerful motor and battery...no help working on it here tho

Surface604 shred....middrive i think....not sure about my success with or need for that

Juiced: better components for the ccx but soooo many complaints with issues.....

I would like some speed tockeep up with traffic in commuting but not a speed freak.
Would like to take some offroading.
Would like to get exercise ...more sporty than a just a moped deal.

Any advice to sort out the lbs, tire and motor issues would help immensely. Much thanks!!

LBLs are only good for the big name brands as you have discovered, you pay extra to support the LBL and to support manufacture's heavy-weight business and marketing. You get some warranty that sometimes is OK, you get someone to talk to, and you get someone to fix your bike (sometimes). You get a lot of BS about middrives vs Hub drive, you get a lot of BS about batteries, you get a lot of BS about range, reliability, etc. Now there are good bike shops, but not everywhere.

There are a few specialty e-bike shops that you can get something different, but they are not everywhere. Maybe someone in your area can give you a suggestion.

Relax, don't figure you can get the perfect bike the first time out, and buy a bike. It will be what you make of it as long as you geta reasonable bike.

Ride as many as possible if you really need to to test thinks like tires, cadence vs torque, etc... or just buy something and go with it for a while.

A lot of good starter bikes are reviewed on EBR. My advice is buy one, start riding, and you'll learn a lot more for the next one.

Ride as many as possible if you really need to to test thinks like tires, cadence vs torque, etc... or just buy something and go with it for a while.[/QUOTE

Agreed. Test rides really help narrow the field. Depending on your location, is renting a possibility?
Or maybe a road trip to a larger bike shop.

Last edited:
I researched for months and settled on the Biktrix classic. I like it A LOT it's a very fun ride.
But if you are looking to mostly ride tar trails I'd reconsider. I use mine on snow trails and total offroading for hunting.

It is a very capable off road machine---it is a tank! But those characteristics don't make it a good tar cruiser.

Sure you can do it, but I found myself wanting thinner tires and a lighter bike on tar trails.

In terms of speed, most US bikes are capped at 20mph. You can find some 28mph bikes but you gotta look for them.
You won't keep up with traffic on the Juggernaut.

I just wen trough the process and settled on the Giant Fathom E+, because I can take it to commute, offroad, local service and the price was the best. Why are you 'against' the brand specific stores?

You are not going to keep up with traffic on any legal eBike. You don't mention what kind of bike mechanic or electrical troubleshooter you are. Know what a multimeter is? The answer to buy from a local shop or not, do you think you can repair a bike with telephone or email help? But from what I read on your post, you just need someone to tell you which internet bike to buy. You have nothing positive to say about your local shops. Sorry, I have no experience with any of the bikes.

OP, where in Florida? I believe Crazy Lenny (popular dealer on EBR known to offer steep discounts) has a Florida location:

Surface604 shred....middrive i think

Rear hub. Which is probably fine for you without hills. I've never ridden a fat bike so can't offer any insights on ride.

Last edited:
I researched for months and settled on the Biktrix classic. I like it A LOT it's a very fun ride.
But if you are looking to mostly ride tar trails I'd reconsider. I use mine on snow trails and total offroading for hunting.

It is a very capable off road machine---it is a tank! But those characteristics don't make it a good tar cruiser.

Sure you can do it, but I found myself wanting thinner tires and a lighter bike on tar trails.

In terms of speed, most US bikes are capped at 20mph. You can find some 28mph bikes but you gotta look for them.
You won't keep up with traffic on the Juggernaut.

Very helpful. I have seen some rads around and they are awesome looking and i see so many reviews on people commuting and how fun they are but have thought (from a history of dirtbikes and atving) that the tires would be a "drag" to deal with having only 20mph after a while on just pavement. My biggest thing about biktrix was they were supposed to be so "fast"....not sluggish like a rad wouldbe for me. But this does help clarify that for city driving i may be better served to get a less expensive commuter like an aventon and then id still have enough for another offroader like the biktrix 😁

I just wen trough the process and settled on the Giant Fathom E+, because I can take it to commute, offroad, local service and the price was the best. Why are you 'against' the brand specific stores?

I dont want a battery pack on the back, i think pedegos are way overpriced for what they are, giants are nice but out of my price range for a first bike and getting what i want i think altho they are the closest to it, not sure about a middrive even if it is a good one. I need a throttle im not in a bike friendly area and driving is.....well not a local skill. Have to be quick so idk that i really want torque and natural feel etc. I want speed when i need it and then to beable to ride it home for a workout basically. Then explore offroad on weekends....beach etc. But i do like the giant maybe riding one would convert me lol.

You are not going to keep up with traffic on any legal eBike. You don't mention what kind of bike mechanic or electrical troubleshooter you are. Know what a multimeter is? The answer to buy from a local shop or not, do you think you can repair a bike with telephone or email help? But from what I read on your post, you just need someone to tell you which internet bike to buy. You have nothing positive to say about your local shops. Sorry, I have no experience with any of the bikes.

Well i grew up on dirtbikes and atvs and working on cars....and trucks...lol. So i have a fair amount of knowledge as far as i can def put a bike together and use a meter and etc but not a bike pro dont reallly want to have a "project". Already had a couple chevys. 😉 i have seen the whole crank arm removal videos and finding specific tools noone makes and i see furious weekends dealing with issues. Which is why i said the middrives look nice but a hub....ive seen people here with bikes that have the frame duct taped together but that hub drive is still going lol. I just dont want to enjoy the bike not work on it. I am also a single parent and 45 so i have other crap to do like snake my main line or build a deck ...im not fond of being aggravated by a bike on blocks . As fot lbs im sure all experiences are diff. Here in fla i think because we have lots of bike shop places they just started selling ebikes but i am also not wanting some shmo to sell me a bike and i know more than he does ...he may take on the warranty but that doesnt help me not wait 2 weeks for parts and labor and returning when he didnt fix it right....etc. Headache.
Florida is an odd place. Youd just have to experience it lol.

OP, where in Florida? I believe Crazy Lenny (popular dealer on EBR known to offer steep discounts) has a Florida location:

Rear hub. Which is probably fine for you without hills. I've never ridden a fat bike so can't offer any insights on ride.

Yes crazy lennys is about an hour and a half from here. So a full day there and back basically ....we re not really commuters down here (and i did enough in my d.c. days). I would make the trek haha if i thought he would have what i needed or find what i liked etc...but ive been so many places here that basically have all reg bikes and like 5 ebikes or they have all one brand that are 5 grand.... Im a little bunt out on it.
Like its an ebike. I know "frame geometry" and "gear ratios" and blah blah but, idc about that. This isnt going to be my new line of work or anything i just want to ride it. Lol. I have never put this much thought into a bicycle smh.
I get some are better but frankly its all from china so its just a matter of who is putting it together the way you want and who stands behind their work. Buying the brand more than the bike basically.

I think i agree the hub is also the way to start and one day if i upgrade my teenager can have the hub. We have been thru several escooters....razors, glions...so i can get a scooter for $600 with a 500w motor and 36v battery and get where im going with a backpack and zero moving parts really. I have 2 now lol. I just cant sit on it or carey bags on it but it goes from point a to b, has a motor and a battery and no flats. so i guess i dont get all the fuss.
I dont need special things. Im very practical. I need a multi purpose bike that doesnt break down every weekend and get flats every day and runs for a good 2-3 yrs min.
Im in clearwater btw.

Plus all the giants i saw ...no display, no rack or fenders for commuting and very low wh batteries only 500 wh for top of the line (3k for the fathom at 400wh). And ive seen even the yamaha midmotor has issues with slipping. I felt like giant is more for people who enjoy riding a bike for the sake of riding a bike. Which is cool but not my intent i guess? Ive always ridden bikes but am from a motorbike/atv background so im more interested in thr "taking the unbeaten path " aspect of biking and in my situation need a throttle and some pep for commuting in city type set up ...i like the whole rad rover set up, for ex...but i know being restricted to 20 mph will kill me. Bc 20p mph on an electric vehicle is TOP speed which really means 15 with wind and after the first 2 miles....any tiny hill...etc. Having ridden escooters i know i want as much power as i can get bc its going to dwindle over time and with conditions and wont ever perform at peak except maybe the first week, going downhill lol. Lots of wind here at the beach and 15mps feels like standing still. If i thought i could not draw attention on a super73 id totally go for that😁

Ecotric 26" Fattie sand bike...859...hub. With front suspension added via Amazon, $908. Fun bike. Some 26x4 road tires would make it a comfy commuter. Better than a Walmart bike component wise. Even the welds on mine are better than simply passable. There is just no way at my age this bike will ever see "air" so... . I did have a customer service problem with shipping damage on my wife's 20" folder and the company responded quickly with a fair solution....zero drama. Sorry but I'm pretty burned out on brick and mortar. I want to support them but get tired of the constant whining about how they can't compete with on-line. Mom and Pop guitar stores are no different. If the mechanics of a bicycle don't present an existential threat I'd say your the perfect candidate for one of the established online Chinese distribution company's.

Couple things:
1. I rode/rented the Rad Rover several times before buying. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The Rad is a 750 Watt hub drive and the Jug is mid drive. Both have pro's and con's.
But after riding the Rad I thought, hmmmm I can do better than this for not a lot more money. That led me to the Jug. Even with the Rad you will not get local support. They don't have many/any(I don't know for a fact) dealers outside Seattle.

2. The Jug has 135/190 5mmm QR hubs on the 4" tires. That spacing is considered "old" and will limit your rim choices.

3. I decided that even if I did find a set of narrow rims(BikTrix sells them) it was going to cost me AT least $500.

SOOOOO....I thought hmmm consider the $500 rim cost a "discount" on a different bike.

I bought a BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 full suspension off Crazy Lenny's for $1700 out the door. Shipping/tax everything. I have not ridden this bike much yet, we still have 2' of snow, but I've ridden it around the block to set it up and I think I'm going to love this bike! Full suspension is awesome! Ya the fat tire floats but, full suspension on a nimble bike is the cat's meow!

BikTrix Jug $1800
BH Rebel $1700

Two bikes entry level E-bikes,,,one summer bike and one winter bike $3500 ! I can live with that!

With all that said....check out the BikTrix Swift...they have an (off-road) version in 1000 Watts. (not street legal) ;)

Couple things:
1. I rode/rented the Rad Rover several times before buying. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The Rad is a 750 Watt hub drive and the Jug is mid drive. Both have pro's and con's.
But after riding the Rad I thought, hmmmm I can do better than this for not a lot more money. That led me to the Jug. Even with the Rad you will not get local support. They don't have many/any(I don't know for a fact) dealers outside Seattle.

2. The Jug has 135/190 5mmm QR hubs on the 4" tires. That spacing is considered "old" and will limit your rim choices.

3. I decided that even if I did find a set of narrow rims(BikTrix sells them) it was going to cost me AT least $500.

SOOOOO....I thought hmmm consider the $500 rim cost a "discount" on a different bike.

I bought a BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 full suspension off Crazy Lenny's for $1700 out the door. Shipping/tax everything. I have not ridden this bike much yet, we still have 2' of snow, but I've ridden it around the block to set it up and I think I'm going to love this bike! Full suspension is awesome! Ya the fat tire floats but, full suspension on a nimble bike is the cat's meow!

BikTrix Jug $1800
BH Rebel $1700

Two bikes entry level E-bikes,,,one summer bike and one winter bike $3500 ! I can live with that!

With all that said....check out the BikTrix Swift...they have an (off-road) version in 1000 Watts. (not street legal) ;)

Thats an interesting point about the hub spacing. I have considered tires related to comfort , weight and etc and even to the extent what if i want a smaller tire can i just put some schwalbes on it or etc but wasnt aware the hub spacing could possibly outdate my rim options so good point to consider thx!
As for rad yes i wouldnt buy one bc i know they are solid but mostly marketing and the same or better bike can be gotten lots of places. Ive talked to a guy who builds them here on khs frames and another he uses but he quoted me 2200 (a luna mid drive 1500w motor but still) so for the diy look id just rather go prefab. I know it wont be "high performance" but im also payijg to "blend in" not get stopped everyday and asked if im on amper on the sidewalk (electrics are sidewalk legal here also). And ive looked at luna but again, diyish and too many kinks still....for the hobbyist imo still.
Which, is why ive been researching for months lol.
Im not overly worried about "street legal" bc our elaws here are very liberal and because im 45 and not planning to face plant doing 40 on the asphalt lol. Those days are gone.
But, having had electric motors and scooters and such i know that the "ratings" are just the optimal conditions performance not the every day experience. The battery is gonna start to fade after 6 months or so of charging and recharging and lose some top end, the wind and conditions will slow u down, etc. So if a bike says it will go 35 to me that means its got the motor to spare to do 25 for a long time, if that makes sense.
I may have to take a trip to lennys saturday i guess its worth having no regrets. 😁

Ecotric 26" Fattie sand bike...859...hub. With front suspension added via Amazon, $908. Fun bike. Some 26x4 road tires would make it a comfy commuter. Better than a Walmart bike component wise. Even the welds on mine are better than simply passable. There is just no way at my age this bike will ever see "air" so... . I did have a customer service problem with shipping damage on my wife's 20" folder and the company responded quickly with a fair solution....zero drama. Sorry but I'm pretty burned out on brick and mortar. I want to support them but get tired of the constant whining about how they can't compete with on-line. Mom and Pop guitar stores are no different. If the mechanics of a bicycle don't present an existential threat I'd say your the perfect candidate for one of the established online Chinese distribution company's.
lol yes i wont have any capes flying behind me either but, im not dead yet 😁 i still dont want to just totter around theres time in my electric wheelchair and golf cart for that. 😳
I gave the ecotric a cursory look, watched some videos....but like all bikes it seemed to me at the time i thought, " yeah but for another 3 or 400 bucks.........." Which is the trap you get into at this price point. Do i want to eat 1000k, or do i want to go big or go home and get exactly what i want and suck up the extra price front end. Im old now so i dont want to spend the money and still be shopping. If u know what i mean. I also am burned out from brick and morter bc the customer service has gone to crap and i dont see how being overtly loyal to overpriced jerks is helping me in life any. Js. If the price was right and the bike was right, id gladly give an extra few bucks to go local but nobody close to me works on anything they dont sell, and theyve all been 'bought out' by 3 companies....pedego trek and giant. Prob bc there is more profit margin i get it but i dont want a 4000k bike with 2 hours of battery life and no throttle??!!🤔🙄 no.

And yes guitars same.....ugh with the music stores but i thankfully have a good one closeby where my kids take guitar with some good ol OG musicians so....thats nice.
I ll give the eco a second look and see .....whats your speed and range like ?

A trip to Crazy Lenny's would be beneficial to you IMO. They have a great selection of bikes, great prices and service, plenty to choose from and get educated with. And they'll let you try them out in the parking lot.
You've made so many wrong assumptions we're not even going to go there, but I am relatively confident that trip to a good shop will really put you on the right path. Too bad the ones you found were duds - we have them here in so-Cal too. Some are good. Some are not.

Fifty years of motorcycling too...had to quit before I got turned into a quadriplegic. 😇

A trip to Crazy Lenny's would be beneficial to you IMO. They have a great selection of bikes, great prices and service, plenty to choose from and get educated with. And they'll let you try them out in the parking lot.
You've made so many wrong assumptions we're not even going to go there, but I am relatively confident that trip to a good shop will really put you on the right path. Too bad the ones you found were duds - we have them here in so-Cal too. Some are good. Some are not.

Fifty years of motorcycling too...had to quit before I got turned into a quadriplegic. 😇
Omg yeah im sure once i ride a few different types i ll know immediately. Im afraid lol. I know when i go i ll come home with a bike haha but at least i wont have to put it together and would have a place to go if something horrible happened like....well....things that have happened to other various "vehicles" ive had. I guess its just not possible to make the best choice without testing. I was hoping i could gather enough evidence to make a good one, but i guess i will have to break down and go ride them all. Lol. So old and spoiled by amazon am I.

And yes I am even cautious on my scooter because as court says, the "attack angle" is very bad 😂 i have been "attacked" several times.

just my 2cents...I think half the legal thing is if you are riding like a maniac and drawing attention your gonna get pinched.

yep getting on a bike and riding it will streamline your thinking fast.

Back