IGH questions

I am considering alternatives for the Shimano Nexus 8 IGH I currently pair with a Bafang BBS01 mid-drive on a converted Breezer Downtown with horizontal dropouts. I was contemplating either Enviolo cargo or Shimano Nexus Inter-5e. Both appear to be stronger and able to take mid-drive torque. Are there particular issues with mounting the Enviolo? I seem to recall reading somewhere the action of shifting tends to pull on the hub which can loosen belt tension but my frame doesn't have a frame break to mount a belt and I don't want to use the Veer split belt so I would use a standard chain and sprocket. All advice much appreciated.
Hi I’ve got the N380SE, when fitting get a ‘Nuvinci, cable ends jig’, for setting the free length of the inner cable. If you swap the top cable with the bottom one the twist grip responds oppositely.
Eg, to make it turn the same way as an SA hub’s rotary shifter. Pull back for a lower gear ratio and forward for a higher gear.
I chose the simple and cheapest rotary shifter. I think the little orange man is a silly little chappie. Something else to consider.
My 380 doesn’t like passing between the high and low sides of the range. No problem changing ratio while rolling but when stationary to enter from the high half to the low half of the box is difficult. Feeling the change over it’s as if a line it doesn’t like to cross over and it’s as if it traps you in either side of the equator until rotary movement releases things. Movement within each hemisphere is free but crossing that line needs learning. I love my N380, but I am sufficed with an SA, X-rd3. Cheap lots of spares cheap and low maintenance reliability.

I just made this one. It has a perfect Nexus 7 with built-in roller brake. The bike is 25-years-old. I used the super strong KMC e1 chain. They are hard to come by but worth it. I stripped off all oils and then used MucOff C3 dry ceramic lube. It is amazing how much crud comes off of a brand new chain. It will stretch by the second week as part of break-in. Because the rider is older and lives on a hill, I used a 36-t narrow/wide ring.

Attachments

• Globe5 (2).JPG
    Globe5 (2).JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 119
Back