If you had $3K burning a whole in your pocket?

Without question the best bang for your buck is a SmartMotion Pacer. Screaming fast, great build quality, lights up like a Christmas tree at night, Schwalbe Big Ben tires, great bamboo rack, front fork head shock, the best display on the market, and a throttle just in case you need it.

Orange Pacer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the demo event today and rode the xm700 and powerfly 7. Both were very nice and I really liked the feel of the full suspension on the powerfly and decided the xm700 was the best fit for me but the trek store manager wouldn't really work with me on the price and the bottom dollar on the bike was $3250 and it was the last one the had and was dropped at some point and was scraped up a bit. So I decided to hold off. I think I'm going to wait and see what comes out at interbike and hopefully pick up a good deal on something in the next month or so. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

> the best bang for your buck is a SmartMotion Pacer. Screaming fast,.....

A 500w geared-hub motor can be "screaming fast"? It's as fast as a 500w motor, which isn't. The way mid-drive technology is evolving, hubs are beginning to appear like old school dinosaurs.

A 500w geared-hub motor can be "screaming fast"? It's as fast as a 500w motor, which isn't. The way mid-drive technology is evolving, hubs are beginning to appear like old school dinosaurs.
Or the $2,700 Smartmotion Catalyst with standard front suspension.
upload_2017-9-17_8-34-41.png

Now, we are coming into a full circle for best value speed pedelec. If the above choices were presented, then I cannot help myself but think that the best value is still the $1,700 Crosscurrent S. Kudos to Tora Harris for making it a reality. However, this is not for the faint of heart since these are all new (new production, new model line up, new equipments, new etc...). Meaning all these "new" things has yet to be fully tested as a whole product.
upload_2017-9-17_8-41-0.png

It's true that the mid drives are making tremendous leap forward and leaving the hub drives like dinosaurs. However, hub drives have their values appreciated on paved roads with small hills for it's drive train durability, ease of shifting, high speed efficiency, and raw speed. With more advanced programming of the controller, the hub drive can be as good as a mid drive in overall efficiency.

Last edited:

We sell both mid drives and rear hubs. If you are mountain climbing you definitely want a mid-drive. If you are road commuting rear hubs are easier to get to speed, easier to maintain speed regardless of gear selection, and today's rear hubs are almost bullet proof. Hub drives will be around for a long time.

Its horses for courses.
Friend has Pacer, which bought solely for commuting, pay back is 2yrs of bus fares. As car replacement and commuter it is brilliant, excellent lighting, mudguards, racks with good components. If your commute doesn't involve steep hills then it is excellent choice. Has electronic locking, if stolen only dealer can unlock it, something a lot of other drive maufacturers should be doing. The only upgrade he has done is suntour suspension seat and decent puncture resist tires, must on hub drive.
If your plans also include touring with some light offroad work then middrive with front fork would be better choice.

You can get most bikes that list for $3500 for 3k any day of the week. Often for more off list price than that.

I'm not sure their full suspension eMTBs are equipped for racks/fenders and don't forget lighting. For sure the hardtail Powerfly 5 (2018) is equipped for racks/fenders but at $3,500 without any add ons is outside the stated budget of $3K.

You can get most bikes that list for $3500 for 3k any day of the week. Often for more off list price than that.
Maybe. But on a 2018 Trek that may not even be in showrooms yet? I doubt there will be much of a discount short term. That would be a neat trick though: take a $3500 list price 2018, add rack, fenders and lighting and get it for under $3000. Not saying it isn't possible...

Back