Agreed. I am just not sure whether I want to disassemble the bike and ship the parts back to AddMotor again and wait a couple of weeks for them to do their "testing" another time. Getting back to the original post, customers should not have to jump through this many hoops to get their malfunctioning bikes fixed.Your welcome.
As I thought, looks like your problem is a short.
However you have only treated the symptom not the short. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue comes back, or even if it doesn't, I would want to find and fix the actual short. Which means opening the controller and/or the motor for a visual inspection and/or continuity testing.