I hate your ebike...

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
That's the title of this article. Your blood might boil, but you'll cry, then laugh, maybe learn something and then laugh again. This article isn't for us, the initiated, it's for "dinosaur" bike crowd. Worth the read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pvcycling.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/i-hate-your-e-bike/amp/

[ADMIN EDIT] I'm hijacking the top comment here to attach a .pdf backup of the story, in case it ever goes down. It's nice to link to the original source to pay respect and provide credit as done, thanks J.R. :)

Attachments

• i-hate-your-ebike-article.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 1,467
Definitely all of the above; however, the author might just be a wee bit jealous and not really hating the ebikes quite so much as you think ;)
Good read, though.

Definitely all of the above; however, the author might just be a wee bit jealous and not really hating the ebikes quite so much as you think ;)
Good read, though.
I like the phrase "dino bike". I'm going to appropriate that for my non-ebike, and as a good natured description of friends push bikes.

Sounds like the first arguments since the first horseless carriage hit the road. Give ebikes some time and they will as normal as everything else. I would be still driving to work if it wasn't for my ebike.

It always amazes me folks don't think these items are cheating:
- running is cheating compared to walking
- biking is cheating compared to jogging
- full suspension MTB is cheating compared to a hardtail MTB
- motorcycle is cheating compared to a bike
- elevator is cheating compared to stairs
- grocery store is cheating compared to being a hunter/gatherer living off the land
- going to a dentist for filling is cheating compared to a pair of pliers and a bottle of Jack Daniels

Only ebikes seem to get this bad rap? Don't know how to change the ebike image?

Sounds like the first arguments since the first horseless carriage hit the road. Give ebikes some time and they will as normal as everything else. I would be still driving to work if it wasn't for my ebike.

- grocery store is cheating compared to being a hunter/gatherer living off the land
- going to a dentist for filling is cheating compared to a pair of pliers and a bottle of Jack Daniels

The article makes that point as well. It's designed to draw in the roadie crowd and attempts to teach them something about ebikes. Very clever writing.

Great article! I LOL'd my way through. I can't find where to add a comment to the end of article where the other comments are, but I'd really like to offer one.

Did anyone else think the "S&M bike path" a little odd? Who would name a bike path S&M? Is that a real bike path? Is it a double entendre? Or is some road biking akin to receiving pleasure from acts involving the receipt of pain and humiliation?

I Googled it and couldn't find a bike path with such a name.

Terrific read!
The sly humor and embedded revelations are spot on... isn't this the driver behind every 'Cheater' insult thrown at ebikes?:
"...while introducing my duly impressed wife into the mysteries of #profamateur cycling, and some jerk on a 60-pound bike owned me like Muhammed Ali in the 8th Round of the Rumble in the Jungle. My hatred knew no bounds..."

The writer is in greater Los Angeles, on the “S&M” bike path approaching Admiralty. That would put him in Marina del Rey, coming from Palos Verdes. He is referring to the Santa Monica bike path, better known as the Venice Boardwalk. And yes, this would be tongue in cheek.

The bike path is crowded, full of strollers, bikini clad roller skaters, lowrider bicycles, and slow moving cross walkers. It is a painfully slow and fraught route, but great for sightseeing. There is frequently a line 10 guys long on bikes and skateboards all following a girl skater in a thong bikini. It is a kind of a California parade, on Muscle Beach.

Rincon-I have been on that path a few years back. A local friend of mine relocated to MarinaDelRey and his apartment was a stone throw from that coastal/ocean side path. Never a dull moment. It also heads south as well which opens up quite a bit. Awesome way to spend your summer in that neck of the woods on your bike.

I am so new to E-Biking that I am still waiting for my conversion system to arrive. However, that was one of the best written and funniest articles ever! I am still wondering if my "profamateur" friends will reject me and my converted E-Bent when I show up to ride (and keep up with them) for the 1st time.
Great diversion at work today...Thanks!

Well, the article was sort-of a sham, obviously written to make the objections to ebikes look silly and petty and to extoll the virtues of ebikes. So far my experiences (though I'm very early into this journey) from dino-cyclists has been very positive. I have a good friend who has been riding and racing bikes for most of his life and is a very accomplished and driven cyclist. When I told him about my ebike purchase he was nothing but happy for me and encouraging He wanted to learn more and is quite open to trying it out. I will share my ebike with anyone who wants to give it a try (for a few minutes ;))

Riding anything but a penny farthing is cheating! :)

Back